Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wheel theft is common everywhere
    Wheel theft CAN happen anywhere. However, it is going to happen in a poor city a hell of a lot more than in some ritzy suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wheel theft CAN happen anywhere. However, it is going to happen in a poor city a hell of a lot more than in some ritzy suburb.
    No, they will simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb and drive the car to that poor city and then....commit the theft of the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    No, they will simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb and drive the car to that poor city and then....commit the theft of the wheels.

If it's so easy to "simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb" than why not "simply carjack the person" in the "poor city" instead of committing "the theft of the wheels" in the "poor city"?

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    If it's so easy to "simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb" than why not "simply carjack the person" in the "poor city" instead of committing "the theft of the wheels" in the "poor city"?
    Would you like to re-word your statement?

I can't understand the gist of it. Crime is crime regardless. It does not matter if it done in the poor city or the ritzy suburb. No one wants to be a vitcim of crime.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Would you like to re-word your statement?

I can't understand the gist of it. Crime is crime regardless. It does not matter if it done in the poor city or the ritzy suburb. No one wants to be a vitcim of crime.

Yes, you're using an apples to oranges comparison. Crime is going to be higher in an area that spends less on policing. Someone rolls tires down the street in a poor area and no one cares because police response times are so long. Contrast. Someone tried to break into my new car last week in the middle of the day with a clothes hanger. They saw my neighbour after he yelled at them and they ran off. I called the cops after my neighbour banged on my door. The police cruiser was here in 2 minutes. How long would it take for a Detroit cruiser to get there? Detroit doesn't spend enough money on policing. Suburbs vs. big city. Apples to oranges comparison.

I don't blame the guy for going on TV.
    No one else cares.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Cause the chances of the driver having a gun are much higher in the 'poor city" over the "ritzy suburb".

Why does the reporter keep saying "Palmer Park?"

How do they get all 4 wheels in 7 seconds? Four guys spinning all the lugnuts off? Do the thieves typically use a jack or do they use those paving bricks?

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    How do they get all 4 wheels in 7 seconds? Four guys spinning all the lugnuts off? Do the thieves typically use a jack or do they use those paving bricks?
    My old neighbor in OC found his two SUV's on the paving bricks. I think they use whatever is available. They prop the brick underneath a strong point, loosen the lugnuts, then let the air out so the car rest on the bricks. Only way I can think they do it without using a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    The thieves were most likely using a jack [[Or jacks) and a battery powered impact. The blocks are used to set the car down without pinning the jack in place. You don't want to leave your tools behind.

UFO Guest

pointless as usual

It's not Palmer Woods. I would guess it is Sherwood Forest--Palmer Woods does not have curbs.

Friend on West Outer Drive in Dearborn Hts. had all four wheels stolen from car in driveway last year.

I have a story that I have written here previously. Brand-new car with dealer tag in back window. Hear funny squeaking in the summer night but not alarmed. Squeaking continues so I get up and look out bedroom window - just curious. A guy has my new car up on jacks and is removing the wheels! Have my second set of keys with remote alarm hanging on a hook at bedroom window. I turn on the alarm and also the rooftop horn that can be accessed from an installation in my closet. Guy melts away. In the morning, put all the lug nuts dropped in the street back on and go immediately to the tire store to buy TWO different sets of wheel locks [[in case the thief happens to have a wrench for one of the sets). No more trouble. Obviously, a big attractant is the new car with brand-new tires. Need to put a real plate on as soon as possible so as not to attract attention to newness of car. Or not park on the street.

Can you get good locking lug nuts at Autozone or Pep Boys?

Can you get good locking lug nuts at Autozone or Pep Boys?
    ... and how much do they cost? I have racing tire$.

I know that there are myriad reasons for crime in the city and I hope I'm not too off-topic here; but, after reading the posts on this thread I have to ask if the main root of crime in Detroit is the heroin trade. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of The Wire. What do the experts think is the main problem?

Listen...I lived in Detroit for four years from 2005 to 2009 and never had a crime incident happen to me, well except for my car getting broken into in my parent's driveway in WEST BLOOMFIELD.

My industry gets me pretty involved with the charachterisits of a lot of the suburbs. Wheels getting stolen has been happening ever since I can remember in every burb. If you have high-profile wheels, wheel locks are a must.

Bottom line is...this neighborhood may be in decline and this is probably why this guy is leaving NOT necesarily because of these two incidents. If these two incidents happened just over the last week, there is no way he made this decision and plan in one week's time because of the incidents. He probably was going to be gone no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    I'm embrassing myself because I have this crazy idea that vehicular larcenies are lower in Bloomfield Township than in Detroit?? Gee thanks for "educating" me...

Why don't you call the Bloomfield Township PD and "educate" them. Tell them their stats are all wrong, and Long Lake Road is indistinguishable from Seven Mile. That should be good for a hearty laugh on their end. Hell, maybe recommend they quit their tough beat on the streets of Bloomfield and go for a sleepy, no-action gig at the DPD!

Their crime stats are linked below...

http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Services/Police/2008AnnualReport/2008AnnualReport.pdf
    You went from “never” to “lower”. Don’t be such a dunce and stop whining.

Bla, bla, bla...

Everything is relative. There's violence in Mogadishu and violence in Copenhagen, so Mogadishu=Copenhagen, right? No difference whatsoever, right?
    Usually someone dies or is hurt badly. I think that’s a pretty universal outcome for violence.

One shouldn't have to even lock one's car door if parked in the driveway of their residence. Period.

If you need to worry about any additional preventive measures beyond door locks, you by definition live in an unsafe area where the police cannot control things, and you should get the hell out.
    But one shouldn’t leave one’s car open in the driveway of their residence. This type of thing literally invites crime. Even in areas where the police are much better than the DPD, this “Laissez-faire” attitude is rather stupid. Fortunately for you, the rest of your neighbors: lock their car doors, have alarm systems, and are a little more aware. This significantly reduces the area's vulnerability to crime because thieves realize that the chances that they will stumble upon an unlocked car or an unprotected home are little to one.

I myself 99% of the time lock up my truck.With the way things are if I went out to my truck and my empty pop bottles were gone along with the scrap aluminum in there. I myself would be at fault, But live and learn.
    As I say that house the man is up and leaving looks like a nice house and it is unfortunate that his time in the city ended that way, Yet as the heading of the thread states this story could be told a million times.And too bad that is soo true.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    You went from “never” to “lower”. Don’t be such a dunce and stop whining.

Usually someone dies or is hurt badly. I think that’s a pretty universal outcome for violence.

But one shouldn’t leave one’s car open in the driveway of their residence. This type of thing literally invites crime. Even in areas where the police are much better than the DPD, this “Laissez-faire” attitude is rather stupid. Fortunately for you, the rest of your neighbors: lock their car doors, have alarm systems, and are a little more aware. This significantly reduces the area's vulnerability to crime because thieves realize that the chances that they will stumble upon an unlocked car or an unprotected home are little to one.
    That's Crawford for you, he always thinks outside the box.

Here was my solution to crime when I lived in Detroit!

The just shoot them! In another post they shot the owners dog, and in another post they put the family cat in the washing machine.

As far as I am concerned the problem lies in the total breakdown of society. Peoples hands are tied when it comes to creating jobs. [[see the thread on illegal businesses) When we were there I spoke with people who came to D when the factories were in full swing. They said when they got off the bus jobs were waiting.

People must survive, but the decent options are dwindling away, crime is the next solution. Then when crime is out of control, and no businesses are there to support services everyone is perplexed and wants to call in the military which is the wrong move.

Government is a reflection of the people who elect them. Detroit is a reflection of the population.

The news filmed this story to protect his privacy by using footage of adjacent homes. I know the exact house and it is in the University District [[I've lived here ten years).

No one should have their wheels stolen - ever.

That said I find it odd that he had a FOR RENT sign in front of the house last year for about 10 months? He's upside down and knows it[[like many). Mortgage companies require documentation and reasoning for short sales, walkaways, etc. DOCUMENTED crime problems certainly help. As he said he was never a victim until now. I don't doubt that the theft occurred....but decide for your

Quote Originally Posted by 7051 View Post

That said I find it odd that he had a FOR RENT sign in front of the house last year for about 10 months? He's upside down and knows it[[like many). Mortgage companies require documentation and reasoning for short sales, walkaways, etc. DOCUMENTED crime problems certainly help. As he said he was never a victim until now. I don't doubt that the theft occurred....but decide for your
    If someone provides a DOCUMENTED reason for giving their property back to the bank so it can be a short sale, they are no longer on the hook for the difference? Really?! How's it any different than just walking away and dropping the house keys off with the bank teller?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast