Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default A crime story that could be told a million times

It's stupid crime like this that is really going to kill the city because it's going to continue to lose people like this guy who "give a damn." I understand the crooks are just looking to make a buck, but you wish they'd realize the repercussions of their actions [[not that they'd care, of course).

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/20992546/index.html

I thought Palmer Park had a security company with officers on patrol. If not, it would be a great idea.

How sad for this guy. Having to walk away from a home in an area that he cares about. Walking away from a down payment made and those monthly mortgage payments he has paid for his home. All of it lost.

So the thieves not only got the tires, but they got all of the above from this guy. Very sad.

The City of Detroit better fix this stuff or there won't be anyone left to send tax notices to.

Palmer Park or Palmer Woods? Kinda looked like the University District

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Palmer Park or Palmer Woods? Kinda looked like the University District
    That's Palmer Woods. My parents live over there.

Either way, what are the advantages of living here?

Wheel theft is common everywhere. I don't know why dude didn't park his car in his garage after the first time. Two sets of wheels doesn't equal a house. When you take the lug nut cover off, it should interupt a circuit and trip an alarm.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Wheel theft is common everywhere. I don't know why dude didn't park his car in his garage after the first time. Two sets of wheels doesn't equal a house. When you take the lug nut cover off, it should interupt a circuit and trip an alarm.

I wondered how long it would take to blame the victim

A relative of mine had his wheels stolen off his vehicle this summer. But that happened in Canton.Things are getting bad all over.With that said I agree with many of the post.I myself don't want to live in the city the way it is. From what I hear ,see, and read, I couldn't justify the cost.To walk away from good looking house like that. I would have to say that man was at that point where it was his last straw. Good luck to him in his search for a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    A relative of mine had his wheels stolen off his vehicle this summer. But that happened in Canton.Things are getting bad all over.With that said I agree with many of the post.I myself don't want to live in the city the way it is. From what I hear ,see, and read, I couldn't justify the cost.To walk away from good looking house like that. I would have to say that man was at that point where it was his last straw. Good luck to him in his search for a new home.
    On top of paying about $5,000 a year in taxes and surely his insurance increased. Most likely the house note was already a struggle. So, he gave up and I don't blame him.

Ok, I suppose I will be the voice of opposition. First off, I feel bad for the dude because no one wants to be the victim of crime. It is a sick feeling that lingers for days if not weeks. I respect his decision to leave the city. If leaving Detroit is the only recourse then leave. I like other Detroiters who feel as he do can understand when it is time to walk away.

That said, I find this idea of him going to the news to share his story was a cheap stunt to get sympathy. Because the news is willing to report ANYTHING, this would get coverage. Let's see; Detroiter bought home because he loves the city, Detroiter is a victim of theft, Detroiter is ready to leave the city and at a loss. Please, this is the story of thousands of city residents just like him. What is the message here? Detroit is so bad that residents like this fellow who love Detroit is forced to leave because the city is too bad. That story is played on the TV every single day.

As for the guy, who is it say he wasn't going to lose the house anyway. Not to sound cynical, but he decided to put his business out in the open so what if dude's home is in foreclosure and this sob story is an attempt to get the bank to "work" with him? Thanks to the story being given air time on Channel 4, the house was shown and now the bank will have a hard time trying to sell the house. J.M.O.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Ok, I suppose I will be the voice of opposition. First off, I feel bad for the dude because no one wants to be the victim of crime. It is a sick feeling that lingers for days if not weeks. I respect his decision to leave the city. If leaving Detroit is the only recourse then leave. I like other Detroiters who feel as he do can understand when it is time to walk away.

That said, I find this idea of him going to the news to share his story was a cheap stunt to get sympathy. Because the news is willing to report ANYTHING, this would get coverage. Let's see; Detroiter bought home because he loves the city, Detroiter is a victim of theft, Detroiter is ready to leave the city and at a loss. Please, this is the story of thousands of city residents just like him. What is the message here? Detroit is so bad that residents like this fellow who love Detroit is forced to leave because the city is too bad. That story is played on the TV every single day.

As for the guy, who is it say he wasn't going to lose the house anyway. Not to sound cynical, but he decided to put his business out in the open so what if dude's home is in foreclosure and this sob story is an attempt to get the bank to "work" with him? Thanks to the story being given air time on Channel 4, the house was shown and now the bank will have a hard time trying to sell the house. J.M.O.
    I wonder if he contacted the media or if someone else did.Is his house in disclosure? I don't recall seeing that in the video.

I suppose the message is exactly as you put it. Whether that is a story or not is a matter of opinion. In the LA times they are doing a running count of each and every murder in the city. That story happens every day on t.v. as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    I wonder if he contacted the media or if someone else did.Is his house in disclosure? I don't recall seeing that in the video.

I suppose the message is exactly as you put it. Whether that is a story or not is a matter of opinion. In the LA times they are doing a running count of each and every murder in the city. That story happens every day on t.v. as well.

You did read where I used the "what if" right?

If someone other than himself called the media then they aren't a friend of his. Some people like myself are private people. I don't think I would want to share how I was robbed on TV unless I may have a ulterior motive to capitalize on my recent misfortune.

That's an interesting theory. Yeah, the bank cannot be happy at ALL!
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    ...Thanks to the story being given air time on Channel 4, the house was shown and now the bank will have a hard time trying to sell the house. J.M.O.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    I wondered how long it would take to blame the victim
    Personally, I think the guy realizes he made a bad investment. Reality bites, he paid three times more then his house is actually worth now. He just wants out and is using this as an excuse. He didn't sound like an idiot to me during the interview. He knew he was moving into a high crime area or an area surrounded by high crime. What he didn't know was his property value was going to go down the tubes.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Personally, I think the guy realizes he made a bad investment. Reality bites, he paid three times more then his house is actually worth now. He just wants out and is using this as an excuse. He didn't sound like an idiot to me during the interview. He knew he was moving into a high crime area or an area surrounded by high crime. What he didn't know was his property value was going to go down the tubes.

After the blame the victim rationale; the conspiracy folks move in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ryan View Post
    Ive noticed on this site its quite common to blame the victim since obviously if you live in the city limits or nearby, you take your chances. How sad to have to live this way...I watch from the sidelines.. a safe? 75 miles away.. When will Bing call for martial law?...

Martial law is not the answer the answer is a new city government that can effectively deal with it. The people need to take charge the leadership needs to take charge. Lets face it Detroit is a bad bargain for living. Unreal taxes bordering on enslavement, does not encourage anyone to move in but encourages an exodus. No services to speak of. Why pay all that money for literally no reason. With out an effective police force good people do not have a chance to make a difference.

Take this guy he is upside down in his house, the neighborhood is crumbling, Soon it will be like the rest of Detroit boarded up houses, burned, and bombed out. It has happened to the rest of city so it is coming here. His last stand just had the final straw.

As far as I can see the city government is out of control, and is insane. When we were there the people were so nice, but had very little hope, and they expressed it!

Quote Originally Posted by GRALR View Post
    Martial law is not the answer the answer is a new city government that can effectively deal with it. The people need to take charge the leadership needs to take charge. Lets face it Detroit is a bad bargain for living. Unreal taxes bordering on enslavement, does not encourage anyone to move in but encourages an exodus. No services to speak of. Why pay all that money for literally no reason. With out an effective police force good people do not have a chance to make a difference.

Take this guy he is upside down in his house, the neighborhood is crumbling, Soon it will be like the rest of Detroit boarded up houses, burned, and bombed out. It has happened to the rest of city so it is coming here. His last stand just had the final straw.

As far as I can see the city government is out of control, and is insane. When we were there the people were so nice, but had very little hope, and they expressed it!
    Can't argue with anything contained in the above three paragraphs. All makes perect sense to me.

I think it was the straw that broke the camels back... it's getting dangerous now even in the better neighborhoods, which have become targets more as the 'people' that live there are considered to have something to steal, so the criminal mind reasons.... I am sure insurance rates there are thru the roof...... pardon the pun.

UFO Guest

No, it is not common everywhere. What a typical response to blame the victim.

Utter rubbish to say the least.

Response time in Detroit??
    Officer Slowski at your service.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Response time in Detroit??
    Officer Slowski at your service.
    Hey, now, easy with the Polish jokes.

crawford Guest

Nice job blaming the victim.

Clearly it's his fault! He should have hired armed marksman and bloodthirsty attack dogs to patrol his property. And where was the electic fencing and landmines?

Anything less and he's obviously just asking for it!

And no, wheel theft is not "common everywhere." I have never heard of such a thing in the neighborhood I grew up in Oakland County. People keep their doors unlocked, even today, and nobody worries about a car parked in their driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Nice job blaming the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post

Clearly it's his fault! He should have hired armed marksman and bloodthirsty attack dogs to patrol his property. And where was the electic fencing and landmines?

Anything less and he's obviously just asking for it!

And no, wheel theft is not "common everywhere." I have never heard of such a thing in the neighborhood I grew up in Oakland County. People keep their doors unlocked, even today, and nobody worries about a car parked in their driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    No, it is not common everywhere. What a typical response to blame the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

Utter rubbish to say the least.

Why don’t you both make a trip your local police station and ask for an YTD crime report on Vehicular Larcenies because you both are embarrassing yourselves senselessly by making unsupportive statements. I do blame the victim for allowing the same crime to be perpetrated against him twice. The first time he was ignorant to the situation, once you are aware of your vulnerabilities, it’s your responsibility to protect yourself and your property, failure to do so only results in being able to only blame yourself. It’s no longer “I should have known better” its now “I did know and I didn’t do anything about it”. A $25 set of locking lugnuts would have saved us all from the ignorance that pollutes this site.

crawford Guest

Why don’t you both make a trip your local police station and ask for an YTD crime report on Vehicular Larcenies because you both are embarrassing yourselves senselessly by making unsupportive statements.

I'm embrassing myself because I have this crazy idea that vehicular larcenies are lower in Bloomfield Township than in Detroit?? Gee thanks for "educating" me...

Why don't you call the Bloomfield Township PD and "educate" them. Tell them their stats are all wrong, and Long Lake Road is indistinguishable from Seven Mile. That should be good for a hearty laugh on their end. Hell, maybe recommend they quit their tough beat on the streets of Bloomfield and go for a sleepy, no-action gig at the DPD!

Their crime stats are linked below...

http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Service...nualReport.pdf

I do blame the victim for allowing the same crime to be perpetrated against him twice. The first time he was ignorant to the situation, once you are aware of your vulnerabilities, it’s your responsibility to protect yourself and your property, failure to do so only results in being able to only blame yourself. It’s no longer “I should have known better” its now “I did know and I didn’t do anything about it”. A $25 set of locking lugnuts would have saved us all from the ignorance that pollutes this site.
    Bla, bla, bla...

Everything is relative. There's violence in Mogadishu and violence in Copenhagen, so Mogadishu=Copenhagen, right? No difference whatsoever, right?

One shouldn't have to even lock one's car door if parked in the driveway of their residence. Period.

If you need to worry about any additional preventive measures beyond door locks, you by definition live in an unsafe area where the police cannot control things, and you should get the hell out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast