Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Opinions about Tiger's New Scoreboard

Just curious what everyone else is thinking about the new Tiger's scoreboard.

I will see it at the home-opener on Friday so I guess I should wait to see it in person, but am I the only one that has seen numerous pictures of it and weirdly keep focusing on the TWO MISSING PIECES more than the rest of the scoreboard??? LOL...LOL....

I don't know why it looks so out of proportion to me with the two outside bottom corners missing. I guess I will see it soon.

Thoughts?

This thread needs a photo. Is this what you're talking about?:

YES! LOL..... It just looks....odd. No?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    YES! LOL..... It just looks....odd. No?
    Yes. I find it hard to believe that it won't be corrected.

I'm sure they're very excited to show all the extra space they've created, and how many more ads they can display at one time.

I think it could work fine. Imagine the bottom part being static information, like how many runs in each inning, the score, how many errors, etc... Then the top part would be the video screen. I still don't understand what they accomplish with the notch-outs. Perhaps they're space for future advertisements? Who knows.

The left notch-out couldn't/can't be seen from the 3rd base side of the stadium seating.
    Last edited by GPCharles; April-03-24 at 10:41 AM.

Apparently they've "improved" the sound system also. I'm sure that just translates to louder. It started with basketball, moved to hockey and now baseball is constant noise to appease those with no attention span. I sit in the front of the upper deck. It's as far away from the speakers as I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    I think it could work fine. Imagine the bottom part being static information, like how many runs in each inning, the score, how many errors, etc... Then the top part would be the video screen. I still don't understand what they accomplish with the notch-outs. Perhaps they're space for future advertisements? Who knows.
    That's kind of how I imagine they are going to program it. Without anything displayed on it however it does look weird to me.

Overall, I just think they missed the mark completely with the design from the onset. The skyline view is great but the only redeeming item of the park. I personally find it to be a sterile shell [[and on another note, Ford field is the same sterile cavern). There is just no character, but that's something a few pennants or a couple World Series championships could help partially remedy. I'm sure a lot of people thought JLA was a mausoleum until the Wings got good in the 90's.

I think you're right. I will see Friday and snap a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post

I feel ya'! Last year a friend and I decided to sit in 124A, padded box seats with a table. NEVER AGAIN! Gimme Third base line upper deck! The music under that overhang [[nice though for blocking sun and rain) was SO LOUD, and like you said, nonstop. It really became super annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Apparently they've "improved" the sound system also. I'm sure that just translates to louder. It started with basketball, moved to hockey and now baseball is constant noise to appease those with no attention span. I sit in the front of the upper deck. It's as far away from the speakers as I can get.

I hate Comerica - Buy seats in the lower deck close to the field for a day game on a warm summer day and you will absolutely fry. Nothing but sun and no air circulation. Check out the concrete on the stairs to the upper deck - it's all cracking and coming up in chunks. Ever notice how many holes were drilled into the concrete and subsequently filled with caulk or silicone?

Our family prefers to go to Jimmy John's Field in Utica. It's closer, it's cheaper, and somehow more than 2% of the seats get shade on sunny days.

Having started this thread, I changed my mind. I like the scoreboard! I saw it at the home opener and it's fantastic!

[ATTACH]43097
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Having started this thread, I changed my mind. I like the scoreboard! I saw it at the home opener and it's fantastic!
    I'm glad it worked out! Sorry the weather couldn't have been better.

It's supposed to be the 2nd largest scoreboard in MLB, behind the NY Mets, FWIW.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-07-24 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I hate Comerica - Buy seats in the lower deck close to the field for a day game on a warm summer day and you will absolutely fry. Nothing but sun and no air circulation. Check out the concrete on the stairs to the upper deck - it's all cracking and coming up in chunks. Ever notice how many holes were drilled into the concrete and subsequently filled with caulk or silicone?
    Couldn't agree more. I never liked that park from the get-go. Anybody who thinks Comerica Park is a better place to watch a baseball game than Tiger Stadium was needs to get their head examined.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I never liked that park from the get-go. Anybody who thinks Comerica Park is a better place to watch a baseball game than Tiger Stadium was needs to get their head examined.
    You gotta remember that old Tiger Stadium [[nee Briggs, nee Navin) was rusting apart. Would have cost a fortune to make necessary repairs. Was easier to build the new ball park. Nothing is forever. Except me, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ... Nothing is forever. Except me, of course.
    LOL! I'm going to steal that one and put it on my tombstone.

Name:  tombstone.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  37.0 KB
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-06-24 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    You gotta remember that old Tiger Stadium [[nee Briggs, nee Navin) was rusting apart. Would have cost a fortune to make necessary repairs. Was easier to build the new ball park. Nothing is forever. Except me, of course.
    The outfield dimensions are ridicules. A ballpark built for small ball in a home run world. They've moved the fences in twice or maybe three time and it still sucks.

Got to wonder what Mr. I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The outfield dimensions are ridicules. A ballpark built for small ball in a home run world. They've moved the fences in twice or maybe three time and it still sucks.

Got to wonder what Mr. I was thinking.
    At the time, they were in the AL East. The thinking was since they couldn't compete with Boston & NY for free agents they would win with pitching and defense, similar to KC. Of course they never built a team that way and ended up moving to the Central anyway. Ilitch decided to spend big when he realized his window for winning and living was running out.

22. Default

I have a video...

[ATTACH]43097

This is a good angle showing the cut-outs. Other than the Comerica wordmark I don't see a single ad! Or do they cram in the ads between innings? They sure pack in a lot of info on that screen. When I go to a game I like to keep score so now I guess I'll have to know where to look to keep up!

Y'know, in a perfect world, all outfield stands would be exactly the same dimension, to the inch. But, then, in a perfect world, I would be the only one living so it wouldn't matter. [[Hey, just funnin', y'know!!!)

This is now the 3rd scoreboard since Comerica Park opened. There was another upgrade about 10 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast