Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
We have them for years,smaller store footprint,no bags,bring your own,25c for the cart,in neighborhoods medium income.

They do not work for me because they are kinda like the old European model where you shop daily because they sell smaller stuff,like 1 lb sugar,3 lb potato’s and they are not a one place shop unless you tailor your menu to them.

But I dislike shopping so I shop by the month verses by the week.

They are not cheaper than a regular supermarket if you look at the price verses package size,same price as the others but smaller packages. 8oz verses 12 oz.

Having said that they bought out the 546 store Winn Dixie supermarket chain,and Harvey’s which was a large part of their 800 store expansion in the South.

I have not been in the Winn Dixie sense the acquisition to see what has changed .

Hard to describe other than a fancy Dollar General,I did watch a program where they spend a lot of energy to make their house brands taste no different then the top shelf name brands.

I kinda think Detroit needs a full service supermarket verses these neighborhood style small footprint markets.

Wal-Mart tried mimicking them with their neighborhood market thing and have shut most of them down,there is still one by me that does not even carry dairy products so it’s not a one shop stop.

Do not know about the theft thing ,they are not really in those neighborhoods,like the Dollar Generals where they put a long metal pole on the cart so you cannot get it out of the door.

That was the answer to the food desert thing,put a dollar general on every corner,there is 5 of em within 1/2 mile from me.
The Walmart Neighborhood Markets are doing very well here in DFW [[which, BTW, is Walmart's largest & most profitable region).

I actually have 3 WM Supercenters within a 3 mile radius of my home on top of a WM Neighborhood Market, and I much prefer going to the WM Neighborhood Market if given the option. It's far less chaotic.

DFW is actually an interesting case, and I'm pretty sure is the most competitive grocery market in the country. On top of being a stronghold for Walmart, it's a major cross section for both Kroger + Alberstons, Aldi has a huge presence [[not to mention actively expanding), a number of ethnic grocery chains have multiple locations here [[H-Mart, Patel Brothers, 99 Ranch, Fiesta, etc.), WinCo has a solid presence here, it's one of 3 metro areas in the US [[the others being Denver & Minneapolis) with a ton of Target Supercenters and on top of that, H-E-B is now undergoing an aggressive expansion. That of course goes without mentioning Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Sprouts [[also aggressively expanding here) and a regional chain called Brookshires on the outskirts of the Metroplex.

It's night and day from Florida [[with Publix & Winn-Dixie dominating) and Detroit [[with Kroger & Meijer dominating).