Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default 2023 - 2024 Detroit Red Wings

Yeah, I know, I'm starting this thread over halfway into the season.

Make no doubt about it, the Red Wings are, right now, one of the hottest teams in the entire NHL. Great talent has translated to a lot of winning over the past couple months, with some of these wins accomplished in overtime thrillers, including tonight in Chicago as Patrick Kane returns to his old stomping grounds to score the game-winner on Chris Chelios' jersey retirement night.

I think they legitimately have a shot at returning to the playoffs for the first time in six seasons [[right now, they just recaptured the top wildcard spot in the Eastern Conference), assuming they keep this up over the next two months.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Yeah, I know, I'm starting this thread over halfway into the season.

Make no doubt about it, the Red Wings are, right now, one of the hottest teams in the entire NHL. Great talent has translated to a lot of winning over the past couple months, with some of these wins accomplished in overtime thrillers, including tonight in Chicago as Patrick Kane returns to his old stomping grounds to score the game-winner on Chris Chelios' jersey retirement night.

I think they legitimately have a shot at returning to the playoffs for the first time in six seasons [[right now, they just recaptured the top wildcard spot in the Eastern Conference), assuming they keep this up over the next two months.
    There are 2 major differences in my mind that set this team apart from a couple of the recent disappointments that flirted with the playoffs and fizzled out:

1. Depth scoring. All 4 lines and the defense are reliable on the offensive end of the ice. There is no reason not to keep the line rotation going late into games, even when behind. There are 12 players with 10+ goals which I believe is the most in the league.

2. No major losing streaks. What absolutely killed recent teams that flirted with playoff races was losing 4-6 games in a row. This team just won't do that. There is a good mix of veteran leadership that actually has playoff experience, and exciting youth.

I'm not saying "they are in" yet. But it would take a monumental collapse to not make it. Taking the next 3 at home before heading out on the last western swing of the season would give them a little breathing room.

Yesterday was one of those games rebuilding teams find a way to lose. Chicago is playing a big game at home with celebs there to see Chelios and Kane. They outplay a tired Wings team and give up a late fluky goal and another in OT. Been on the other side of that a lot the last few years with Detroit teams.

The Yzerplan finally taking shape in the form of playoff birth. Hopefully. This team definitely feels different though. I think most of the East is NOT gonna want to see the Wings in the 1st round. It's going to be very interesting to see what Yzerman does at the trade deadline. I really don't see them swinging a deal for a rental forward [[I'd like to see them get Sprong more minutes, the guy is a sniper) and signing a goalie is going to be very expensive and possibly not even necessary. If there was a deal to be had to bolster the D corps 2nd or 3rd pairing without giving up major capital, I could see that. But I'd also like to see Edvinsson get in a few games. He is tearing it up in GR and deserves a call up. Also on that nore, Berggren is killing it down there but it seems like Yzerman doesn't see him fitting in with the big club. Maybe they swing a deal to move him out in return for draft capital and a player? Going to be interesting.

One definitive: thank god the Wings are on this heater and making the next few months interesting. Because otherwise, I don't know if the Tigers are going to do anything worth while and the Pistons are hot garbage. Might be a LONG summer until the Lions are back in action.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    The Yzerplan finally taking shape in the form of playoff birth. Hopefully. This team definitely feels different though. I think most of the East is NOT gonna want to see the Wings in the 1st round. It's going to be very interesting to see what Yzerman does at the trade deadline. I really don't see them swinging a deal for a rental forward [[I'd like to see them get Sprong more minutes, the guy is a sniper) and signing a goalie is going to be very expensive and possibly not even necessary. If there was a deal to be had to bolster the D corps 2nd or 3rd pairing without giving up major capital, I could see that. But I'd also like to see Edvinsson get in a few games. He is tearing it up in GR and deserves a call up. Also on that nore, Berggren is killing it down there but it seems like Yzerman doesn't see him fitting in with the big club. Maybe they swing a deal to move him out in return for draft capital and a player? Going to be interesting.

One definitive: thank god the Wings are on this heater and making the next few months interesting. Because otherwise, I don't know if the Tigers are going to do anything worth while and the Pistons are hot garbage. Might be a LONG summer until the Lions are back in action.
    For anyone who follows college hockey, UM is pretty good this year and MSU is the best they've been in decades [[possible one seed in NCAAs). Fun times for hockey fans in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    For anyone who follows college hockey, UM is pretty good this year and MSU is the best they've been in decades [[possible one seed in NCAAs). Fun times for hockey fans in this state.
    Huge college hockey fan here. Those that enjoy following the Red Wings prospects can follow MSU's Red Savage [[2021 4th round) and Trey Augustine [[2023 2nd round).

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Huge college hockey fan here. Those that enjoy following the Red Wings prospects can follow MSU's Red Savage [[2021 4th round) and Trey Augustine [[2023 2nd round).
    Yep! MSU alum here. Been really fun to follow those guys. Hope we can win the Big Ten this weekend in Madison!

Three back-to-back overtime wins to conclude the season...and I say conclude since we still managed to miss the playoffs thanks to the Philadelphia Flyers deciding to pull their goalie in their last game.

They just don't have enough quality players. Other than Larkin, there are no other top line centers on the team. A couple of middle of the road types; Compher, Rasmussen. Goaltending isn't good enough either, it needs to be upgraded.

If they would have got in, you never know what could happen, but I couldn't really see them winning a series. That being said, they were in the mix all season, and that counts for a hell of a lot in my book. They played some really exciting games.

In Stevie we trust - but there are limits to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They just don't have enough quality players. Other than Larkin, there are no other top line centers on the team. A couple of middle of the road types; Compher, Rasmussen. Goaltending isn't good enough either, it needs to be upgraded.

If they would have got in, you never know what could happen, but I couldn't really see them winning a series. That being said, they were in the mix all season, and that counts for a hell of a lot in my book. They played some really exciting games.

In Stevie we trust - but there are limits to everything.
    The last couple of weeks have been playoff hockey intensity for the Wings. Hard to believe they would have had anything left in the tank in the playoffs.
    I'm baffled how the NHL playoffs work. A team as good as the Leafs has to face Boston in the 1st round again? Don't get me wrong I love seeing the Leafs lose but it hardly seems fair.

My expectations at the start of the year aligned with where they ended up. However, when they went on a tear and had one of the best records in the NHL from Jan 1st thru March 1st and were in a comfortable playoff position, my expectations changed. I would call this nothing less than a collapse and I'm going to put it firmly on Derek Lalonde. The lack of effort, the horrible starts, constantly playing from behind to me is a direct result of coaching. Hell, the last 2 games needed to be come from behind miracles against a garbage team and a blown 4-1 lead against the Leafs. That to me is not indicative of a team fighting for their playoff life except for 10 minute flashes.

How to fix it? I firmly believe something happened where Lalonde lost the room in March. Larkin went down, and that hurts, but no excuse to lose 7 in a row to trash teams like Buffalo and Arizona [[TWICE). There was such a lack of effort in those games it was mind blowing. So to me, Lalonde goes or at the least whomever was running the D. If he doesn't go and the Wings get off to a bad start next season, he's gone after 10 games.

The Defense needs an upgrade, with Edvinsson being a full timer. Beyond him, Seider, Ghost, Walman, wave bye to the rest.

Goaltending with Lyon & Reimer was serviceable but not where it needs to be. I'd like to see Stevie go out and get a guy who's gonna post a sub 2.50gaa and .910svp. Lyon can be a decent backup, Husso's health is a huge question mark.

Forwards, resign Kane to a 2 year and get Raymond locked up long term. As much as I like Larkin and he drives the bus, we need a stud #1 center and another guy who can throw in 30+ goals. Get some of the young GR guys up and in the mix.

Bottom line: barring any massive injuries, it is playoffs or bust next year.