Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Maggots fall on woman during Delta flight to Detroit: 'She was freaking out'

Not exactly snakes on a plane but ...

Maggots fall on woman during Delta flight to Detroit: 'She was freaking out'

A passenger on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit said maggots fell on a woman next to him from an overhead bin, causing the plane to turn around an hour after departing.

"She was freaking out," said Philip Schotte, a Netherlands native who lives in Iowa. "She was just trying to kind of fight off these maggots."...

"Their trip was interrupted due to an improperly packed carry-on bag," according to Delta. "The aircraft returned to the gate and passengers were placed on the next available flight. The aircraft was removed from service for cleaning."
    Watch the video at the link to get a better sense of what happened.

Somehow I found it odd that the story included a file photo of maggots or that such a photo is even kept on file.

I saw that on the news and couldn't figure out why they didn't use the actually pics the seat mate took. All of the pics looked like file footage and there were no answers.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I saw that on the news and couldn't figure out why they didn't use the actually pics the seat mate took. All of the pics looked like file footage and there were no answers.

I read the story on one of the news feeds a few days ago. My guess is the real incident wasn't as sensational as the write up.

In reading the first hand accounts.......it was 'about' a dozen maggots that fell on the woman.

I must admit, I don't gross out easy........I would be more than a little unhappy about that myself though.

From one of the stories on this we glean that the crew traced the problem to a rotting fish poorly wrapped inside a suitcase, in the overhead compartment.

Please someone tell me who thinks to take a fish with with them on a passenger flight, in the overhead compartment, w/o realizing the result of this choice?

We also learn that passengers on the flight, which returned to Amsterdam, were comped a hotel room, given a $30 meal voucher and 8,000 Air Miles as compensation.

The suitcase was a put in a bag and incinerated.

Finally, this is video from the plane:

This line was hilarious, "I see a maggot... looking back at me!"

Can't wait until the late night show comedians run with this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Please someone tell me who thinks to take a fish with with them on a passenger flight, in the overhead compartment, w/o realizing the result of this choice?
    Ever watch those Border Security shows? It's disgusting what people bring back with them. Always bugs me that after these people lie to the agents they still usually let them off with a warning. Canada and the U.S. spend a fortune on Customs. Why not fine them 500 bucks?

Maggots on the Plane.... That will make a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Ever watch those Border Security shows? It's disgusting what people bring back with them.
    I can't say I've watched much of these, but sure, I've had those up in the morning at 3am moments..........where you just want something to distract you....... LOL

I've probably only seen bits and pieces of 3-4 episodes, but that's certainly enough to confirm there are really dumb people in the world.

Though I don't think that was in doubt.

Always bugs me that after these people lie to the agents they still usually let them off with a warning. Canada and the U.S. spend a fortune on Customs. Why not fine them 500 bucks?
    I have no problem w/leniency for things I can imagine an honest mistake about. [[I remember on my first visit to the Netherlands, considering whether I could bring home exotic tulip bulbs, but I confirmed I could not, so I did not).

But I can see someone wondering what the harm is........

Fresh Fish, not refrigerated for hours on end..........yeah....fine them alot.......

That kind of stupid is just..........

Ever watch those Border Security shows? It's disgusting what people bring back with them. Always bugs me that after these people lie to the agents they still usually let them off with a warning. Canada and the U.S. spend a fortune on Customs. Why not fine them 500 bucks?

I must admit I also get a kick watching those Karen blowouts on planes and in airports on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This line was hilarious, "I see a maggot... looking back at me!"...
    What's even creepier is that they have eyes that can look back at me — eyes that can't even be seen! ARGH! LOL!
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-17-24 at 10:54 PM.

Back in the days of youth, when I hung out in Mexico coastal villages during winters, crossing the border coming north meant getting searched for weed and other drugs.

One story I heard was that some long-hair hippie types, tired of the harassment, loaded a compartment of their backpack with cockroaches that fled all over the place when border security opened it and they hastily were sent on their way without further search.

Going south Mexican border security were only looking for guns. Mexican cops were notorious for selling weed to gringos then busting them and extracting bribes. In an ironic twist, some gringos I met in Mexico consequently brought their weed with them.