Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default No Ride Share Pick Ups Allowed at Detroit Metro Airport [DTW]?

I went to pick up a friend from the Evans Terminal at Detroit Metro Airport [[DTW) and I saw a sign that said Ride-Share parking was not allowed. So, Uber and Lyft are not allowed to pick up passengers at DTW? Is it the same at the McNamara Terminal? While travelling to San Francisco, New Orleans, Boston, and NYC last year, I saw nothing but areas where Ride Share vehicles could pick you up. So, why not at DTW? What's the reasoning behind that? What am I missing?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. There's a ride share area on the bottom floor of the Delta Terminal, I've used it. You can pick up Uber there and there was also some guys there who seemed to be driving gypsy type cabs.

^Well, I did say that I was at the Evans Terminal to pick up my friend and I did ask about McNamara. So, you've answered my question. Thanks.

I assume it means they just can't park there but you can certainly be picked up by them.

The RideShare area is on the same lower level where you can catch the SMART Buses, Terminal-to-Terminal buses, Car rental shuttles, and Metrocars. You can't get a rideshare in the 'Arrivals' level.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm not sure what you're referring to. There's a ride share area on the bottom floor of the Delta Terminal, I've used it. You can pick up Uber there and there was also some guys there who seemed to be driving gypsy type cabs.

Since the word GYPSY is a slur, what do you call a gypsy cab?

The reason I ask is because I recently used that same term and was gently admonished for using it.

Is there another term for a guy who rides around picking up strangers for money?

I must say that don’t understand the outrage, but I’m oldish and not understanding the new world is normalish.

I know the proper term or this ethnic group is Romany but calling for a Romany Cab is also a slur because it implies that the Romany are a lawless gang of cheats and scammers.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

The reason I ask is because I recently used that same term and was gently admonished for using it.

Is there another term for a guy who rides around picking up strangers for money?

I must say that don’t understand the outrage, but I’m oldish and not understanding the new world is normalish.

I know the proper term or this ethnic group is Romany but calling for a Romany Cab is also a slur because it implies that the Romany are a lawless gang of cheats and scammers.
    About 10 years ago, I was in a gypsy cab in N.Y. and the driver referred to himself as a gypsy cab driver.

I really didn't think twice about it when I wrote that reply.

People are really sensitive these days.

^ Gnome... telling young kids that the Romany kidnap children doesn't quite put the fear of God into kids like tell them the Gypsies do.

I guess that someone needs to tell the Budapest Gypsy Symphony Orchestra that they are politically incorrect!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdlJ4OP9R5M

In predominately black neighborhoods in Detroit, a person who picks you up from the grocery store in their own vehicle for a small fee or gratuity is called a "Jitney." I don't know if that person is called something different in other ethnic neighborhoods or called the same thing.

Gypsie is one of those terms that if one is Roma one gets to use it, the same as use of the N-word, if Afro-American, or queer, if homosexual. The latter word now seems close to coming full circle from slur to respectability as in LGBTQ.

In the cultural oblivion of my small town upbringing the misspelled term 'being jipped' was a common term for being cheated. No one knew about Roma/Gypsies, let alone that the word was derived from the latter. The term Gypsie was itself a product of ignorance based on the misconception that Roma originated from Egypt, not South Asia as they did. "Stupid is as stupid does"-- Forrest Gump

Lowell, I believe the Q in LBGTQ stands for “questioning” not “queer”.

at least that is what was screamed at me while trying to park in Ann Arbor.

I realize that last sentence made no sense, but it was Ann Arbor, so there is a lot there that is difficult to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    In predominately black neighborhoods in Detroit, a person who picks you up from the grocery store in their own vehicle for a small fee or gratuity is called a "Jitney." I don't know if that person is called something different in other ethnic neighborhoods or called the same thing.
    You sure there is not a group of “Jits” that will get offended?

Not directed at gnome specifically, but it occurred to me that it's fundamentally hypocritical to claim to be offended by people who themselves are genuinely offended.

Especially when the latter are the afflicted and the the former are the comfortable.

• A voice for the underdog and underprivileged
      Th newspaper does ivrything f’r us. It runs th’ polis foorce an’ th’' banks, commands th’ milishy, controls th’ ligislachure, baptizes th’ young, marries th’ foolish, comforts th’ afflicted, afflicts th’ comfortable, buries th’ dead an’ roasts thim aftherward.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-19-24 at 10:21 PM.

Yep. Called Gitney or Jitney. Not sure of the spelling. It was popular in the 70's - 80's at local grocery stores and helpful! Lower priced than a cab. Mostly retired older men or those not working day jobs.

An early form of Uber and Lyft in that there was no 'meter' but they were at the store. Not coming to your home to pick you up.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-24 at 01:29 AM.

Right! That's been our experience. Sometimes needing a ride from the airport, even alone midnight arrival, I've walked from the far end gate [the worse scenerio] to this pick up area. It is a small segmented area within that parking lot. There's a small bench to sit.

Uber or Lyft arrive as you call them. They all know this as the PU spot. You see the rideshare buses coming and going too.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The RideShare area is on the same lower level where you can catch the SMART Buses, Terminal-to-Terminal buses, Car rental shuttles, and Metrocars. You can't get a rideshare in the 'Arrivals' level.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-24 at 02:58 AM.

Q used here could do double-duty: Queer or Questioning.

New designations and additions are on-boarding fast.

Lowell, I believe the Q in LBGTQ stands for “questioning” not “queer”.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-24 at 02:55 AM.

Person driving non-tracked, or 'off-the-books' [non-metered or smart phoned tracked] would be safer I suppose.

Perhaps......

Lest it be a robot or self-driving vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    About 10 years ago, I was in a gypsy cab in N.Y. and the driver referred to himself as a gypsy cab driver.

I really didn't think twice about it when I wrote that reply.

People are really sensitive these days.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-24 at 02:53 AM.

In addition to the massive rideshare pickup area in the McNamara ramp, pretty sure there's also a rideshare pickup area in the bottom level of the Big Blue Deck next to the Evans terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Q used here could do double-duty: Queer or Questioning.

New designations and additions are on-boarding fast.
    Or you could be standing in the Que in Europe waiting to board the line.

QLine.