Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Wayne Kramer, co-founder of rock band MC5, dies aged 75

Guitarist helped to give Detroit band their powerful, politically charged sound and continued their legacy into the 21st century

Wayne Kramer, the guitarist who co-created MC5 – one of the rawest, most influential and politically engaged bands in US history – has died aged 75. His Instagram page announced the news: “Wayne S Kramer. Peace be with you. April 30 1948 – February 2 2024.”

Born and raised in Detroit, Kramer teamed with teenage friend and fellow guitarist Fred “Sonic” Smith, each of them influenced as much by free jazz as they were by R&B and rock’n’roll. Along with the frontman Rob Tyner, they made MC5 into an incendiary force in their city’s music scene, alongside peers such as the Stooges.

MC5 {short for Motor City 5} quickly built a formidable live reputation playing on bills with the likes of Cream, and were signed to Elektra in 1968. Their debut album, Kick Out the Jams, was released the following year: a live recording from Detroit’s Grande Ballroom where the band had made their name....
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-03-24 at 08:57 AM.

Awe, 75 too young.

My brother had the back-up band when in the D.

cliff

p.s
    Maybe sonic can chime in?
    Fred/Patti?
    Wow, never mind.
    Last edited by EASTSIDER BALDUCK; February-03-24 at 10:19 AM. Reason: fred dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ...Detroit’s Grande Ballroom where the band had made their name....
    They were the loudest band IME. I attended a concert at the Grande circa 1967-68 where the sound was unbearably loud. I stayed in the ballroom for only a couple of seconds and spent the remainder of the night outside in the cool night air while my companions toughed it out in the concert hall.

Sometime later the MC5 gave a free daytime concert on the porch of the Community Arts Auditorium at WSU. The dB level was tolerable in the open air.

Hearing loss and tinnitus in rock musicians: A Norwegian survey - PMC [[nih.gov)
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; February-03-24 at 10:49 AM.

Someone once told me I had a rare yet-to-be-censored MC5 album. I think it involved the MF word. I know very little about it but I still have that album somewhere.

And yes, I still have very long hair. LOL!

Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

I remember 1968 dance at St Lads in Hamtramck guys tried to sneak in the X Rated version of "Kick out the jams" into the mix, the Nuns weren't having any of that.

The Motor City is burning, babe
    Yes
    Let it all burn, let it all burn, let it all burn

...the Nuns weren't having any of that.
    Those nuns could ruin a wet dream. I remember a 1962 dance at St Lads when 'Moon River' was the slow dance, and the nuns were policing how close the students could hold one another.

My thinking was I paid the price of admission and I'll have a chubby if I want.

http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-27-2014/lEV0t4.gif
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; February-03-24 at 12:12 PM.

Heh. That was from The Blues Brothers.

[QUOTE=Henry Whalley;640033]Those nuns could ruin a wet dream. I remember a 1962 dance at St Lads when 'Moon River' was the slow dance, and the nuns were policing how close the students could hold one another.

Don't hijack the thread with Nun stories!

Don't hijack the thread with Nun stories!

We'll have Nun of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Heh. That was from The Blues Brothers.
    Just my way of bringing religion into it. As part of our religion, at least once yearly my family gathers to watch three movies: Blues Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, and The Big Lebowski. Thank God for the First Amendment. In some countries people can't worship like us.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/88247ef6...b6ro1_500.gifv

[QUOTE=slick;640041]
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    ...Don't hijack the thread with Nun stories!
    Get thee to a nunnery

Just my way of bringing religion into it. As part of our religion, at least once yearly my family gathers to watch three movies: Blues Brothers, Dumb and Dumber, and The Big Lebowski. Thank God for the First Amendment. In some countries people can't worship like us.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/88247ef6...b6ro1_500.gifv

Speaking of movies and dead rockers… There’s a movie on Netflisk that deals with a Hard Rock drummer’s loss of hearing and the life choices that follow. [[Sound of Metal)

I haven’t watched it yet, not sure I will, I’ve seen so many recently that I had to pull the plug on. I have an inkling that this one would fit the bill.

If you’re wondering about Netflisk, it’s my dysleskia…

Did they shove a bible between you?
    Those nuns could ruin a wet dream. I remember a 1962 dance at St Lads when 'Moon River' was the slow dance, and the nuns were policing how close the students could hold one another.

My thinking was I paid the price of admission and I'll have a chubby if I want.

http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-27-2014/lEV0t4.gif

“The MC5 started at Helen and Gregory avenues in Lincoln Park, Michigan. Tyner lived 4 blocks away, Dennis lived 10 blocks, Fred lived 10 blocks in another direction. My Mom’s house was the center for all of us and she kindly let us practice in the basement.”
    1966-MC5 move to the Warren Forest neighborhood in Detroit’s Cass Corridor near Wayne State University at apartment [[659 W. Canfield).
    1967-MC5 move to Detroit Artists Workshop building and live upstairs [[1252 W. Forest) at The Lodge and Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did they shove a bible between you?
    Yeah, we couldn't slow dance closer than the KJV. That's how Mary became Yahweh's baby mama.

But seriously, back in those days my willy could read braille.

But seriously, back in those days my willy could read braille.
    This might have gone a tad off topic…

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    This might have gone a tad off topic…
    Sorry, back in those days my junk looked like Rob Tyner. God rest his soul. Also, the MC5 were fun at parties, were irreverent, and possessed humor IIRC.

1770d945575fecc7ada160705793ec30.jpg [[1195×1770) [[pinimg.com)
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; February-06-24 at 10:34 AM.

Video about Wayne's volunteer work with music in prisons.

https://youtu.be/WNbkHT6TEuc?si=r0T20UPJppcvF6h1