Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Old DPD photos from an old DetroitYes guy.

Just some old stuff from my photobin. The Mexican guy says "Badges? Badges? We doan' got no badges. We doan' need no steenkin' badges!" [[Apologies to Humphrey Bogart and "Treasures of the Sierra Madre", an A1 super flick.)
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Is that you Ray in the squad car? Cool pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Is that you Ray in the squad car? Cool pic.
    Thanks! Yeah, that be me, back about 1976 or so. They were good days. The post-riot years [[1967) marked a comeback for Detroit, and today it seems to have really taken off. I was back for a visit last August and while a drive downtown using Grand River was a bit depressing, the old town looked fairly good IMHO.

I just have to observe -- no putdowns intended -- that Detroit Metro Airport looked deserted compared to Reid International in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, that be me, back about 1976 or so. They were good days. The post-riot years [[1967) marked a comeback for Detroit, and today it seems to have really taken off. I was back for a visit last August and while a drive downtown using Grand River was a bit depressing, the old town looked fairly good IMHO.

I just have to observe -- no putdowns intended -- that Detroit Metro Airport looked deserted compared to Reid International in Vegas.

Surprisingly Ray, DTW was voted the number 1 airport in efficiency, operations, and customer service

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/15/best...023-study.html

What are your memories about this issue, Stop STRESS Flyer, spring 1972

Name:  de169a594316e96a75b4240bbeefd499bf23a99c.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  210.4 KB

That's because we're the Motor City... not Sin City...

[QUOTE=CassTechGrad;639978]What are your memories about this issue, Stop STRESS Flyer,QUOTE]

Never worked with STRESS. Didn't know much about it. I was busy with speeders and red lights.

What is the significance of the picture of Wallace Beery? playing Pancho Villa?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    What is the significance of the picture of Wallace Beery? playing Pancho Villa?
    Nothing, really, just that I always felt the line "we doan' need no steenkin' badges" was one of Hollywood's greatest lines. But then, I'm warped.

Very cool pictures Ray, where were these pictures inside the station taken out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Very cool pictures Ray, where were these pictures inside the station taken out of curiosity?
    My detective nose wants to say these were taken in Ray’s spiffy garage/batmancave…

Nothing, really, just that I always felt the line "we doan' need no steenkin' badges" was one of Hollywood's greatest lines. But then, I'm warped.
    I think that was what some of those bad apples in STRESS said.

I surprised you don't have more to say about SRESS. They were a huge story and their controversy was likely decisive in Coleman Young being elected mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    My detective nose wants to say these were taken in Ray’s spiffy garage/batmancave…
    Yup. My garage here in Henderson, Nevada. [[Henderson??? Where the heck is Henderson??? Look it up.)

I surprised you don't have more to say about SRESS. They were a huge story and their controversy was likely decisive in Coleman Young being elected mayor.

Never worked on STRESS [[Stop The Robberies, Enjoy Safe Streets). My biggest worry while in the DPD was speeders and red light runners. Oh, I'd chase a purse snatcher if I saw one from time to time, but that was a sidelight. LOL!

...Henderson??? Where the heck is Henderson???...
    About 50 miles east of Elephant Fart, also known as Pahrump, Nevada.

...My biggest worry while in the DPD was speeders and red light runners. Oh, I'd chase a purse snatcher if I saw one from time to time, but that was a sidelight. LOL!
    Thanks for being a decent public servant.

I did the Trifecta once in Precinct 13: Speeding, running a light, and DUI.

There is a seasonal in Ft Myers who bought a 66 Corvette on graduation day from the academy and occasionally brings it to shows. It has a flaking DPOA sticker in the large coupe rear window, he laughed telling me he never got a single ticket in that car! FWIW STRESS was a necessary force at that time.

Thank you, Ray, for sharing these pictures!! You were quite the handsome fella ...

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Thank you, Ray, for sharing these pictures!! You were quite the handsome fella ...
    Quite welcome, beachboy! My wife and my cat both think I'm still on the good looking side, but there's a little bias there, y'know.