Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default New Perfecting Church Area

I heard from a pretty good source that the federal government is buying up property around those streets north of 7 Mile east of Woodward to install solar panel fields. Near that healing shack place where the hippies hang out. This guy signed an agreement to sell his semi FU'ed 2 family frame dwelling for 97K to some federal government agency. First I've heard about this, anybody know anything about it?

Also, I drove past the new church, and it looks like there is absolutely nothing happening on that site.

It’s the city doing it

The finalist neighborhoods includeGratiot/Findlay, Greenfield Park/I-75 McNichols, Grixdale, Houston Whittier/Hayes, I-96/Plymouth [[O’Shea), Mount Olivet, State Fair, Trinity Pickford and Van Dyke/Lynch.

Duggan emphasized that the city would place solar arrays only in areas “where we are wanted,” noting that the city would buy out residents in owner-occupied homes with a minimum offer of $90,000 and would pay moving costs and 18 months’ rent for tenants.

https://planetdetroit.org/2023/11/du...ed-solar-farm/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It’s the city doing it

The finalist neighborhoods includeGratiot/Findlay, Greenfield Park/I-75 McNichols, Grixdale, Houston Whittier/Hayes, I-96/Plymouth [[O’Shea), Mount Olivet, State Fair, Trinity Pickford and Van Dyke/Lynch.

Duggan emphasized that the city would place solar arrays only in areas “where we are wanted,” noting that the city would buy out residents in owner-occupied homes with a minimum offer of $90,000 and would pay moving costs and 18 months’ rent for tenants.

Thank you for that information, I wasn't aware of that program.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It’s the city doing it

Not that my opinion should hold weight because I don't live in any of those areas, but I would think the Van Dyke/Lynch area is the smartest place to put it. Tucked away by the airport and between the runways and a cemetery and doesn't appear to disrupt any main roads. Already largely vacant and I know the City has been eyeing this area as an industrial site for a while.

I'm just gonna say it, putting solar farms in a city is idiotic... About the worst land use you can think of, maybe even worse than self storage facilities. If government is able to acquire large contiguous parcels of land there are far better ways to make use of them so that they generate tax revenue, jobs, population growth, and further ancillary development.