Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Can Anybody Identify This Building? West Side.

I've been trying to located this location for a while. The building in the background is my only clue. I believe it's on the West Side, near Grand River, and quite possibly near 14th. I've thoroughly looked at WILBUR WRIGHT H.S. which has been suggested to me several times. I cannot make that school fit as this building in the image. If it helps at all, I am pretty sure that some of the streets around this location were BRICK well into the 1950s. Name:  this is your police.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  50.9 KB

You were close. It's at Lawton and Warren. The old DFD training facility. I was there about 15+ years ago.

Here
    Last edited by casscorridor65; January-24-24 at 08:19 AM.

Cool building,still had the original 6 over 6 windows in it that would have been ripped out years before anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I've been trying to located this location for a while. Name:  this is your police.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  50.9 KB
    Car is a 1949 Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    You were close. It's at Lawton and Warren. The old DFD training facility. I was there about 15+ years ago.

Here
    I REALLY appreciate your reply. Thank you. I was very excited to look into this location. I am very familiar with the building because I have seen a training video from the mid-60s of firefighters doing work inside that building. And I have an image of an officer standing guard just outside that building in July '67. I tried really hard to make that building work, but I cannot make it match up. Yes, I tried the other sides too. Do you know if there might have been major changes to that building between the early 50's and today? OR do you have any other suggestions? There is no wrong answer. If you give me some leads, I'll merrily go research them even if they take me nowhere. Thanks again. Name:  This is your police dept background DFD.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  39.9 KB

Definitely not DFD Academy. Wilbur Wright was a good guess but I agree, it doesn't match. Feels like westside and more like a tool shop or light industrial than public institution.

Car is a 1949 Ford.
    Brings good memories of 1964 when my sister owned a black one with three-speed manual transmission.

That's not a ZIP code on the door, is it? The photo seems too old for a ZIP
    code.

It's the Vehicle ID. 49392 . It was brought into service in '49, and I'm assuming it was the 392nd car of that year. Or maybe the 3 is some other administrative number, and it was the 92nd

Thanks much! I don't know if you are familiar with the video where this is from, but it's out of a Jam Handy film THIS IS YOUR POLICE DEPARTMENT [[1951). It's on YouTube and all over other locations. I've been having fun tracking down all of the shooting locations, and I'm close to having it all figured out. This attached image should be located at the same place where the officer is standing in my original. But it's not 100% guaranteed they didn't cut away. I don't think there's much in this image to help identify the spot, but in case it helps you, here it is.Name:  This is your police dept OFFICE.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  104.3 KB

There are many copies of this image on C-SPAN. Here's the video: This is Your Police Department. I think we've seen this video here before. The image is from 13:50 in the video.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-24-24 at 01:09 PM.

It's the Vehicle ID. 49392 . It was brought into service in '49, and I'm assuming it was the 392nd car of that year. Or maybe the 3 is some other administrative number, and it was the 92nd
    Waiting on Ray1936 to weigh in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Car is a 1949 Ford.
    I can imagine back in the day,be on the lookout for a black Ford that just robbed a liquor store.

In the 80s my father had a lime green one,it must have been tough riding in them one a full shift let alone getting involved in a chase in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Waiting on Ray1936 to weigh in on this.
    Can't add much to it. '49 Ford is correct. Little before my time. But not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Can't add much to it. '49 Ford is correct. Little before my time. But not much.
    I was thinking you came in shortly after these were phased out,notice how it says Belle Isle police patrol?

https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/201...agons.html?m=1

Found on http://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/

Last edited by Richard; January-25-24 at 02:59 PM.

I remember the "tour guide" [[firefighter) that we had told us the tall part of the structure was and old apartment building and the lower half were classrooms that were later added on. And forgive me, it was more than 15 years ago now that I think of it. It was probably closer to 20+ years ago, around 2000 maybe. I was teaching at Hutchins Middle School, roughly 12th and Clairmont, ground ZERO for the 67' riots. [[The national guard slept in Hutchins, swam in our pools, showered in our lockerooms, they took over my classroom, the whole building.) Sorry, getting old. Time slips away. Loosing track of time.

I REALLY appreciate your reply. Thank you. I was very excited to look into this location. I am very familiar with the building because I have seen a training video from the mid-60s of firefighters doing work inside that building. And I have an image of an officer standing guard just outside that building in July '67. I tried really hard to make that building work, but I cannot make it match up. Yes, I tried the other sides too. Do you know if there might have been major changes to that building between the early 50's and today? OR do you have any other suggestions? There is no wrong answer. If you give me some leads, I'll merrily go research them even if they take me nowhere. Thanks again. Name:  This is your police dept background DFD.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  39.9 KB

Wow. I've been unofficially studying the '67 uprisings/riots, and I never knew that about Hutchins. I knew about Southeastern, but not much else about that subject. Thanks for your help, and for your information.