Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Emagine's Detroit movie theater with Big Sean on back burner

The long-stalled Emagine Entertainment Inc. movie theater in Detroit is on the back burner given rising costs of construction for the company. Originally proposed to have 10-12 screens at a cost of about $25 million, the Troy-based chain is also looking to scale back the size of the project to make it economically viable given what is now a $35 million-plus price tag, CEO Anthony LaVerde said. But it's not time to roll the end credits just yet. LaVerde stopped short of saying the project is dead, although efforts to lower its cost are being explored, including reducing the total number of seats. A site has not been secured, although Emagine, founded by Chairman Paul Glantz, has looked in the New Center area and Midtown, including a Wayne State University-owned site that ultimately didn’t pan out.

LaVerde said the challenges facing the Detroit plans are unique to that project. Business has been solid, he said, and Emagine has opened three theaters in other states in less than a year.

The Emagine plan is one of the prominent Detroit construction projects that has yet to come to fruition.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-big-sean-hold

I forgot all about this project. What ever happened to the Magic Johnson theater project at the State Fairgrounds near 8/Woodward?

These folks are starting to make the Ilitch development time lines look good!!

I have fond memories of the Studio New Center Theatre around the corner from Howard Johnsons which was on West Grand Blvd.

All I can say is THANK GOD it's NOT going on WSU property, Lot 22 by the Law School. This theatre is going to be hell, chaos, fights, with hundreds of teens creating mischief. It will need fulltime police officers and be in the news weekly, mark my words. Just ask Royal Oak. It will be the same crowd that take over the streets in the summer downtown, which is why I NEVER go downtown on Friday or Saturday nights. There's a reason why no theatres have lasted in Detroit for the past 15 years. Why does everyone think this time is different? God knows youthful behavior has not improved!

^ Yep. Indeed some teen behavior has devolved. Thankfully, we don't have the teen-mobbing/ store bust-outs crime levels of most red cities. The behaviors stem from poor or no parenting and a general breakdown of civility, nationwide. On the other hand perhaps there'd be no problem as hollywood movies are bombing! Look at the 'Marvel' movie fiasco!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-17-24 at 09:41 AM.

For some reason thought the WSU site was locked down. Can't believe it has been almost 6 years and they don't even have a location yet.

Funny I just posted on the other thread last week the guy owes it to at least explain if it's dead or delayed and why. At least we got that. Nothing on the front burners though either I assume?
    Last edited by 401don; January-17-24 at 03:23 PM.

Sure wish Alamo Drafthouse had gotten their theater built.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Can't believe it has been almost 6 years and they don't even have a location yet.
    Possibly, it's a congressional project. Six years with zero results is the new normal.

I'm just kind of shocked that the business case for a Target or Emagine is apparently worse now than it was in 2018-2021, when both were proposed.

I get that costs and interest rates have climbed, but so has the residential density and income levels of the surrounding neighborhoods. I don't know. Hopefully these can get back on track when costs stabilize.

^ what is the one thing that has changed that directly impacts labor costs and reflects on the bottom line?

The other costs can be absorbed through price increases but there comes a time when a plateau is reached where you can no longer compete.