Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default 2023 Development Update

I'm thinking of some plans that seem trapped in development hell and/or heavily delayed going into 2024.. Do we have much hope for some of these?

- Big Sean/Emagine [[how hard is it to make a theater?)

- City Club/Target

- Fisher Body 21

- The Mid [[lol)

- The Mosaic Eastern Market

- Lee Plaza [[received some funding)

- CODA Brush Park

- miscellaneous other Brush Park developments

- The District [[LCA Hotel and DCI residential set to start this coming spring..)

- Petit Bateau

- Michigan Central Phase 2 [[any word on the "West" building and plans for Rosa Parks lot?)

- The City's zoning update [[supposed to release spring '23)

- Others?

- Big Sean/Emagine [[how hard is it to make a theater?)- It's on hold!

- City Club/Target-It's on hold!

- Fisher Body 21-It's on hold!

- The Mid [[lol)-It;'s on hold!

- The Mosaic Eastern Market- It's on Hold!

- Lee Plaza [[received some funding)-It's on hold

- CODA Brush Park- It's on hold

- miscellaneous other Brush Park developments- some developed, the rest is on hold.

- The District [[LCA Hotel and DCI residential set to start this coming spring..)- It better not be om hold.

- Petit Bateau- It's on hold!

- Michigan Central Phase 2 [[any word on the "West" building and plans for Rosa Parks lot?)- construction slow down a bit. The rest of on hold.

- The City's zoning update [[supposed to release spring '23) It's cominc soon.

-Big Sean/Emagine: Construction was suppose to start in Fall 2023 and open in 2024.

- City Club/Target: Would imagine construction would have to start in 2024 considering Target Midtown St. Louis [[announced roughly the same time as Detroit) is expected to finish and open in 2024.

- The Mid: They have until Dec. 31, 2026 to build 7 stories so maybe it will start in late 2025?

- The District: Hopefully another project will break ground in 2024. Still can't believe they went through the whole CBO process and they haven't secured any of the land for the Woodward surface lots.

Would like to add:

-3rd and Charlotte - Looks like they removed the excavator and planted some grass which means it is either canceled or won't start anytime soon in 2024.

-Midtown West - Looks like they built a playground and there are some piles of dirt on the north end of site which probably doesn't mean anything. When is phase 2 suppose to start? Aren't these guys getting some major tax incentives for this project?

-112 Edmund - I imagine this won't start unless CODA Detroit starts or vica versa.

-Park Ave Building Renovation [[Building on corner of Park Ave and Adams Ave) - Was wondering what is happening with this? Didn't renovation start pre-pandemic?

-Detroit Shipping Container's Complex 444

-Brewster Douglas Development

-Midtown Cultural Campus by DIA

-Henry Street Apartment Building Renovations

-Elementa Development in Brush Park

-Union Street Renovation [[Was suppose to become a grocery store?)

-Wayne State + Kamanos Campus announcement details

In terms of Development for 2024 are we expecting projects to pickup or 2024 will be a slow year?

I imagine some of the following projects would break ground in 2024 [[with slightly more optimism):
    -Riverfront Hotel [[600 room hotel)
    -Monroe Blocks Marketplace [[Hopefully they can relocate Monroe Midway)
    -Henry Ford Hospital Expansion + MSU Research Center
    -Music Hall
    -Hastings Place?
    -Red Arrow Lofts
    -The Formosa Detroit
    Last edited by ShadowSoarer; December-30-23 at 11:19 AM.

People like Big Sean who make an announcement and then disappear owe it to the community to provide an explanation. Simply say that they couldn't obtain financing, after further research decided the market wasn't there for the project, etc. and whether they still plan to move forward or it's cancelled for now. These type of guys may have been well intentioned but too often they're happy to take the accolades at a press conference with no follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    People like Big Sean who make an announcement and then disappear owe it to the community to provide an explanation. Simply say that they couldn't obtain financing, after further research decided the market wasn't there for the project, etc. and whether they still plan to move forward or it's cancelled for now. These type of guys may have been well intentioned but too often they're happy to take the accolades at a press conference with no follow through.
    I do remember a couple of years ago Big Sean took a picture of the construction site of where the 2nd Ave bridge was being constructed [[it was also the same site where he intends to build the theater) and claimed the theater construction on Twitter. For the most part the general public did not know that was the construction of the 2nd ave bridge.

- Big Sean/Emagine [[how hard is it to make a theater?) - I bet we see a theater in the midtown/Wayne State area at some point, wont be surprised if it takes another 10 years though.

- City Club/Target - City Club just listed Elmwood Park Plaza for sale, I would guess this is a strategy to get more liquidity for financing this project. Their building in downtown Cleveland is really coming along nicely. I bet this breaks ground in 24

- Fisher Body 21 - This is a joke. The "black developers" behind this are a bunch of nobody's with 0 successful projects to their names. Look up their respective companies and you'll find lots of articles about the Fisher Plant, and not much else.

- The Mid [[lol) - They are in no rush, we'll get a 5-over-1 built here in 2027.

- The Mosaic Eastern Market - I'd love to see it, but with Carmondy's accident I'd say it's in limbo.

- Lee Plaza [[received some funding) - Probably still happening

- CODA Brush Park - I'm surprised at the lack of progress here. Seems like if there is one area that things actually get built it's Brush Park.

- The District [[LCA Hotel and DCI residential set to start this coming spring..) - The fact that Ilitch won't start development on the acres and acres of land they already own tells me they have no plan to build this [[big surprise). They can blame the city for not agreeing to their terms for the two lots on Woodward and let everyone forget about everything for 5 years.

- Petit Bateau - There is definitely work being done here, looks promising.

- Michigan Central Phase 2 [[any word on the "West" building and plans for Rosa Parks lot?) - I bet Ford takes a step back after MCS opens to see how things shake out at the campus before adding additional projects. I really hope to see some new ancillary development along 14th street, seems like prime space for residential!

- The City's zoning update [[supposed to release spring '23)

- Brewster Douglass - This is going to be a massive project. However with Book Tower down, City Modern finally wrapping and the Hudson site getting closer I bet Bedrock starts to seriously tackle wither the Gratiot site or Brewster Douglass.

Just remembered this one: what happened to the Detroit Shipping Company's mixed use project next door? Ground was supposed to break in late 2020 and nothing happened.

https://www.metrotimes.com/food-drin...month-25797026

Some of this stuff is just frustrating. A $6M project can't even get off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    Just remembered this one: what happened to the Detroit Shipping Company's mixed use project next door? Ground was supposed to break in late 2020 and nothing happened.

https://www.metrotimes.com/food-drin...month-25797026

Some of this stuff is just frustrating. A $6M project can't even get off the ground.
    The crazy thing is that the developer has since gone on to redevelop the former Lansing City Market:

Officially called Lansing Shuffle Food Hall & Social Club, the new destination is 14,000 square feet and plans to host live music, comedy, art, pop-up shops, shuffleboard leagues and private events.

Three restaurants for the seven stalls have been chosen and the complex is currently accepting inquiries from interested businesses on their website, lansingshuffle.com/restaurants. They’re seeking a diverse collection of chef-driven concepts, not chain restaurants.
    Paywalled Detroit News Article
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...er/9172571002/

I emailed the developer August of 2021 about an update on the Complex 444. They have changed the concept from micro-retail and restaurant space to a hotel.

If you want to be pro-active, the name of the representative and their email address is below:

Jonathan Hartzell <jon@detroitrisingdevelopment.com>

Two other really cool projects in Cass Park that stopped mid-construction and remain incomplete include:

BOULEVARD HOSTEL - hostel with restaurant and bar space

https://detroit.eater.com/2017/3/13/...restaurant-bar

TEMPLE DETROIT [former Standard Accident Insurance Co. building at 640 Temple] - 100-room boutique hotel,70 residential units, restaurant & nightclub venues.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...20/3355211002/