Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default 5 Things to be Thankful for This Weekend December 22 - 25, 2023

The Free Press did not post their usual "5 Things to Do This Weekend" list that I use to kick off the topic. Perhaps the editor, Brendel Hightower, may have been given a rest for the holidays.

So, I got the idea that it would be a good opportunity to pause and think about things to be thankful for. And, as I like to say, feel free to add your suggestions below.

1. I’m thankful for all the enlightening and entertaining posts you, the forum as a whole, have made about the surrounding communities of our beloved international metropolis of Detroit-Windsor. I have learned so much from your collective knowledge and wisdom and look forward to learning more.
    2. I’m thankful for the overall civility of these conversations and that, while we encompass a broad range of views on policies and politics, and write in from locations here, across the country, and around the world, we continue to maintain unity when it comes to care and concern for our metropolis and its future.
    3. I’m thankful for those who have supported the DetroitYES project with contributions and many kind remarks of encouragement.
    4. I’m thankful for the wit and humor of the many posts that have made me chuckle or even burst out laughing.
    5. I will be thankful to watch this forum, which began in 1999, celebrate 25 years of discussing Detroit in 2024.

Happy Holidays to all of you, your families, and friends.

I’ll close by posting a somewhat Santa Claus-like-view painting of mine called “Moonset over Michigan” which shows our metro as a united ball of light straddling the Straits of Detroit.

Happy holidays to you Lowell!

Great job of painting there, very striking image!!!

And a glorious holiday season to you also, Lowell. The painting is sublime.

Lowell,
    Happy Holidays and Thank You for...
    1. Technical oversight, maintenance and the "Great Migration" all with an extremely low downtime rate over these many years...without this nothing matters.
    2. Allowing the flow of news, geo-history, ideas, and discussions about Detroit, particularly members who contribute their mastery of history tools and databases...and helping those on the outside with their pleas and queries.
    3. Being the parent when "Political Mental Illness", obsession about one member or another, lack of focus, or pushing a pet project gets us off track.
    4. Your strong visual communication, great paintings and a sharp photographic eye.
    5. A great 25 years for us and others, as you or DYES is quoted in Blogs, Podcasts, and articles beyond our community.

Thank you very much for maintaining this interesting site and for
    your impressive painting.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Lowell, your art work has impressed me for years. The one you posted in this thread is very impressive!

Thank you Lowell!!! and Merry Christmas to all!!!

Thanks, Lowell!!

Merry Christmas! Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2024!!

And to all DetroitYES friends...wishing you great adventures and fun times in 2024!!

Kathleen and Dave [[aka The Grillmaster)

I'm thankful the greedy NFL put 20 hours of football on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so I didn't have to talk to the relatives.

Merry Christmas to all the gang!!

Stromberg2