Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Vote for your favorite Detroit songs as part of MDOT's Cass Avenue music sculpture

A sculpture celebrating Detroit’s music heritage will be installed near one of the city’s historic recording studios — and you have a say in the songs that will be highlighted.

The public is being encouraged to vote on its favorite Detroit music as part of the project, spearheaded by the Michigan Department of Transportation [MDOT]. You can cast ballots through Dec. 10 at bit.ly/SoundsofDetroit. The sculpture, titled “Sounds of Detroit,” will be installed along Cass Avenue at the southwest corner of the I-94 interchange, where MDOT is now rebuilding the overpass. The site is around the corner from United Sound Systems, the iconic recording facility purchased by the state agency in 2018.

Songs selected by the public will be featured on the sculpture, which is described as a “community-inspired design” with “serpentine lines representing sound waves.” Set for completion later in 2024, the sculpture is being designed by Cliff Garten Studio, a California firm that creates public art works. MDOT and the art studio were part of two recent neighborhood forums, where “there was a consensus that the narrative of the art should pay homage to the history of music in Detroit,” MDOT said in a Tuesday statement.As for picking the songs? There are two ballots, and voters can select five titles from each: The first ballot features tracks recorded at United Sound by various artists, from Aretha Franklin to George Clinton to the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The second is a general list of Detroit classics, including Motown, rock, hip-hop, techno and more.
    There’s also a write-in option
    https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...d/71669687007/

It's a scandal that Bob Segar's Turn the Page, recoded live at Cobo Arena in 1972 didn't make it anywhere on the list. It's gotta be one of the most played song to ever come out of Detroit created by a Detroit artist.

I put it as my write-in vote.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    It's a scandal that Bob Segar's Turn the Page, recoded live at Cobo Arena in 1972 didn't make it anywhere on the list. It's gotta be one of the most played song to ever come out of Detroit created by a Detroit artist.

I put it as my write-in vote.
    Definitely should be there instead of Like a Rock. Also, as a lifelong fan, why does everybody spell Seger wrong? Any list can be criticized but how can you not have the Supremes on the list? Sold more records than any other Detroit artist. Also, not a fan myself, but no MC5?

Gotta’ allow for a write-in vote, here’s my favorite bunch of local boys.

Name:  dog.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  77.2 KB

Anyone else been here long enough to remember "It's So Cold in the D"?