Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

1. Default Kmart Headquarters Demolition Begins

The former international headquarters of Kmart Corporation is being demolished.

The building was nicknamed "Fort Kresge".Troy, Michigan

The employees always referred to it as KIH.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    The employees always referred to it as KIH.
    I had to look that up {Kmart International Headquarters} and found this interesting story: Polyester Palace.

In one of my MBA courses, we had to a paper where we looked at various business decisions made by companies and evaluate whether they worked or not. I picked KMart. The paper practically wrote itself, because there was no need to do the evaluation phase. Literally every decision made by that company for the final 20 years was the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    In one of my MBA courses, we had to a paper where we looked at various business decisions made by companies and evaluate whether they worked or not. I picked KMart. The paper practically wrote itself, because there was no need to do the evaluation phase. Literally every decision made by that company for the final 20 years was the wrong one.
    We actually miss KMart in Canada more than you guys since we don't have Target or Meijer as a Walmart alternative. The stores were certainly a disaster the last 10 years though. I actually miss Kresge's more. Maybe somebody will put a lunch counter with tomato soup and grilled cheese in the dollar store.

Great video MichaelAnthony, thanks for sharing!

I still miss Kresge

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I still miss Kresge
    My wife and I were discussing this morning how the "Dollar" stores have filled that niche - without the lunch counters and the goldfish of course!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    We actually miss KMart in Canada more than you guys since we don't have Target or Meijer as a Walmart alternative.
    I thought that's what Canadian Tire is?

Me too. Also, I used to shop at a Walmart in Sarnia. Is that gone now?
    EDIT: I just checked; Walmart is near Lambton Mall, off the 402 near 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I thought that's what Canadian Tire is?

I hope that all of the lead, asbestos and other toxins in the debris is properly managed and disposed of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I hope that all of the lead, asbestos and other toxins in the debris is properly managed and disposed of.
    I assume those misters are to at least keep the dust down but yes, that alone isn't enough. I noticed the surrounding landscape was being maintained so hopefully someone responsible is in charge.