Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bigb23: You don't understand. Yes, it's true that not everybody has access to the Internet. But what we're doing in this country is pretending that everybody does. That way, people with Internet access aren't troubled by the fact that it isn't universal, and get to happily burble on about how now "we're all connected." Meanwhile, you have to go to some pretty difficult lengths just to use it. Could you please shut up? You're disturbing the illusion.

I will pay up. A city needs a paper capable of doing/sustaining investigative reporting. Bloggers and online sleuthing just isn't enough. No pressure. no results.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post

Oh, by the way, I'm writing this on the library computer, which is a twenty mile round trip for me.
    And how much did it cost you to drive that 20 miles? But you can't afford a buck for a paper?

Um, it might be that he lives in a rural area and can't afford books, newspapers, Internet, etc. Come on, Pft, let's not scold people who don't have money by prioritizing their expenses for them, OK?

lilpup Guest

Due to living within a mile from the library and its free internet access, I tried going without home internet a few times - couldn't hack it, it got too frustrating. The 'net really is addicting. The only way I've been able to do without it is to go cold turkey while camping.

And I once swore I would never buy a home computer unless it was to start a business.
    Last edited by lilpup; September-21-09 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Um, it might be that he lives in a rural area and can't afford books, newspapers, Internet, etc. Come on, Pft, let's not scold people who don't have money by prioritizing their expenses for them, OK?
    Thanks Dnerd - yes, I do live in a rural area, and I get to the library computer only when I have other errands to run in the area. It's too bad that we seem to be running behind alot of third world countries when it comes to internet and cell coverage for all.

I would happily pay a dollar a day, to have a full coverage newspaper delivered to by doorstep.

Having said that, I will not pay a penny more for the 10-page [[if that) drizzle of recycled pap they call news half the week. It's really getting pathetic what they pass off as a newspaper, or news in general anymore. Between the poor reporting, lack of substance and detail, oh, and let's not forget the lack of proof-reading. Sometimes it's hard to determine what they are trying to tell you between the spelling and grammar errors. This pertains to both the print and online versions.

I guess I'll just have live in my special bubble I never hear about murders, or rapes, or any other crimes. And all the politicians are honest and fair and truly care about the people they represent.

<sigh>

And isn't that the truth!? Double the price but don't put an ounce more content in it is not going to gain any readership. The increase to a dollar is surprising. It seems like if they want to raise it to a dollar, they should up it a quarter first to 75 cents, then to a dollar after 9 months or something. If they were going to revert to a larger and more content full arrangement, then a dollar might not seem like such a blow.

As for the modified Free Press, I'm not that much of a fan, so I get the News when I can. The formats are similar, but I like the way the News is laid out better, and in general it seems like what is printed in the News is less "Shockingly" written than in the Free Press.

For any of my paper box buddies out there, if you're downtown and your box is empty, try the ones between 8th and Cabacier just east of the Post Office in Fort. There are two each News and Free Press boxes there, and in the morning they're really filled up. Lots of business from USPS employees and others there.

I would gladly pay $1 if the newspaper actually reported local news. Down here they went to a dollar 9 months ago. But they will not report or investigate much in local news because they don't want to offend a possible advertiser. It's mostly fluff and AP stories from places I don't care about. Unfortunately newspapers are dying. And I do have to admit, it's tough to read a laptap sitting on the can.

I think if they were smart, they'd leave most of the National/International news to USA Today, TV, and online sources, and focus heavily on things directly affecting us - SE Michigan and statewide news, business, sports, and stories. I can read about fires in Cali and soldiers in Afghanistan online many different places, but when I want Detroit and Michigan news, my options are far more limited.

Who cares? I've bought about a dozen total copies since before 'The Strike'. It's been in serious decline ever since then. I re-upped the Ann Arbor News just prior to it becoming AnnArbor.com. What a boo boo. I won't make that mistake again at re-up time. Does the NY Times deliver sunday papers on sunday in the A2 area? Maybe I'll get the Toledo Blade or the Windsor Star.

A few years back I found a banded stack of Sunday NY TIMES at the church paper drive, Back then I thought it was an interesting read.If I get rid of the FREEP, that would solve the problem of getting rid of the papers at my house.

I stopped buying papers at 50 cents for the daily and 75 cents for Sunday. It just wasn't worth it when every other page was a full page ad, and most of the pages had at least a quarter page of ads. There was only about 10% of what was left worth reading. Then there was the factor of so much waste paper and/or storing it until you could take it to a recycler.

Since retiring, I've given up news on the radio and TV - can't
    stand all the ads and promos for the network shows and now my newspaper is full of full page ads. When atty's can advertise on the front page, it makes me very sad. Maybe I don't need to know what's going on or maybe what's going on is not interesting or news worthy. I do miss the comics though. Some habits are hard to break.

This is another outrageous attempt by Gannett to destroy it's own business -- that is to say Newspapers. These papers are in serious trouble, and I wish I personally had the capital to purchase one or both of them and bring them back on track to prosperity.

At the end of the day, people need to buy Product, something both of these papers have forgotten since at least the JOA. That whole creation of the JOA was disastrous in terms of both legal repercussions and creating a monopoly which allowed both papers to suffer. Think you'd have to drive to the store to pick up your paper 5 days a week if we didn't have the JOA? It's unlikely at best due to competition.

I'd love to see both of these papers have a rebirth. Close down the bureaus and station "satellite reporters" throughout the country. Actually do investigative reporting, hire columnists that aren't afraid to baby their op. eds and use vague generalizations. Make this paper worth reading again!

I don't understand why people are unhappy with the summaries. I happen to like that. If it piques my interest I'll flip to the back and read the story.
    The thing that I miss in the Freep is the opinion page not even being a full page anymore.

The Free Press is offering a digital subscription for $39/year {expires in 23 hours}. That's cheap!

Regarding the post above, another thing I miss is the weekly Science section, written by local science journalists. I looked forward to that every Tuesday {did I get the day right?}.

I just checked the price of a digital subscription to the NY Times, expecting it would emphasize what a bargain it is to get the Freep for $39/year, and wow, they've cut their rates too. They're running an offer to receive a digital subscription for only 25 cents per week the first year. So only ~$13 for the year. It's $2/week after that, but there's no obligation.

It's well worth it to get both!
    Last edited by bust; July-03-21 at 04:56 PM.

12 years later and they are both still standing. So much for the nay sayers

Note to self: read NYT not Freep or News

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Note to self: read NYT not Freep or News
    Why the hell would you want to read that hack borderline corporate propaganda paper over local news sources? Wow what bad take.

NYT is exactly the problem with news today. It's not that people don't want to read the daily paper, it's that media has consolidated into a few giant companies. And these companies can now get away with literally lying to the country because who the hell is gonna stop them.

Better note: throw any word that comes out of NYT [[or any big media outlet) in the trash and read anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The Free Press is offering a digital subscription for $39/year {expires in 23 hours}. That's cheap!

Regarding the post above, another thing I miss is the weekly Science section, written by local science journalists. I looked forward to that every Tuesday {did I get the day right?}.

I just checked the price of a digital subscription to the NY Times, expecting it would emphasize what a bargain it is to get the Freep for $39/year, and wow, they've cut their rates too. They're running an offer to receive a digital subscription for only 25 cents per week the first year. So only ~$13 for the year. It's $2/week after that, but there's no obligation.

It's well worth it to get both!

All big/traditional media is desperate right now ever since Trump exited office, their numbers are in free fall. NYT can afford to make their prices even lower but that doesn't make it a better deal since reading NYT is worth eating literal garbage, maybe with some shit mixed in with it too.

^^^ Didn't get the memo on 'No Politics' eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Why the hell would you want to read that hack borderline corporate propaganda paper over local news sources? Wow what bad take.

NYT is exactly the problem with news today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    ...reading NYT is worth eating literal garbage, maybe with some shit mixed in with it too.
    You haven't read the New York Times much, have you?
    Don't know much about journalism, claim you do.
    Hella jump on what someone said, don't you?
    Don't really care about anything, PieDiePew.

Was it you, or you under your other moniker who advocated unvaccinated younguns get back to partying like it's 1999 'cause you heard the coronavirus doesn't affect you, you think it's on the old folks, the chemo patients, the immunocompromised, etc. to hide away on old folks island?
    Easy to get you mixed up; same voice, such a crass.
    Last edited by bust; July-03-21 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^^ Didn't get the memo on 'No Politics' eh?
    You did not get the memo that only one side of the “fence” is allowed politics,you seem to have no problems partaking in the process of interjecting politics into posts but yet you feel the need to remind others not to ?

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...s-Itself-Again

post 20 22 and 23.

20 and 22 is all you

It is interesting reading the posts here and seeing how the media has evolved since 2009,with a majority being a one sided view point that tries to wipe out opposition.

So the question is,are they using politics and building that base as a mode of survival or are they reporting what they actually believe.

The days of Walter Cronkite are long gone.

With the local news being run by outside corporations,which is common now country wide they really do not seem to be getting down to the hard stories anymore.
    Last edited by Richard; July-04-21 at 03:29 AM.

Comparing a whiney crybaby golfer to a whiney crybaby golfer is not political on a thread about whiney crybaby golfer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast