Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default It's official. Dearborn's Arab Population surpasses 54.5%.

And here is the source.

The second predominately Muslim City in U.S. next to Hamtramck.

https://news.yahoo.com/census-arab-a...100547282.html

Default A "sea story"

In the late 60's I worked on six boats on the Great Lakes. The Vietnam War was still going on so there was a lot of shipping. Labor was scarce. Most of the lake freighters, at the time, were Seafarer Union boats. Many of the boats had one or more Arab workers who usually worked in the engine room of fire hold. The reason given for hiring Arabs, I heard this from multiple fellow workers, was that the Seafarer's Union did not want to hire black employees. The Arabs worked out because they would quit the boats as soon as they could find a job in the Ford foundry. It was warmer there. They settled next-door in Dearborn. It was the beginning of the the Arab settlement in Dearborn. There was a union agent in Buffalo, the story went, that helped Arabs immigrate if they paid him $500 and accepted a job on a freighter. The Seafarers Union now has black members.

I had a roommate for a while on one boat, Ali from Yemen, who talked a lot about his son. He was alway worried about his son. Although married with daughters, he never spoke about them.