Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    The most enduring thing I learned from that time and later on in life is,

Unless you own the means of production you will always get the short end of the stick.
    There's a curious analog of "owning the means of production" in information science called "Zero Knowledge Proof of Knowledge."

Under the right circumstances one could use it to force one's employer to become one's customer. Essentially, you'd prove that you can easily provide a valuable solution to the employer's recurring problems without revealing any clue about how the technique could be replicated by anyone else. No need for patent protection — the innovator would retain intellectual property rights barring contractual restrictions.

I suppose that's what ransomware hackers do except theirs would be a one-time exploit. ZKPoK would provide an addition continuous revenue steam, not unlike most common business models.

This, after all, is what business does normally. There is nothing shocking here.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-19-23 at 08:52 PM.

Cracks are beginning to show in the facade of union solidarity.

Having been through a strike of some length during Detroit's fall inclement weather and the shorter days along with financial pressures building there are signs of members wanting to vote earlier than the union bosses desire.

With the holidays approaching, this and all the above will wear down your resolve.

I truly believe any union that calls a strike late in the year understands the pressures that accumulate and leads to a shorter resolution of said strike.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; October-22-23 at 01:34 AM.

While looking for a different actor I stumbled onto this interesting bit of history:

How Ronald Reagan led the 1960 actors' strike – and then became an anti-union president

Production on US film and television sets has ground to a halt as Hollywood actors have joined writers in walking off sets. At issue are residuals {or royalties}, streaming services and the use of artificial intelligence.

The last time there was a "double strike" was 1960, when future United States President Ronald Reagan was head of the powerful Screen Actors Guild {SAG}....

In the 1930s and '40s, Reagan was a self-proclaimed "New Deal Liberal" and a proud supporter of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Reagan became a SAG member within a month of moving to Hollywood. In 1941, his then-wife Jane Wyman — a member of the union's board of directors — suggested him for a vacancy on the board.

Reagan was nominated for the SAG presidency by movie star Gene Kelly. He would go on to serve two stints as union head, from 1947–1952 and 1959–1960....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Cracks are beginning to show in the facade of union solidarity.

Having been through a strike of some length during Detroit's fall inclement weather and the shorter days along with financial pressures building there are signs of members wanting to vote earlier than the union bosses desire.

With the holidays approaching, this and all the above will wear down your resolve.

I truly believe any union that calls a strike late in the year understands the pressures that accumulate and leads to a shorter resolution of said strike.
    Even worse if the recession kicks in deeper,straight from the picket line to the food line.

Then they have to turn right back around and negotiate a pay cut in order to keep their job,or lose it.

It's so fascinating to hear everyone's stories.

My very, very first job was in a union at Hollywood Supermarket. It's the only job I ever had where I used a paper time card that was inserted into a punch clock.

I was a bagger/cartboy. My union dues were taken out of my paycheck. I was paid $5.15 an hour, which was actually the minimum wage at the time. I quit the job after 3 months because the management treated me poorly.

My wife works in education and has been in a union her whole life. When she first started teaching she made barely anything, but she quickly got her masters degree and eventually moved into education administration.

Right now we have the best of both worlds. My job in the private sector, and her job as a public servant with a pension at the end of the rainbow. We've been quite fortunate and hopefully our luck will continue until we retire in our early 50's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2