Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Childhood Street

What street did you live on as a kid.

We lived on Coplin right next to what is now called Positive Images. It used to be a nuns convent and I would go there if I was locked out of the house and they would let me sit with them until my mother got home.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAnthonyVideos View Post
    What street did you live on as a kid.

We lived on Coplin right next to what is now called Positive Images. It used to be a nuns convent and I would go there if I was locked out of the house and they would let me sit with them until my mother got home.

Sounds like nice opening scene for a Netflix series.

Maddelein between Redmond and Boulder. In the shadow of St Jude's bell tower. That thing rang 4 times a day back then and would damn near knock me out of bed at 6 am daily.

East Outer Drive at E. Warren

The block that was found between Van Dyke to the east, Baldwin to the west, Conger to the north and Phelps to the south. It became the athletic field for Kettering HS and now the site for some factory.

Lived on Conger first then moved across the alley to Phelps.

12316 Sorrento, just south of Fullerton. Me with Blackie about 1938. Yes, 1938.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

19499 Littlefield between Vassar and St. Martins. House is still there; the neighborhood has held up well.

16210 Lawton St. was my childhood home from 1977 to 1985.

1146 Ashland between Jefferson & Kercheval from 1959-1970. The block is 75% vacant lots now. Ives Elementary at 1146 Philip is also gone.

Infantry - between Cadet & Vernor - then Livernois between Army & Regular southwest Detroit, near Fort Wayne

70 West Warren, between Woodward and Cass, now site of the Wayne State Bookstore. Okay it wasn't my childhood home but it was my first Detroit home when, as a college student, I rented an apartment there in 1967.

I rode the Warren Crosstown bus to the Rouge and the assembly lines of the Dearborn Engine Plant where I for three summer I worked my way through college

Thanks to becoming a UAW member, and earning three times as much as the minimum wage jobs offered in the small towns where I grew up, I left university debt-free.

And, as you may have noticed, I became hooked on Detroit!

5966 Marseilles... between I-94 and Chandler Park Dr., near Balduck Park on the far east side. The neighborhood has held up well... although after the 2008 recession, crime had increased.

Biltmore, between Keeler and Midland.

My childhood address is my profile name. Six Mile and Gratiot - a great neighborhood when I was growing up in the 50's to early 70's.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    12316 Sorrento, just south of Fullerton. Me with Blackie about 1938. Yes, 1938.

Three Mile Drive, the block running Waveney down to Bremen, between E Warren and Mack Ave. Lived there for 18 years. All our childhood memories are on that block. Have fond memories of friends long since moved on and out of our lives. Can still name nearly all of our neighbors both sides of the street. But it's sad to see...driving Three Mile Dr from Warren down to Mack...with gaps where houses once stood, especially the house next door and across the street.

Kathleen... I know what you mean... it is shocking to go thru your old neighborhood just west of EEV, and see all the missing houses!

I was just looking at the streets from University to Radnor, as see that my old neighborhood is still intact. Not sure what spared my old neighborhood, and not yours. Your neighborhood had larger and nicer houses.

Small world. I lived one block north of Kathleen although earlier as a child. There was an Eichenlob family near the NW corner of 3 Mile and Waverly at the time. The DeMeyere's had a big family at the NE corner of Coureville and Waverly if you knew any of them.

I lived 850' from Gistok, I think about the same time on Farmbrook. I had a couple of friends on Marseilles [[1962?). One had the surname Dumas. The other was blond, Polish I think, but I can't remember his name. Maybe you remember those guys or are one of them. Not related but I've since been to Marseilles, France to visit a cemetery. I had some discussion with Kathleen and Gistock several years ago about some of this.

I lived at 80 W. Ferry three blocks north of Lowell in 1967 while working for good union pay for Barton-Mallow Construction as a laborer. Lowell an I sort of traded places by switching states. I moved to the place Lowell mentioned where wages were 1/3 as high as UAW wages but was lucky enough to land a union job there.
    Last edited by oladub; September-17-23 at 10:09 AM.

At Christmas time when I was growing up my Dad would take us out to look at all the Christmas lights and the biggest, best one I recall was on Three Mile Drive. I think it was on the "rich" side of Kerchival.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    At Christmas time when I was growing up my Dad would take us out to look at all the Christmas lights and the biggest, best one I recall was on Three Mile Drive. I think it was on the "rich" side of Kerchival.
    My parents did the Christmas light viewing too, but usually in GP, and on Woodward in Downtown Detroit. Did anyone ever go and walk around the Hudson's building evenings, looking at the window displays, with the little mechanical elves making "Christmas toys"? Lines of people and kids would snake around the building.

My first 3 years were spent in an upper flat rented by my parents on Knodell, between Erwin and McClellan. My grandparents lived on Woodlawn not quite across the alley from that flat. I think there is only one house left on that side of Knodell today. My grandparent's house was demolished 15 or so years ago. My eternal thanks to DetroitYes member ookpik, who emailed me a photo of my grandparent's house before it was demoed.