Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Royce, cruising is a misnomer.

It isn't about cruising. It's about parking.

Cruisers drive slow to find their friends parked along the road, or perhaps to find others with similar cars [[say, late 60's Mopars). Then you stop and chat. Perhaps for the entire evening.

There's no roadside parking in the Detroit sections of Woodward. So no reason to cruise by there. Why would you? To drive past no one and look at nothing?

Look at the sections of Woodward north of 13 mile. The businesses are set back from the road, and there is angled parking behind the curb. Also many small parking lots where clubs can gather. So the people driving can cruise by slowly until they see a clique they can relate to, and pull in.
Rocket I disagree with you. There are plenty of places to park just south of the overpass. Park in front of the cemetery along Woodwsrd. Park on the outer edges of the parking lot of the Gateway shopping center where local Detroit vendors could line and sell their goods. One of the big three could have a spot in the Palmer Park area or have events in Palmer Park. Dead zones are better for layovers because cruisers are not hogging up strip mall parking that could be used for customers patronizing businesses. The one reason why I think that the Dream Cruise doesn't want to include any parts of Detroit in its cruise is probably due to greed or a disagreement on how much of the piece of the pie Detroit want from the Dream Cruise. Each city probably along the Woodward corridor from Ferndale north to Pontiac probably get something from the Dream Cruise franchise for it to run through their respective cities. Detroit is probably asking for too much from the franchise just for the Dream Cruise to even travel south to the Gateway Shopping Center or to Palmer Park area itself. Just imagine the activities that could had been held at Palmer Park not only from stages of Chrysler, GM and Ford all set up at Palmer Park or one having a stage at the Statedair Grounds and the other at Palmer Park. Even Ford could have it's set up at the closed Ford Factory on Woodward in Highland Park. I think that it's an excuse that cruisers are afraid of having their cars stolen if they Cruise south of 8 mile road. Many participants stay with their cars at all times and the ones that are uneasy don't have to travel and set up their little layover spots in Detroit. I think power play or Detroit officials are asking to much of the franchise pie for the Dream Cruise to travel south to Detroit