Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Eight players outgoing, 10 players incoming, five players released. Got all of that?
    It makes them a little better but these are the type of players that are easy to pick up. It's mostly just minor stuff, exchanging expiring contracts. A good gm would have moved Bogdanovic much sooner or packaged him with Thompson for a good player, 1st round picks, etc.

The Pistons are the doormat of the league. All the other teams wipe the floor with them. How is it possible that with all their high draft picks they are this bad?

I'm seeing a lot of progress with the Pistons particularly with their super-young of core Cade, Duren, Ivy, Thompson, and Sasser. The new-addition Italian Fontecchio looks promising adding some missing 3-point shooting. James Wiseman, a former No. 2 pick and still only 22, is also upping his game.

Cade Cunningham is the genuine item. Nobody can play him one on one. He reminds me of Adrian Dantley in that aspect but can shoot 3's as well. He just needs another top talent so he doesn't get double teamed every time. Maybe that will come as the Pistons are certain to add another young talent with a lottery pick, hopefully they luck out and get No. 1.

This team reminds me a bit of the Lions under early Dan Campbell. They lose but they are in most games up to the end. They just can't seem to finish the close ones. They're athletic, exciting and fun to watch especially on fast breaks.

But they're still young, turnover prone, get out of control and make stupid mistakes. But, for sure, they are markedly getting better and stronger all the time.

I admire your optimism Lowell. But wow, it had to have been tested by the Miami game the other night. Game was tied with the shot clock off and the Pistons' last possession consisted solely of Cade dribbling for at least 10 seconds and then launching a contested three with 9 seconds still on the clock. A miss, a Miami rebound and of course a buzzer beating three ended the game in Miami's favor. Cade's been in the league for three years. Actual franchise guys do better. And Miami played the whole game without Jimmy Butler, their franchise guy. We don't have nearly enough 3 and D guys and with what has happened this year, it's uncertain whether we have our franchise guy. We're not a free agent destination so we have to draft well and develop winning players. It's not happening. We are the Sacramento of the East except that team is now comfortably in the playoffs.

I have to agree. Cade clearly is shooting and playing better but the decision making and turnovers are mind boggling. He sometimes hesitates and then makes a soft pass which gets intercepted. Ivey is also better but can't shoot 3's and Duren is great on the boards but has no offensive game. Thompson is good to come off the bench and play defense but not much else. Stewart is shooting some 3's but is badly undersized for what he's being asked to do. Overall, they are playing hard but are still a mess.

When you build a team, you can't just put together a collection of parts and pieces. It's not just about getting the best player, it's about getting the best player for the team. You need players whose skills complement each other, who, if one player is weak in area, it can be made up by another player being strong in that area. Done right, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Brad Holmes has proven his is very good at this. Troy Weaver, on the other hand, is not.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    When you build a team, you can't just put together a collection of parts and pieces. It's not just about getting the best player, it's about getting the best player for the team. You need players whose skills complement each other, who, if one player is weak in area, it can be made up by another player being strong in that area. Done right, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Brad Holmes has proven his is very good at this. Troy Weaver, on the other hand, is not.
    The fact that a veteran like Fontecchio has made the team better by being a good fit is proof of what you're saying. The type of guy it was obvious they needed and a competent gm could easily have been picked up a year ago for little in exchange.

I'm seeing a lot of progress with the Pistons particularly with their super-young of core Cade, Duren, Ivy, Thompson, and Sasser. The new-addition Italian Fontecchio looks promising adding some missing 3-point shooting. James Wiseman, a former No. 2 pick and still only 22, is also upping his game.

Cade Cunningham is the genuine item. Nobody can play him one on one. He reminds me of Adrian Dantley in that aspect but can shoot 3's as well. He just needs another top talent so he doesn't get double teamed every time. Maybe that will come as the Pistons are certain to add another young talent with a lottery pick, hopefully they luck out and get No. 1.

This team reminds me a bit of the Lions under early Dan Campbell. They lose but they are in most games up to the end. They just can't seem to finish the close ones. They're athletic, exciting and fun to watch especially on fast breaks.

But they're still young, turnover prone, get out of control and make stupid mistakes. But, for sure, they are markedly getting better and stronger all the time.
    I love your enthusiasm but I'm not seeing the same step forward you are. After a plethora of high draft picks their still not close to surpassing their dismal 17 win season last year. They been among the worst teams in the NBA for a few years. Yes, I agree that CC is a great player, maybe if another great wing man comes along, he can be the type of player who carries the team on his back to the playoffs, but I don't see that now. For me it's hard to find silver linings in the clouds for this current pistons team, their record is just unacceptable, too many 15 point blowouts. Some heartbreakers mixed in with those losses, but not many.

Another high draft pick is forthcoming, but I have no trust in this particular group who are doing the selecting.

As this miserable season draws to a close there is one sensational and entertaining highlight that has gone largely unnoticed amid yet another losing streak with half the team on the injured list.

Piston last-season pick up Malachi Flynn came off the bench to score 50! points, falling one point short of tying the NBA record for bench scoring. It was a delight to watch.

https://www.nba.com/news/pistons-mal...-off-the-bench

As this miserable season draws to a close there is one sensational and entertaining highlight that has gone largely unnoticed amid yet another losing streak with half the team on the injured list.

Piston last-season pick up Malachi Flynn came off the bench to score 50! points, falling one point short of tying the NBA record for bench scoring. It was a delight to watch.

https://www.nba.com/news/pistons-mal...-off-the-bench
    And they still lost by 10!
    Just kidding, sort of. It was a great performance from a guy who seldom plays more than a few minutes. I used to watch him on the Raptors. He can give you some scoring once in a while but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    And they still lost by 10!
    Just kidding, sort of. It was a great performance from a guy who seldom plays more than a few minutes. I used to watch him on the Raptors. He can give you some scoring once in a while but not much else.
    And I'm willing to bet inspite of that 50 pt outburst, Flynn won't even be on the team next year. He'll windup being the answer to a trivia question. The first thing Troy Weaver did when he got here as GM, was trade Bruce Brown for a guy that even isn't in the league any more. Brown worked to develop himself into a very good and useful player that can play multiple positions and makes winning plays, and he got a nice contract for his efforts in FAgency, even though the Pacers traded him in the deal for Pascal Siakam. I don't trust Weaver to reconstruct this team into a winner, even though he mentored under one of the best GM's in the game, in Sam Presti.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-05-24 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And I'm willing to bet inspite of that 50 pt outburst, Flynn won't even be on the team next year. He'll windup being the answer to a trivia question. The first thing Troy Weaver did when he got here as GM, was trade Bruce Brown for a guy that even isn't in the league any more. Brown worked to develop himself into a very good and useful player that can play multiple positions and makes winning plays, and he got a nice contract for his efforts in FAgency, even though the Pacers traded him in the deal for Pascal Siakam. I don't trust Weaver to reconstruct this team into a winner, even though he mentored under one of the best GM's in the game, in Sam Presti.
    Since you mentioned Troy Weaver, I'd like to know how on earth this guy still has a job.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Since you mentioned Troy Weaver, I'd like to know how on earth this guy still has a job.
    Great question!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4