Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default HP / Riverwalk fenced off

Why is hart plaza fenced off? Seems like it’s been up for a while and nothing is going on?

Also why is the riverwalk fenced at riverfront towers? That’s very annoying

I had been asking the same question pertaining to the Riverfront Towers for 3 years. The Riverfront Conservancy is not answering questions asked to them by other people on their Facebook and Instagram pages. I had emailed them questions about the fencing but received no answers. It had been reported on the streets that the residents of the Riverfront Towers didn't want the Riverwalk going in front of their buildings so an extended boardwalk section was made for that portion of the Riverwalk but then the fence still stayed to keep those who want to enjoy the Riverwalk from walking past their private parcel of land. That portion should be open and lead up at least past the Towers to west Jefferson until the rest of the proposed Park is completed. The residents of the Towers are enjoying the fenced off part why can't the rest since fundings and grants were used on that section as well as the rest of the Riverwalk. You could also send Council President Sheffield an email asking why that section remains fenced off after 3 years of completion. She sat on the board of the Riverfront Conservancy as well. She might be still there but she did have a position with the Riverfront Conservancy a year ago or so

I did a quick search on hart plaza and it appears to be the go to place to hold a protest.

Protest in 2021 because they removed the homeless from there and several others,probably did not like spending $4 million to revamp it s ok it could become ground zero for protests instead of regular events so they figured they would just fence it off and take it down when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I did a quick search on hart plaza and it appears to be the go to place to hold a protest.

Protest in 2021 because they removed the homeless from there and several others,probably did not like spending $4 million to revamp it s ok it could become ground zero for protests instead of regular events so they figured they would just fence it off and take it down when needed.
    I doubt it has anything to do with protests. They generally only fence it off when it's in disrepair due to loose tiles, being repaired or for ticketed events. The African World Festival is this weekend and has an admission charge now. May have just left them in place for that.
    Last edited by 401don; July-11-23 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I doubt it has anything to do with protests. They generally only fence it off when it's in disrepair due to loose tiles, being repaired or for ticketed events. The African World Festival is this weekend and has an admission charge now. May have just left them in place for that.
    Hart Plaza had been fenced off in order to charge for once free events that are being held at Hart Plaza. There are two openings to get into Hart Plaza during the weekdays or when there's no event going on. The purpose of Hart Plaza was to hold free events. That ceased around 2012 when event goers were being charged $3 to $5 to attend events such as Rib and Soul Fest and Mexican Festival. The Techno Festival started charging attendees as far back as circa 2003. Tickets were $20 then. That's was around the first time a fence was erected around Hart Plaza for profit. The African World Festival was free when it had left Hart Plaza around 2009 but upon returning to Hart Plaza attendees were charged.

In a sense it's a good thing that the fences are up because at this point there are so many festivals during the summer in Hart Plaza that rather than take them down they just leave them up. Several of these festivals are either new or have returned due to the increased activity downtown.

The fences will come down once "festival season" is over.

IIRC, The city has $9M in the current fiscal year budget for improvements that will likely kick off once all the festivals are over with additional funds in coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Hart Plaza had been fenced off in order to charge for once free events that are being held at Hart Plaza. There are two openings to get into Hart Plaza during the weekdays or when there's no event going on. The purpose of Hart Plaza was to hold free events. That ceased around 2012 when event goers were being charged $3 to $5 to attend events such as Rib and Soul Fest and Mexican Festival. The Techno Festival started charging attendees as far back as circa 2003. Tickets were $20 then. That's was around the first time a fence was erected around Hart Plaza for profit. The African World Festival was free when it had left Hart Plaza around 2009 but upon returning to Hart Plaza attendees were charged.
    I'm aware of all that. What's your point? The city decided it needs revenue for certain events due to the various costs so it's fenced off for those.

Regarding the boardwalk in front of the towers.

I read somewhere that they are keeping that section closed until the ralph wilson park is completed. Since it stops right there at the other end and doesnt go anywhere i guess they wanted to keep people from walking up and down it for no reason. Probably an agreement between the conservancy and the towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapooty View Post
    Regarding the boardwalk in front of the towers.

I read somewhere that they are keeping that section closed until the ralph wilson park is completed. Since it stops right there at the other end and doesnt go anywhere i guess they wanted to keep people from walking up and down it for no reason. Probably an agreement between the conservancy and the towers.
    There can be a path that could lead to the other side of the towers to West Jefferson. When walkways are not used for a period of time they begin to crack and grass will find its way though

Whomever own the fence companies that leases these fences used on projects and development around Detroit must be making a lot of money from these slow to complete projects and developments

This is a paid event happening at Hart Plaza weekend of July 22
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/riverfr...dssbdestsearch

Quote Originally Posted by noenaim View Post
    This is a paid event happening at Hart Plaza weekend of July 22
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/riverfr...dssbdestsearch
    So is the African World festival this weekend.

Pretty timely article about the Riverwalk work linking Ralph Wilson Park to the rest: Detroit News

"Last month, work began on a small but vital link of the riverwalk at 1351 W. Jefferson Avenue, between the Detroit Riverfront Towers and the future Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Centennial Park. The link, about 600 feet long, will connect Wilson Park to the rest of the riverwalk, which runs east to Belle Isle."

The African World Festival is this weekend. It is celebrating its 40th anniversary. However the price is $15 for all three days unless you are a member of the African Museum then it’s free. Last year it was free before 6pm on the first day which was Friday and then $15 after 6. Now its $15.00 all three days but children under a certain age get in for free. I usually attend all ethnic festivals throughout the year. However being that it cost I cut my visit to one day. I think that more people would attend if the price was $5.00. On the other hand people pay $100s to attend the Movement Festival. I am guessing that Hart Plaza had become a money making venue instead of sponsors covering the acts.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Pretty timely article about the Riverwalk work linking Ralph Wilson Park to the rest: Detroit News

"Last month, work began on a small but vital link of the riverwalk at 1351 W. Jefferson Avenue, between the Detroit Riverfront Towers and the future Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Centennial Park. The link, about 600 feet long, will connect Wilson Park to the rest of the riverwalk, which runs east to Belle Isle."
    Within one year the Joe Louis greenway had started and gained distance. The Southwest Greenway had started and was completed. Roosevelt Park was dugged up and redesigned in completed. Meanwhile the little strip of trail that connect Mt Elliot Park to Belle Isle Park which could had been completed this month is being dragged out to almost the end of autumn to be completed. I cant help to wonder is money being redirected to some other unrelated cause