Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default WJR going all local programming

The so-called Great Voice of the Great Lakes is now going all local, at least during daytime, eff June 20. This will really dull down an already dull station, local programming of which has been a combo of Good Old Boys [[Lansing politicos, auto execs, ch of comm types and don't forget the golf) backscratching, tepid interviews and boring topics. This when programming actually makes it into the hourly clock, so stuffed with commercials it's hard to get legit programming in edgewise. This will be the final turn off - literally - for me.

That's hopeful to hear. Maybe it will bring back Detroit issues and news, just like in the days of yore. Sadly, it had degenerated into primarily featuring syndicated right-wing rant radio shows that are not based in Detroit. However, it seems that those shows are being dropped from the daytime schedule. I did notice that a few of them are still being aired during the evening hours.

will any African-American hosts be part of a lineup? weekdays? weekends?

Whatever they change it to has got to be better than the crap they have on now. That station hasn't been good since Jimmy Launce and the days of Hortense Waffle

I saw somewhere that they were going to follow the same diversity programming plan as 1130 AM WDFN and WGPR Hot 107.5

Quote Originally Posted by 467riverfix View Post
    The so-called Great Voice of the Great Lakes is now going all local, at least during daytime, eff June 20. This will really dull down an already dull station
    Sorry to hear your cat-whisker radio only tunes-in 760kHz.

For reasons which currently escape me, I'll humor you:

What sort of programming would you like it to have? Do you expect it to change it's listener demographics?

I can remember back in the 1980s when it [[& most other stations) did have local programming and a live host most of not all hours of a day. I was embarrassed for the station when [[& someone correct me if I'm wrong, it was 25+ years ago...) they became a Midnight Trucker Radio Network for their overnight programming.

I remember when it was "Pillow Talk" in the late night and classical music in the evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
    Sorry to hear your cat-whisker radio only tunes-in 760kHz.

For reasons which currently escape me, I'll humor you:

What sort of programming would you like it to have? Do you expect it to change it's listener demographics?

I can remember back in the 1980s when it [[& most other stations) did have local programming and a live host most of not all hours of a day. I was embarrassed for the station when [[& someone correct me if I'm wrong, it was 25+ years ago...) they became a Midnight Trucker Radio Network for their overnight programming.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I remember when it was "Pillow Talk" in the late night and classical music in the evening.
    My overnight memories are Night Flight 760.

https://thumbwind.com/2022/05/06/night-flight-760/

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    My overnight memories are Night Flight 760.

https://thumbwind.com/2022/05/06/night-flight-760/
    I would listen to the Sports Final with Bob Reynolds from 11:15-11:30, especially if the Tigers won that day, and then fall asleep to the first 10 minutes of Nightflight with the transistor radio under the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I would listen to the Sports Final with Bob Reynolds from 11:15-11:30, especially if the Tigers won that day, and then fall asleep to the first 10 minutes of Nightflight with the transistor radio under the covers.
    Working midnights in the DPD, would do what had to be done until about 4 in the morning, at which time it was time to head for the foot of 12th street and listen to Nightflight 760 until the sun rose. Maybe we dozed a bit, but if KQA-371 uttered our car number, we were wide awake.

They were good times. How many can say they absolutely loved their jobs all their lives? I still can't believe I got paid for doing that. Sigh.

700 WLW down in Cincinnati has been nearly all local --- including the overnights --- for decades now.

The exceptions have been:

1) introducing syndicated Red Eye Radio in the 1 AM-5 AM block recently, WLW was hurt by having their overnight host recently pass away, and

2) Bill Cunningham's syndicated Sunday night show from 10 PM-12 AM. WLW is the flagship station for this syndicated show, though, so it's quasi-local.

WLW also has the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and Bearcats. Which all fill a lot of hours, particularly on the weekends. But still - there's absolutely no reason WJR cannot follow a model like this. WGN, FWIW, has a similar model.
    Last edited by MrNittany; June-13-23 at 01:32 PM.

At least we wont have to hear Dan Bongino anymore. Does anybody actually listen to his lame angry white guy act?

"Pillow Talk" was on WNIC with Allen Almond - ?

Yeah, I think I was thinking of Night Flight, but I did listen to Pillow Talk too
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post

Back in Pillow Talk's heyday, one of the radio stations did a spoof with Wally Walnut.