Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Grand Prix a Bonanza for Downtown Businesses

The return of the Grand Prix to downtown is being hailed as a success according to this Free Press article. I think this bodes well for future races and Detroit's image. From the point of view of visitors, Downtown Detroit has to be a completely different entity from the ghost town of ruins and abandonment it was in 1991 when the race was last held there.

As for the race, which I watched on TV, this was a far better course than the old downtown course or Belle Isle‘s. Both of those were slow and neither had practically any opportunities for lead change. By contrast, There were over 200 position changes in this race, and the long Jefferson straightaway let the big engines go wide-open, all making the race exciting.

Mid-point of Jefferson straight away.
    Name:  gp2.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  226.4 KB

End of straight away turn.
    Name:  gp3.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  264.3 KB

Name:  gp4.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  251.4 KB

I was in grandstand 3B and the end of the long straightaway [[right above the camera in your 2nd photo). It was incredible watching the cars sprint down Jefferson then dive into the hairpin turn and exit out toward Bates.

I have attended several Detroit GP's and this was by far my favorite. The big event energy downtown felt a lot like the Final Four, Super Bowl, or other large events downtown. The incredibly unique part of this was the accessibility. The only areas that required tickets were the grandstands and suites. Ticketed or not, everyone had a chance to see a good portion of the track and eat from the vendors in Hart Plaza and other areas. Whereas in the past you had to have a ticket just to get on the bus for a cramped ride out to Belle Isle then wait in long lines to get back to your car. I heard nothing bus positive feedback from those that attended regarding the setup and the actual race itself.

My family has attended the Indy 500 regularly and occasionally goes to the Detroit GP. I think our new routine will involve 2 straight race weekends. This was just too good not to do regularly.

Also from today's Free Press... As an opponent of using Belle Isle for the race I alway found this tradition to epitomize the insult of taking a large chunk of the island away from the public for months. Sort of final FU to the public. Anyone from the public taking a dip in the Scott fountain would face arrest.
    Name:  gpfu.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  118.9 KB

When I was downtown late Saturday afternoon, sharing the city with some friends visiting for Detroit for the first time, there were a lot of people out and about outside the racetrack...up and down Woodward Avenue, in Campus Martius, and in Capitol Park. The restaurants appeared to have plenty of customers too. The fact that we could see cars on the racetrack without paying was a plus!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Also from today's Free Press... As an opponent of using Belle Isle for the race I alway found this tradition to epitomize the insult of taking a large chunk of the island away from the public for months. Sort of final FU to the public. Anyone from the public taking a dip in the Scott fountain would face arrest.
    Name:  gpfu.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  118.9 KB
    I didn't have a big issue with them taking a dip in the fountain. It was a unique thing to do. Actually the fact that it was an organic tradition that started off with a spontaneous celebration made it more special than some contrived ceremonial thing carrying a sponsor's endorsement.

Now jumping on top of the lions or turtles as happened a few times was a different story as it had the potential to damage portions of the fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The incredibly unique part of this was the accessibility. The only areas that required tickets were the grandstands and suites. Ticketed or not, everyone had a chance to see a good portion of the track and eat from the vendors in Hart Plaza and other areas.
    Wow! I thought you had to pay to get anywhere near the track? Thanks for the insight DetroitSoldier! I'll definatly be there next year!!!

As a downtown Detroit office worker I must say the Grand Prix is a massive PIA. They didn't get westbound Jefferson from Rivard to the Lodge open until after 11:00 a.m. this morning.

^^ Having worked downtown back in the '80s when the race was held downtown, I can say this new track footprint is smaller, and from what I saw in the weeks leading up the the race, it was up and intrusive for less time. Really less a PIA than it originally was!!

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    As a downtown Detroit office worker I must say the Grand Prix is a massive PIA. They didn't get westbound Jefferson from Rivard to the Lodge open until after 11:00 a.m. this morning.
    I also work downtown and had no issues getting to or from the Z Lot or One Woodward Garage either day. I imagine it's different if you work in the Ren Cen but I was surprised by how accessible downtown still was during the race.

Anyway, this view was pretty fantastic

Name:  Grand Prix.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  138.7 KB

I park in Ford Underground and couldn't get to it at all.

Great shot K-slice!

I had the same view.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I park in Ford Underground and couldn't get to it at all.
    Oh yeah, right in the middle of the track!

I came to hate the Grand Prix because of what it did to the island but I loved having it downtown and a short walk from home. The traffic at times was a pain but I loved being able to spend time on Belle Isle this spring without it looking like a prison camp.

how much will traffic downtown be disrupted due to the tear down? how many parking lots have yet to go back to normal?
    were police services disrupted downtown?

Prix Fixe. But not a Fixed Price at the Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how much will traffic downtown be disrupted due to the tear down? how many parking lots have yet to go back to normal?
    were police services disrupted downtown?
    sounds like there is a shortage of parking lots downtown needed for large events,maybe people should advocate for more so it is not a inconvenience once a year for a couple of days.

Having the GP on Belle isle was just weird,what was the reasoning behind that in the first place?

It was great to be able to see the cars roaring down the track from different areas of downtown Detroit without having to pay to be in the stands

Default Why GP went to Belle Isle

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    sounds like there is a shortage of parking lots downtown needed for large events,maybe people should advocate for more so it is not a inconvenience once a year for a couple of days.

Having the GP on Belle isle was just weird,what was the reasoning behind that in the first place?
    The downtown streets were too bumpy, the manhole covers blew off under the suction of the cars, Dennis Archer I think was Mayor so he allowed it to move to BI and Penske wanted the view of the city in the background and the fountain as a "decoration". The businesses downtown complained too. The fountain is actually very fragile and the damage partially caused by jumping in it is still apparent. The basin is still leaking, the leaks caused the underground mechanical action area of pumps to be off limits for any human due to mold for a long time. I'm so glad the GP is off the island but unhappy that taxpayers are paying again to have the streets repaved for the race just like they did on Belle Isle. I'm sure MDOT will repave more of the bumpy track downtown before next year. Hope they never come back to the island and Penske should pay to have the fountain repaired. Oh, and the 10 acres of concrete in the paddock has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Detroit has tons of parking downtown especially on weekends.

When the GP moved to Belle Isle, downtown Detroit was too scary for GP crowds.

Sad to hear about that fountain...... It was a backdrop for several special events for my family over the decades [weddings, etc] without GETTING INTO THE WATER! Of course it is fragile. Not for jumping into!

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    The fountain is actually very fragile and the damage partially caused by jumping in it is still apparent. The basin is still leaking, the leaks caused the underground mechanical action area of pumps to be off limits for any human due to mold for a long time....