Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Cured-In-Place-Piping [CIPP] Process used in Detroit infrastructures?

Cured-in-place pipelining sickens scores of people as popularity grows [[usatoday.com)

The fumes can be deadly, but the process is not regulated by the EPA or OSHA. Also, not regulated by the states. I hope CIPP isn't being used in Michigan. Alternatives are significantly more costly. And additional costs aren't baked into current federal infrastructure improvement grants.

Yes, definitely being used here.

At first I was skeptical that this could be a problem because there are water traps that prevent hydrogen sulfide from entering a dwelling from a sewer. But then I read this:

That these emissions don’t automatically infiltrate every dwelling is thanks to a plumbing feature commonly called the P-trap. This U-shaped bend in the pipes under most sinks and toilets is designed to trap enough water from daily washes and flushes to effectively block fumes from the sewer from entering a structure....

Even when the traps are full, pressurized steam or liquid from cured-in-place pipe projects can blow the standing water out of toilets and drains....
    So yeah, that makes it sound like the technology has been deployed prematurely.

It's bad enough when sewers back up from natural causes. We shouldn't be doing it ourselves. Doh! LOL

I don't think it's that big of a deal. We're talking about epoxy [[or maybe polyester)- that's all this stuff really is.

Sure it might make people a little sick under direct exposure, but consider a few factors:

1. Once it's dry its harmless. Long term exposure= long term problems, this is all short term exposure.
    2. Blowing out traps sounds...rare, and even if it does just turn on your faucet for 5 seconds and problem solved. It dries pretty quick so unlikely it'll would happen twice.
    3. It's incredibly cost effective and lasts 50 or more years. Highly unlikely you'll ever experience this more than once in your lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    I don't think it's that big of a deal.
    What is your area of expertise?

P.S. Why are you angry?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    What is your area of expertise?

P.S. Why are you angry?
    My area of expertise is offering opinions on the internet. I also do a lot of wood working so epoxies are something I spend a decent amount of time around. I also had CIPP used in my own house

I'm not really angry it's just an inside joke that I use for old accounts. That said I think people see my username and subconsciously perceive a lot of what I say as an attack

My area of expertise is offering opinions on the internet. I also do a lot of wood working so epoxies are something I spend a decent amount of time around.

West Systems, S3?

I'm not really angry it's just an inside joke that I use for old accounts. That said I think people see my username and subconsciously perceive a lot of what I say as an attack

Kind of like "Honky Tonk"...
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-03-23 at 06:17 AM.

Asbestos
    Lead
    Pex
    Sharkbite
    T-11 siding
    particle board infused with embalming fluid off gassing
    Arsenic as a preservative

Lots of materials used in the building trades that seem like cutting edge at the time,until they are not.

Interesting enough 100 + years later hollowed out tree logs are still carrying water safely to customers.

[QUOTE=Honky Tonk;634444]West Systems, S3?

Yep both! I certainly think there are risks and acknowledge that some people are allergic but I think this is more of a hazard to the installers that use it every day than the nearby residents

The line in the story about "pressurized steam or liquid from cured-in-place pipe projects can blow the standing water out of toilets" reminded me of an incident at a local Wendy's.

A customer was using a toilet {fortunately standing, not seated} while a plumber was working. For whatever reason, the plumber blew compressed air into the pipes turning the toilet into a momentary geyser. The customer took it well, considering the circumstances, and the Wendy's manager paid for his dry cleaning. No real harm done.

I don't know whether or not the plumber hung an out-of-order sign on the toilet. If he didn't, he should have.

Just another wacky event in this bizarre experience we call life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    For whatever reason, the plumber blew compressed air into the pipes turning the toilet into a momentary geyser.
    The first fast food bidet?

The first fast food bidet?
    Heh. That would have come in handy during the toilet paper shortage.

To this day if I see a plumbing truck in an establishment's parking lot, I take a mental note to avoid their restrooms.

To this day if I see a plumbing truck in an establishment's parking lot, I take a mental note to avoid their restrooms.
    Detroit crews tending to 20 water main breaks amid high demand [[detroitnews.com)

Here's a report of 40 water main breaks:
    Water woes: Crews struggling to keep up with dozens of water main breaks across Detroit.

Yikes! At least it's not winter.

Here's a report of 40 water main breaks:
    I'm guessing the city uses CIPP.

I'm guessing the city uses CIPP.
    Yes they do. Or GLWA does.