Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default About McNichols/6 mile between East Outer Drive and Van Dyke

Does anyone know why there’s no road there?

That road on E. 6 Mile Between Van Dyke Rd and E. Outer Drive near Mount Olivet Cemetery closed long ago due the expansion of Detroit City Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That road on E. 6 Mile Between Van Dyke Rd and E. Outer Drive near Mount Olivet Cemetery closed long ago due the expansion of Detroit City Airport.
    Runway length increase was needed to continue patronage jobs and excessively expensive jet fuel sales funding re-election campaigns. [[My, am I grumpy today, but this is how the world often works.)

Back in the 1960's I use to take the 6 Mile bus to Dendy High School for drivers training, Cass Tech didn't have one. Did you know that 6 Mile Rd was once known as Jerome Ave.?

Name:  ver hoven.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  136.9 KB
    Last edited by CassTechGrad; May-20-23 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    McNichols is McNichols always. Jerome St. runs diagonally.
    This is the deed information from my grandmothers house on Moenart in the 1920's at the intersection of Davison & 6 Mile. The change is noted on the right margin but the map still shows it as Jerome.

Name:  Moenart house - small [[2).jpg
Views: 581
Size:  94.4 KB

The name Jerome St. in 6 Mile Rd. has been moved into a diagonal street corner and was replaced with E. McNichols Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4174.../data=!3m1!1e3

“CuriosiD: We Answered All Your Questions About the Mile Road System.”
    WDET 101.9 FM-Detroit's NPR Station: Pat Batcheller August 8, 2019

“Historian Ken Coleman says Six Mile Rd. in Detroit is called McNichols after the former president of the University of Detroit. It was done after John McNichols’ death in 1932.”

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    “CuriosiD: We Answered All Your Questions About the Mile Road System.”
    WDET 101.9 FM-Detroit's NPR Station: Pat Batcheller August 8, 2019

“Historian Ken Coleman says Six Mile Rd. in Detroit is called McNichols after the former president of the University of Detroit. It was done after John McNichols’ death in 1932.”
    That looks interesting. Here's a direct link to the specific article:

CuriosiD: We Answered All Your Questions About the Mile Road System

Audio at the link.

East of Gratiot we always referred to Seymour St as 6 Mile and then west of Gratiot it was McNichols.

Back in the 1960's I use to take the 6 Mile bus to Dendy High School for drivers training, Cass Tech didn't have one. Did you know that 6 Mile Rd was once known as Jerome Ave.?

Name:  ver hoven.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  136.9 KB
    Ha, I did exactly the same thing.
    Kettering didn’t have drivers training either.
    Google maps shows the old pavement on Denby property.
    The instructor was a gruff old Detroit cop.

This is an excellent thread. I am not at all an east sider but I liked some items on here. The 1974 Nova at Ver Hoven was a best buy at the time. Those cars were quite economical and reliable for that time, unlike the Vega or the Pinto or the Chevette. I drove Chevettes starting in about 1976. They were okay up to 85,000 miles, then they needed a clutch replacement and the box of tools in the hatch.

I used the Google Maps function to find the current diagonal Jerome Street. It's not on the deed map. Grandma's house on Moenart isn't there any more.

My own practical driver's training took place at Kimball High School in Royal Oak in about 1974, though I attended Dondero for the rest of my classes. I was a nervous learner for the most part. The practice cars were roomy sedans with automatic transmissions and power steering donated by a local dealership. I forget which one.
    I did start to enjoy wiping out in the parking lot slush after a while.
    I flunked the class at first. Then Mom went to meet with the driving instructor and gave him what for, probably with no swear words but in an emphatic voice, after which he raised my grade in the class from a flunk to a D minus.

I learned to drive, sort of, at Denby in 1972 too. I lived a mile or two from the school but attended Regina for school. We drove Challangers, I think; they had the jacked up rear end with a small rear window and I was short and couldn't see out of it to parallel park or back up well. Never went faster than 15 miles per hour on the course and never drove anywhere else. I could angle park and drive in a straight line when I left there. To this day I'm a nervous wreck behind the wheel and have only driven twice since we moved to Clawson 10 yrs ago.

I found a couple of Denby yearbooks and got these pics. I had mine during the summer of 1965, what I remember most was we had this HOT girl and I would always try to sit near her when we when inside for class work.

Name:  denby [[2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  120.0 KB

If I remember correctly my instructor was a mr Hawk?

I found a couple of Denby yearbooks and got these pics. I had mine during the summer of 1965, what I remember most was we had this HOT girl and I would always try to sit near her when we when inside for class work.

Name:  denby [[2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  120.0 KB

Love the last photo of the Charger doing a burn-out!

Same here, but I went to Pershing for drivers training so I could the 7 Mile bus home. That would have been c1963.

Took my driver's training at Osborn in 1971, the instructor kicked me out of the class for wearing my White Panther Party button on my jacket. I got halfway home, turned around and went back and promised to never wear it again in class and he let me back in.

Closing McNichols [6 Mile] really screwed up crosstown travel. You have to either go up to 7 Mile or down to Harper/I-94 to get across town east/west.

Not doing a burnout just cold outside that day-exhaust steam.
    That’s a ‘68 coronet-nothing special.

Thanks a lot Detroit City Airport. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4195...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4196...8192?entry=ttu

"I'm sorry but, this is a dead end!" Agent Smith
    Last edited by Danny; May-25-23 at 05:29 AM.