Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Maybe they should move the Thaddeus Kosciuszko statue from along Michigan Ave to the park. Granted a Revolutionary war hero has little to do with Roosevelt Park... but it is beautiful statuary, which with a new cement or stone plinth, would make an attractive addition and focal point to the park. It is on one of the most hideous bases of any statue that I know. And moving it to a new location with an attractive pedestal along Michigan Ave wouldn't be so bad.

[My apologies to the folks who find my continuous preoccupation about finding a better location for that statue, a Bicentennial gift to Detroit from the Polish government.]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like Roosevelt Park the way it is. Clean, practical, and lots of room to set up for events

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Maybe they should move the Thaddeus Kosciuszko statue from along Michigan Ave to the park. Granted a Revolutionary war hero has little to do with Roosevelt Park... but it is beautiful statuary, which with a new cement or stone plinth, would make an attractive addition and focal point to the park. It is on one of the most hideous bases of any statue that I know. And moving it to a new location with an attractive pedestal along Michigan Ave wouldn't be so bad.

[My apologies to the folks who find my continuous preoccupation about finding a better location for that statue, a Bicentennial gift to Detroit from the Polish government.]
    I have found memories of Thaddeus. We used to stop and look at the statue on our walks from downtown to Tiger Stadium throughout the '70's & 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    The Corktown parking desert had more to do with the city's failure to build rapid transit than the stadium's physical presence in the neighborhood.

Chicago's Wrigleyville is a dense, walkable area with minimal parking. The difference is they built an elevated rail network with 3 lines/stations nearby.
    I used public transportation when attending baseball games at Tiger Stadium. Easy ideas out.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    It's pretty obvious that the train station is the centerpiece of the park.
    Maybe, but that's like saying the skyline is the centerpiece of Belle Isle. It adds a great visual backdrop, but provides no tangible amenity or 'third space' to the park itself.

I think I was expecting more of a reason to actually congregate in the park, or at least more than just benches and swings.

In the debate about what should be in Roosevelt Park I was surprised to see that they have bbq's there. Would not have expected that.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I used public transportation when attending baseball games at Tiger Stadium. Easy ideas out.
    What are the future plans for the Tiger Stadium site? That could be another major improvement for Corktown/Michigan Avenue, but Comerica Park wouldn't want the competition, so it can't make a comeback to its previous incarnation [[a major sports stadium), unless Detroit needs another one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    What are the future plans for the Tiger Stadium site? That could be another major improvement for Corktown/Michigan Avenue, but Comerica Park wouldn't want the competition, so it can't make a comeback to its previous incarnation [[a major sports stadium), unless Detroit needs another one of those?
    I'm not sure there's any more room for future plans. On the site now is the PAL Stadium, a mixed use building with apartments and storefronts, condos, and affordable housing.

The Corner Apartments | ROSSETTI

Old Tiger Stadium apartments done: Here's a look inside [[freep.com)

Townhome Condominium Project Underway in Detroit’s Corktown - DBusiness Magazine

Former Tiger Stadium Site in Detroit Scores $42M Housing Development - DBusiness Magazine

Sneak peek inside The Corner Ballpark at the old Tiger Stadium - Curbed Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Strangest post I've seen in a long time.

looking at "The Corner" apartments website, the spaces are quite pricey, so hopefully the audience the owners are looking for are renting.

Name:  365436203_1188051818759062_4891782405271150699_n [[1).jpg
Views: 112
Size:  128.1 KB

From MPA's Facebook page:

Situated in the heart of Corktown, 1350 Michigan Avenue consists of the transformation of the 20,000-sqft Spaulding Building and a 60,000-sqft ground-up residential development on adjacent vacant land. The existing Spaulding building was once home to a fine furniture maker before being converted into an electrical parts manufacturer in the early 1900s.
    MPA is preserving the existing masonry structure and historic character while incorporating ground floor retail off Michigan Avenue, 18 walkup units, and six modern rooftop additions and terraces.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3