Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Cinco de Mayo on Vernor

Did anyone go to Cinco de Mayo this year? WOW, wow, wow!

The Greektown thugs showed up that's for sure! On Vernor from I-75 to Clark Park every lot, sidewalk, parking lot was like a huge rap/hip hop club. Cars, people drinking, smoking dope, yelling, playing LOUD rap music everywhere. Anyone who tried to pipe some Mexican music was TOTALLY drowned out by rap music. NOT ONE thing would make you think it was Cinco de Mayo. Cops every 100 feet!!! I guess they knew this crowd well. I don't think I saw ONE Mexican on the street!!! I definitely wouldn't go back. Totally disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post

The Greektown thugs showed up that's for sure! On Vernor from I-75 to Clark Park every lot, sidewalk, parking lot was like a huge rap/hip hop club. Cars, people drinking, smoking dope, yelling, playing LOUD rap music everywhere. Anyone who tried to pipe some Mexican music was TOTALLY drowned out by rap music. NOT ONE thing would make you think it was Cinco de Mayo. Cops every 100 feet!!! I guess they knew this crowd well. I don't think I saw ONE Mexican on the street!!! I definitely wouldn't go back. Totally disappointed!

I was there, on Vernor, between the 75 and @ Clark Park. Went for food then ice cream @ La Michoacana. It was packed with slow traffic, but doable. I saw a lot of cars with younger people, riding around waving Mexican flags, but I didn't feel threatened at all. This was early evening. Maybe things escalated later on?

I can't speak for Friday, but The Sunday parade is usually over by 2 or 3PM, once every one goes home usually it gets a little rough. It's always been like that since I was a teenager in 2008. It actually calmed down a lot from what I heard. I remember in 2009 two Mexican kids were killed in front of my aunt on the side of Western High School. Then years later in 2014 the leader of the ASAP gang [[now called 049) was gunned down before I could even get a chance to go down there for the festivities.

As long as the shootings are under control, I feel safe. It just sounds like you were expecting the parade to last longer than it did.

Is this the first time that a parade was held the Sinday after the holiday instead of the Sunday before? I know that W Vernor was barricaded off between Clark Park to I 75 on Friday. I don't know why. However I did enjoy the activities on Friday

There was no parade. It was 7pm on Friday night, May 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    I can't speak for Friday, but The Sunday parade is usually over by 2 or 3PM, once every one goes home usually it gets a little rough. It's always been like that since I was a teenager in 2008. It actually calmed down a lot from what I heard. I remember in 2009 two Mexican kids were killed in front of my aunt on the side of Western High School. Then years later in 2014 the leader of the ASAP gang [[now called 049) was gunned down before I could even get a chance to go down there for the festivities.

As long as the shootings are under control, I feel safe. It just sounds like you were expecting the parade to last longer than it did.

That's when I was there, Friday night. Vernor was blocked off but like I said, not even a HINT of anything Cinco de Mayo. LOUD and ROWDY!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Is this the first time that a parade was held the Sinday after the holiday instead of the Sunday before? I know that W Vernor was barricaded off between Clark Park to I 75 on Friday. I don't know why. However I did enjoy the activities on Friday

That's when I was there, Friday night. Vernor was blocked off but like I said, not even a HINT of anything Cinco de Mayo. LOUD and ROWDY!
    Can I ask what time you were there?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Can I ask what time you were there?
    He said the date and time two posts above yours.