Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    While I agree that this "dropout" statistic is a muddle of many reasons kids don't end up graduating from a DPS school, the various reasons for it all reflect poorly on the DPS. If the DPS were doing a great job educating students there'd be far fewer students transferring to Catholic schools, charter schools, schools of choice in other districts. Fewer families would move out of the city seeking superior schools. More students would graduate on time.

Therefore the "dropout" statistic is a poor measurement of actual dropouts but a fairly good indicator of the overall quality of the school system.
    I agree completely. All of the other school districts studied had the same potential for this miss-measurement. However, DPS still ranked as the worst. This is still an indicator that something is broken, despite the way the metric is collected/measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    However, DPS still ranked as the worst. This is still an indicator that something is broken,
    That is the understatement of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I agree completely. All of the other school districts studied had the same potential for this miss-measurement. However, DPS still ranked as the worst. This is still an indicator that something is broken, despite the way the metric is collected/measured.
    I completely disagree.

The other school districts have not seen the dramatic loss of students that DPS has seen. This statistic, how it is used paints districts that lose a lot of students in an incorrect light.

Even if DPS ranked as the worst it is still not representing what is being portrayed. The statement, "This is still an indicator that something is broken, despite the way the metric is collected/measured" is incorrect. If you want to indicate something then the methods and statistics used should indicate specifically that.

This stat is often incorrectly perceived to indicates how many children in Detroit graduate. If you want to indicate if 'something is broken' I would recommend identifying how many children start DPS and graduate elsewhere or do not graduate at all.

I think we can all agree that DPS [[and the city) is broken. Using stats that are incorrectly used to infer 75% of DPS kids drop out and do not graduate is incorrect.
    Last edited by jt1; September-16-09 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I completely disagree.

The other school districts have not seen the dramatic loss of students that DPS has seen. This statistic, how it is used paints districts that lose a lot of students in an incorrect light.

Even if DPS ranked as the worst it is still not representing what is being portrayed. The statement, "This is still an indicator that something is broken, despite the way the metric is collected/measured" is incorrect. If you want to indicate something then the methods and statistics used should indicate specifically that.

This stat is often incorrectly perceived to indicates how many children in Detroit graduate. If you want to indicate if 'something is broken' I would recommend identifying how many children start DPS and graduate elsewhere or do not graduate at all.

I think we can all agree that DPS [[and the city) is broken. Using stats that are incorrectly used to infer 75% of DPS kids drop out and do not graduate is incorrect.
    So what if the dropout rate is way lower then 75 percent. Call it 50 percent instead, that's still a woefully inadequate number of students graduating.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    So what if the dropout rate is way lower then 75 percent. Call it 50 percent instead, that's still a woefully inadequate number of students graduating.
    You obviously missed thepoint of my post. I am in no way defending DPS as I think that DPS is a mess and a disservice to the children. DPS's failure however don't chnage the fact that when a 75% not graduating rate is inferred it is incorrect.