Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default British Car Dealerships That Were Located In Detroit And The Surrounding Area

Does anyone remember a British Car Dealership that was located in Detroit, specifically on or near Vernor Highway; near where the Freeways have been built?

Quote Originally Posted by Truck451 View Post
    Does anyone remember a British Car Dealership that was located in Detroit, specifically on or near Vernor Highway; near where the Freeways have been built?

I don't recall one near Vernor. Could you be thinking about Lang's Triumph? I believe it was around Michigan and Lonyo. Just off of the South 94 service drive.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-27-23 at 06:26 AM.

I believe there was a Triumph dealership on Morang just north of I-94.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I believe there was a Triumph dealership on Morang just north of I-94.
    That's a good question. In 1981, I had an MGB that needed a new hood. I went to a shop somewhere on the East side that had Triumph and MG parts, and I think serviced the cars. It's so long ago that I don't recall much about the place, other than the guy working there told me to stay inside the building and not venture around outside while I waited for the hood to be loaded in my truck. I always thought it was on McNichols, but it could have been Morang.

Lamg's on Morang, a few blocks south of Kelly?

FALVEY MG MOTOR SALES CO.
    21425 Woodward Avenue
    Ferndale

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    That's a good question. In 1981, I had an MGB that needed a new hood. I went to a shop somewhere on the East side that had Triumph and MG parts, and I think serviced the cars. It's so long ago that I don't recall much about the place, other than the guy working there told me to stay inside the building and not venture around outside while I waited for the hood to be loaded in my truck. I always thought it was on McNichols, but it could have been Morang.

Told to avoid the hood while waiting for the hood. Lol

I had a mid 70's Triumph TR6. It was a 1974, or 1975 maybe. That vehicle was horrible. I couldn't keep it running even when it was new. My last British car of any make. Hardly ever see a Triumph or MGB from that era at car shows, you may find one occasionally, but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Told to avoid the hood while waiting for the hood. Lol
    Yeah, it's funny, I don't remember where it was located or what the place looked like, but I remember the conversation. The guy told me it would take a few minutes, so I started walking toward the door. The rest of the conversation was:

"Are you thinking about going outside?"
    "Yeah."
    "Don't."

That was it. I stayed inside.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    Yeah, it's funny, I don't remember where it was located or what the place looked like, but I remember the conversation. The guy told me it would take a few minutes, so I started walking toward the door. The rest of the conversation was:

"Are you thinking about going outside?"
    "Yeah."
    "Don't."

That was it. I stayed inside.
    Doubt is was on Morang. Back in the 70's-80's Morang was a very safe & civilized area.

British import dealers from 1967:

Name:  20230428_185958.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  270.8 KB

Name:  20230428_190114.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  236.6 KB

Name:  20230428_190504.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  129.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Doubt is was on Morang. Back in the 70's-80's Morang was a very safe & civilized area.
    Agreed. That's why I would be surprised to find out it was on Morang. Perhaps it was just a used parts shop that had an MGB hood, rather than an actual MGB parts supplier. It was long ago.

Lucas electrics, the Prince of Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Lucas electrics, the Prince of Darkness.

Boy, you've got that right. I don't think the Brits knew what rain or cold was. On a morning like today's, it wouldn't start. Finally replaced the Lucas coil with one from Sears, and Packard 440 wires. My chances of going somewhere in inclement weather improved tremendously.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-30-23 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    British import dealers from 1967:

Name:  20230428_185958.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  270.8 KB

Name:  20230428_190114.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  236.6 KB

Name:  20230428_190504.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  129.0 KB
    Thanks for that. It was Burban Motor Company, not Lang's I used to go to for parts. I don't see Redford Stables listed?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-30-23 at 09:27 AM.

Bought a new Midiget in 1976, I kept a can of starting fluid in the car. If it got cold I didn't even try to start the car before spraying some in the carbarator.

Samples Auto Sales was on Gratiot, east of Connor IIRC. They were a dealership for Sunbeam Alpine.

My brothers and I all owned Alpines at one time or another. I was the first with a used 1961, my twin brother bought a new 1964 and my younger brother had a used 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Bought a new Midiget in 1976, I kept a can of starting fluid in the car. If it got cold I didn't even try to start the car before spraying some in the carbarator.
    You may see an occasional MGB here or there at car shows. You NEVER see an MG Midget anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Samples Auto Sales was on Gratiot, east of Connor IIRC. They were a dealership for Sunbeam Alpine.

My brothers and I all owned Alpines at one time or another. I was the first with a used 1961, my twin brother bought a new 1964 and my younger brother had a used 1962.
    Name:  20230501_102322.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  237.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    FALVEY MG MOTOR SALES CO.
    21425 Woodward Avenue
    Ferndale
    That's a good one. I remember it.

I was a customer of Lang’s on Morang for a few years. The owner told me that the location started as a Crosley dealership. Fair dealer but expensive. I found an independent shop near six and Gratiot that did good work.

Weird considering they have their fair share of rain! But not Michigan cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Boy, you've got that right. I don't think the Brits knew what rain or cold was. On a morning like today's, it wouldn't start...

Having had several MGs, not once have I ever had one not start and run. Of course I've broken things driving enthusaistically. Out driving today; at 93 years old it still does everything a car needs to do, and looks good doing it

Quote Originally Posted by kklemmer View Post
    Having had several MGs, not once have I ever had one not start and run. Of course I've broken things driving enthusaistically. Out driving today; at 93 years old it still does everything a car needs to do, and looks good doing it
    If you can keep those things running, you must be a machinal genius.

Does anyone remember a Dealership that sold Austin, Morris, and BMC Commercials, such as these Morris Vans like the ones pictured below?