Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Downtown apartment help

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has had firsthand experience living in the Millender Center apartments. The location near CAYMC, Rencen, and the people mover is ideal, but I'm reading of terrible elevators and it appears that the maintenance might be lacking. During my visit at the millender center center, I noticed that most of the stores had permanently closed, except for the party store. Additionally, over half of the escalators were out of service, and there were missing ceiling tiles in several areas. kind of a bummer. Is the same company managing the center as the apartments?

Looked at Detroit City Club, but it appears to be outdated and I've seen some pretty negative reviews on YouTube. Griswold is also an option, but it may be outside of my budget.

I'm also interested in the Book Tower, but I'm struggling to find any information on their availability. Does anyone know if they've opened yet?

Ideally, I'm searching for a unit on a higher floor with a good view and in-unit laundry, a balcony would be a plus, but it's not a deal-breaker.

I'm surprised to hear it's in such bad shape. There was supposed to be a major renovation when Village Green bought it in 2013. As far as Book Tower, an article in one of the papers last week stated leasing of the apts. would start in April. You can inquire by phone and e-mail on their website booktowerdetroit.com
    Last edited by 401don; March-31-23 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    I'm also interested in the Book Tower, but I'm struggling to find any information on their availability. Does anyone know if they've opened yet?

Ideally, I'm searching for a unit on a higher floor with a good view and in-unit laundry, a balcony would be a plus, but it's not a deal-breaker.
    I can help you with Book Tower leasing, sent you a DM!

I walked the book tower this morning and I was stunned it is an amazingly beautiful building. The rooms are expensive, cheapest floorplan is a studio around $2000 plus but the views and Amenities are just amazing.

The cheapest downtown apartments are the Town Apartments on First and Bagley, and the 28Grand Apartments.

The Ashley might also be an affordable option, don't know if they have in-unit laundry:
    https://www.apartments.com/the-ashle...it-mi/dbzeszj/

The 3 Capitol Park apartment buildings owned by Curator have in-unit laundry, but they are kind of expensive as I am sure you know, and it is $255 for monthly parking in a garage.

I lived at Millender from 2012 to 2020. I was there when it got bought by Village Green in 2013. Village Green does not own the "Millender Center" area with the shops and escalators. GM used to own it and they didn't really maintain it. Not sure if they still own it.

The square footage is great for the price. You'll never hear your neighbors as the building is concrete. The elevators were fast, when they worked. City Market is great to have. You can get into City Market without going outside in the winter. The building is safe, and the fire alarm hardly ever went off.

The Brush and Congress sides of the building are LOUD in the summer due to street noise. I slept in my kitchen some nights in the summer. When I moved in during 2012 the elevators were newer and worked great. When I moved out in 2020 they were starting to get scary. Village Green posted on Facebook saying they are replacing the elevators. Not sure if that is actually happening or not.

You generally get a new property manager every year. If you get a good one, things will be better for a while. If you get a bad one, things will be slightly worse.

Overall I enjoyed living there, which is why I was there for 8 years. There were definitely some downsides though!

We had an apt. on the 27th floor on the west side [get in that side if possible] from 2014-2016. It is since called Renaissance City Apartments. It was well run and the views spectacular—ships in the river, festivals at Hart plaza, the fireworks and Campus Martius... There was and presumably still is a great rooftop clubhouse and they were adding an eighth floor outdoor garden replacing dormant tennis courts.

The location was excellent with the people mover stop and elevated walkways across Jefferson to RenCen and city hall made getting around in winter convenient. Loved hiking over for happy hours at top of RenCen. Likewise lower floor’s parking made driving in and out simple. Indoor pool and little workout gym too. And, as mentioned, an excellent little in-house market was a welcome convenience.

That was then, this now so I don’t know it’s current level of management or upkeep but it was excellent then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    We had an apt. on the 27th floor on the west side [get in that side if possible] from 2014-2016. It is since called Renaissance City Apartments. It was well run and the views spectacular—ships in the river, festivals at Hart plaza, the fireworks and Campus Martius... There was and presumably still is a great rooftop clubhouse and they were adding an eighth floor outdoor garden replacing dormant tennis courts.
    I rode the elevator with you once while I was there. At the time, I didn't know that you ran this site. I just recognized you from the Requiem for Detroit movie. My girlfriend and I loved that movie.

I took a look at the Book Tower website. The units look very nice. I'm currently in NYC, looking to move back to Detroit this fall. I'm going to contact Book Tower although in my case it's probably too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    I rode the elevator with you once while I was there. At the time, I didn't know that you ran this site. I just recognized you from the Requiem for Detroit movie. My girlfriend and I loved that movie.
    Well darn. Small world. I wish you would have introduced yourself.