Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default 4th Crooked Cop Convicted in Towing Scandal that took Down DCC Spivey

I've am of the opinion that there should be an additional "breaking public trust" penalty for such crimes. These criminals are not just stealing, they are creating an intangible crime: destroying confidence in law enforcement and government.

A former Detroit police detective charged with accepting bribes from a towing company pleaded guilty in federal court Friday.

Michael Pacteles, 45, of Southgate, was accused of accepting bribes, including a vehicle and more than $3,000 in cash, from an operator of a towing company in exchange for favors to the operator, according to the U.S. Attorney's office in Detroit.

Federal prosecutors said Pacteles removed stolen vehicles from the Detroit Police Department's database instead of properly recovering those that were in the towing company's possession.

Also charged in the federal government's corruption investigation was City Councilman Andre Spivey, who pleaded guilty in 2021 to accepting $35,900 in bribes from an undercover law enforcement agent and a confidential FBI source in exchange for his political influence on a pending vehicle towing ordinance. Spivey was later sentenced to two years in prison.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...0c0201_134aadc

It takes two to Tango...WHAT TOWING COMPANY[['S)???

sheesh. the hits keep on coming. Sad.

Payoffs for lucrative towing contracts have been the standard for towing companies across the country probably sense the first model A was towed,it’s just how things got done.

The silver lining in this as far as corruption goes,it’s pretty far down the list compared to what has happened in the past,things appear to be getting better.

Another one bites the dust. The copy watching the cops was crooked too. I am simply amazed at for how little these cops were bought, for $15 K in this case, versus the liability they faced--loss of good paying jobs, reputation, felony record, prison time, and tarnishing law enforcement. Sad.

Name:  crooked-cop2.png
Views: 248
Size:  141.7 KB

Full article at Free.com.

We have the best police that money can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Payoffs for lucrative towing contracts have been the standard for towing companies across the country probably sense the first model A was towed,it’s just how things got done.

The silver lining in this as far as corruption goes,it’s pretty far down the list compared to what has happened in the past,things appear to be getting better.
    Rouge towing companies have been running amuck around here terrorizing people for decades. I'm sure it's still happening, it'll never stop.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Rouge towing companies have been running amuck around here terrorizing people for decades. I'm sure it's still happening, it'll never stop.

I can deal with the makeup, but please, do something about the eyeliner!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

I can deal with the makeup, but please, do something about that eyeliner!

I think there is a difference in corruption- A city official says if you want to do something pay me X amount and I will get it done.

Then you have corruptible officials who would never entertain the idea unless they are approached.

So this was a sting set up by the feds and established by them,so we do not know if those charged would have ever been corrupted without that opportunity.

I had an acquaintance that did 10 years on a conspiracy drug charge.

He had never done drugs in his life,had zero customer base to sell them through let alone have the knowledge how to sell them in the first place.

He would stop a a bar and have a beer at the end of the day,he was approached by somebody offering to front him product to sell,he said no over a period of 6 months,the second he caved and said yes,they slapped the cuffs on him.

They worked him for over 6 months and on conspiracy,you actually do not have to do anything,just verbally agree to do it and that is it.

In the 80s 3/4 of the Miami police department and feds included were on the take,from protecting territory and eliminating the competition while supplying products from the raids.

For the most part getting caught did not matter because the judges and prosecutors were also on the take,some states governors were on the take but they got a pass and are still well liked today enough to become a president.

The way towing companies operate and the abuses that occur,happens because of a failure to act on the city’s part,many cities have passed regulations and put a stop to it and have even charged tow trucks drivers with grand theft when they illegally tow a car.

The towing companies are going to do what they do,it’s on the city to keep them in check,this goes way deeper then what you are seeing in this sting.
    Last edited by Richard; April-20-23 at 11:11 AM.