Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default When Did Local News Become Obsessed with the Weather?

It's almost become unbearable for me to watch local news now because the breaking news story seems to be led by an upcoming "winter storm" alert. Now, last Friday's snowfall led to a number of power outages and therefore the reporting of the power outages was a significant lead story for the news. However, prior to the power outages the news kept telling us about this impending snow storm. Maybe it was different for you, depending on where you live, but where I live the resulting snow was more of a "snowfall' than a "snow storm." By Saturday afternoon most of the snow had melted where I live and we were dealing with temperatures in the 40s.

Now, when I look back to "snow storms" when I was a kid, they usually involved snowfalls between 10-30 inches. Now, the local news is reporting a four to six inch snowfall as if it is the storm of the century. What's behind this obsession with the weather? Each night, regardless of the severity of the weather, the weather person comes on within the first two minutes of the news broadcast and then does the wrap up around the 17th to 20th minute into the broadcast. Are local news stations using "doom and gloom" weather predictions to simply get us to watch? I think if you are going to give the weather forecast within the first two minutes on the broadcast, then why stick around to hear the rest of the news?

Honestly, even the world news is starting its newscast with the weather, but at least they report on weather across the country. Anyway, I just thought that in the northern hemisphere we are experiencing the winter season. Aren't snowfalls and the occasional snow storm simply a part of the season? Well, that's my two cents.
    Last edited by royce; March-08-23 at 01:09 PM.

I just thought that in the northern hemisphere we are experiencing the winter season. Aren't snowfalls and the occasional snow storm simply a part of the season? Well, that's my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Bring back a Sonny Elliot clone!

Our news radio station in Toronto, similar to WWJ, always announces continuously how their "storm center" is open to keep you up to date. I picture some receptionist opening a closet.

I can see if it is a life threatening storm but here with incoming hurricanes the way they constantly report it freaks people out and it becomes a mad rush to do something that should have been done 6 months ago.

The only weather reports I remember growing up was the - It is -50 with wind chill any exposed skin is subject to frostbite within X amount of seconds,as we were walking out the door to trudge through 6’ of snow to the bus stop blocks away.

The morning news here the weather is every 15 minutes,not that difficult for them,rain or no rain,hot or blistering hot.
    Last edited by Richard; March-08-23 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    ... Bring back a Sonny Elliot clone!
    Here he is with his detachable Keweenaw peninsula.

Nice thing living here in southern Nevada [[Henderson, NV; look it up!) is that it is either mild or hot. If you don't like hot, move to St. Ignace.

^ you guys do not need a weatherman,woman,person,it ,you need a preacher for that daily prayer for rain.

With all of the snow,next it will be about flooding as it melts,most will call it spring,then comes daily reports of heat waves,most will call that summer.

I kinda miss the 4 seasons.
    Last edited by Richard; March-08-23 at 10:42 PM.

I remember when he used to talk about "Engadingadine" and a couple years ago I finally got to eat lunch at the Engadine Bar. I was actually excited. And then we drove to Copper Harbor and I was waiting to hear the "beep" when we got there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Last Friday in GP we got 2 inches of snow and it was gone off the pavement [[driveways, sidewalks and streets) by Saturday noon.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Last Friday in GP we got 2 inches of snow and it was gone off the pavement [[driveways, sidewalks and streets) by Saturday noon.
    You do realize you were very much the outlier, right?

After one local doomsday forecast, I remember thinking, “It’s January. It’s Michigan. It snows in January in Michigan.” I think they hype every storm as Armageddon for ratings and also because they’ll get criticized if they don’t hype it and it turns out to be Armageddon.
    Last edited by Pat001; March-10-23 at 09:39 AM.

Snowmageddonopalypse.

Perhaps a reason for the over reliance on weather forecasts is that its all local news programmers have left anymore. Most of them have little to no journalistic team anymore, sports have largely moved to 24-hour cable networks and the always on internet, and even weather data is always on demand on an app. The one thing they can do, however, is tell the story of the weather -- which is what they do, mercilessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There was room on that chalkboard to move the whole state down. He had to have deliberately designed it for that joke. He designed it to look like a failed design so he could correct it with the detachable peninsula.

He had the brilliance of a magician.

All media is doing this. They are justifying their existence and writing their own paychecks. The weather will have ZERO effect on what I will do tomorrow. I'll get up, go to work and come home just like any other day. There ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it anyway.

At least the weather reporting gives a break from attorney ads and prescription medication ads.

It's god awful.

While we're at it, why do we need a 'table of contents' at the intro to the news? We get a list of at least half the news stories they will be covering.

Then, why does the anchor/anchors prologue the story before handing it off to a reporter in the field, who basically does the same thing, before playing the video that gives the details? Sometimes one anchor starts the introduction to the story, and the co-anchor finishes the intro before finally switching to the reporter.

6:00 PM "Stories we're covering...Tanker truck fire closes freeway in Metro Detroit!"
    6:06 PM Anchor: "A real mess for some drivers in one Detroit area community this afternoon." Co-anchor: "Yeah, a tanker truck fire on a Metro Detroit freeway caused a big headache today for a lot of drivers. Let's get the story from our reporter on the scene"
    6:07 PM Reporter: ''A tanker truck fire on I-696 caused a big headache today for a lot of drivers. Here's what happened..."
    6:08 PM Recorded video from reporter: "A tanker truck fire on I-696 in Farmington this afternoon caused a big headache for a lot of drivers. Details..."

And then there's always the stupid follow up question from the anchor, like he just thought to ask it, and the reporter just happened to know the answer.

6:09 PM Anchor: "Any word on when the expressway will reopen?'
    6:10 PM Reporter: "I talked to so-and-so and they said it should be open in time for the morning rush hour. Back to you."

And why does nearly every story require a reporter outside? I"ve seen them standing in the dark and rain next to the expressway to report about what city council is up to, or about the problems with mammograms, or how much the lottery jackpot will be.

And why are there commercials advertising for the local news station?

And could we get more news on the news, and less features? Less Help-Me-Hank, less Tasty Tuesdays, less Health Works, less Fitness Fridays, less Your Money stories?

Since La Nina is still in town. This state will receive more snow, more ice and more power outages!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It's god awful.

While we're at it, why do we need a 'table of contents' at the intro to the news? We get a list of at least half the news stories they will be covering.

Then, why does the anchor/anchors prologue the story before handing it off to a reporter in the field, who basically does the same thing, before playing the video that gives the details? Sometimes one anchor starts the introduction to the story, and the co-anchor finishes the intro before finally switching to the reporter.

6:00 PM "Stories we're covering...Tanker truck fire closes freeway in Metro Detroit!"
    6:06 PM Anchor: "A real mess for some drivers in one Detroit area community this afternoon." Co-anchor: "Yeah, a tanker truck fire on a Metro Detroit freeway caused a big headache today for a lot of drivers. Let's get the story from our reporter on the scene"
    6:07 PM Reporter: ''A tanker truck fire on I-696 caused a big headache today for a lot of drivers. Here's what happened..."
    6:08 PM Recorded video from reporter: "A tanker truck fire on I-696 in Farmington this afternoon caused a big headache for a lot of drivers. Details..."

And then there's always the stupid follow up question from the anchor, like he just thought to ask it, and the reporter just happened to know the answer.

6:09 PM Anchor: "Any word on when the expressway will reopen?'
    6:10 PM Reporter: "I talked to so-and-so and they said it should be open in time for the morning rush hour. Back to you."

And why does nearly every story require a reporter outside? I"ve seen them standing in the dark and rain next to the expressway to report about what city council is up to, or about the problems with mammograms, or how much the lottery jackpot will be.

And why are there commercials advertising for the local news station?

And could we get more news on the news, and less features? Less Help-Me-Hank, less Tasty Tuesdays, less Health Works, less Fitness Fridays, less Your Money stories?

Yes, the same repetitive BS also happens with news articles, captions that come up before the article and repeat three times before you get to the body of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    It's almost become unbearable for me to watch local news now because the breaking news story seems to be led by an upcoming "winter storm" alert. Now, last Friday's snowfall led to a number of power outages and therefore the reporting of the power outages was a significant lead story for the news. However, prior to the power outages the news kept telling us about this impending snow storm. Maybe it was different for you, depending on where you live, but where I live the resulting snow was more of a "snowfall' than a "snow storm." By Saturday afternoon most of the snow had melted where I live and we were dealing with temperatures in the 40s.

Now, when I look back to "snow storms" when I was a kid, they usually involved snowfalls between 10-30 inches. Now, the local news is reporting a four to six inch snowfall as if it is the storm of the century. What's behind this obsession with the weather? Each night, regardless of the severity of the weather, the weather person comes on within the first two minutes of the news broadcast and then does the wrap up around the 17th to 20th minute into the broadcast. Are local news stations using "doom and gloom" weather predictions to simply get us to watch? I think if you are going to give the weather forecast within the first two minutes on the broadcast, then why stick around to hear the rest of the news?

Honestly, even the world news is starting its newscast with the weather, but at least they report on weather across the country. Anyway, I just thought that in the northern hemisphere we are experiencing the winter season. Aren't snowfalls and the occasional snow storm simply a part of the season? Well, that's my two cents.
    I've lived in or near Detroit my entire life. I remember some 10 inch plus snowstorms. I remember no plus 20 inch or 30-inch snowfalls.

I think there have been one about or above 20" in my entire 60+ yr lifespan and that was in 1974.
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I've lived in or near Detroit my entire life. I remember some 10 inch plus snowstorms. I remember no plus 20 inch or 30-inch snowfalls.

I took it as hyperbole.

It has only snowed more than 20" once in Detroit's recorded history. But - it happened in April, of all months.

I do not live there but I have this new fangeled thing they call the WWW,it’s pretty informative.

Snow in February ranges from over 19.3 inches in heavy snowfall years to under 5.8 inches in light years.

According to this about once every 10 years it dumps 17 - 19”

historically

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php

I am just surprised nobody had a problem with long posts in this thread,even the ones that complain about them,or maybe not really surprised.

This chart shows in 2000-2001 in December,Detroit had 25” of snowfall for the month.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/dtwsnow2000-2020

18.4in. — The one-day record snowfall for Detroit, Michigan was recorded on December 1st, 1974 as seen in the chart below.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/dtwsnow2000-2020

Flint had over 30”

April 6, 1886 -- 24.5 inches

But they were scooting about with horse n buggy,no need for tire chains.

You can tell it is winter though,people get OCD or obsessed over the weirdest things.

Tamarack, California, holds the record for the most snow in a calendar month with 390 inches [[32.5 feet) in January 1911, according to Burt. That's nearly twice the average snowfall during an entire winter in very snowy Marquette, Michigan, which averages about 204 inches annually.

How would you like to shovel that out of your driveway?

It does seem as though the 70s was a bad winter period,I remember blizzards and snow storms with snow drifts that completely buried cars and piled snowdrifts to the roof peaks,well past 20’ ,not in Detroit though.
    Last edited by Richard; March-09-23 at 10:08 PM.

Speaking of hyperbole, channels 2/4/7 must be going nuts tonight because they scared my district into calling a snow day already.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Speaking of hyperbole, channels 2/4/7 must be going nuts tonight because they scared my district into calling a snow day already.

I hope someone checked to make sure the pumps were on before they ran out the door..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast