Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I quit using Marijuana back in 1989. From what I understand the strains they’re producing now are WAY more potent then what I was smoking back in the 70’s and 80’s. I guess thats great for those who partake. I’m kind of torn regarding its legalization. Half of me thinks it’s fine, give everybody of age anything the want, including cocaine, heroin, speed balls…. Who cares? If you want to kill yourself go right ahead.
    Coming from somebody who used to smoke it, I can’t see where using Marijuana does anybody a world of good. But again, I have nothing against those who use it

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    ... From what I understand the strains they’re producing now are WAY more potent then what I was smoking back in the 70’s and 80’s....
    So I've heard — and I know people were experimenting even then with improving the species using grafting, etc. But Tommy Chong seems to think it's just a myth that the plant became more potent:

Old Weed vs New Weed with Tommy Chong

He says the difference today is that producers are more careful and selective about what they include in the final product and the plant itself is the same as it always was.

Me? I don't know and I'm not going to experiment. I am curious why Chong's opinion differs though. He is considered an expert after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    So I've heard — and I know people were experimenting even then with improving the species using grafting, etc. But Tommy Chong seems to think it's just a myth that the plant became more potent:

Old Weed vs New Weed with Tommy Chong

He says the difference today is that producers are more careful and selective about what they include in the final product and the plant itself is the same as it always was.

Me? I don't know and I'm not going to experiment. I am curious why Chong's opinion differs though. He is considered an expert after all.
    Mr. Chong is full of shit. I know 3 people who were/still are in the marijuana business. I've been in their grow locations, your clothes reek from weed just stepping into those places. The stuff they're growing now ain't nothing like it used to be. From what I understand, one or two hit's off a joint of this modern weed makes you stupid.

From what I understand, one or two hit's off a joint of this modern weed makes you stupid.
    Today's cannabis is certainly not your grandma's ditch weed. One or two hits won't make you stupid but it will certainly get you up in the helicopter. Think of it as less lung abuse for those who have not switched to edibles. The days of smoking a joint are gone. Doing that much certainly could make one stupid.

I quit using Marijuana back in 1989. From what I understand the strains they’re producing now are WAY more potent then what I was smoking back in the 70’s and 80’s. I guess thats great for those who partake. I’m kind of torn regarding its legalization. Half of me thinks it’s fine, give everybody of age anything the want, including cocaine, heroin, speed balls…. Who cares? If you want to kill yourself go right ahead.
    Coming from somebody who used to smoke it, I can’t see where using Marijuana does anybody a world of good. But again, I have nothing against those who use it
    Hard drug use, just like alcohol, does a world of hurt to families, health care resources, etc. The problem is deciding which is worse, the cost of legalizing vs. vainly trying to prohibit it. Vancouver is looking at copying Portland on decriminalizing hard drugs. Both have huge drug users/homeless on the downtown streets. CBC did a report from Portland this week. It's become much cheaper and usage is way up there. Everyone, including social workers, they interviewed said not to do it.