Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Henry Ford Health, Tom Gores team up on massive $2.5 billion development in Detroit

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/health...ospital-campus

Henry Ford Health plans to build a new $1.8 billion hospital in Detroit that will anchor a broad $2.5 billion development vision it is teaming up on with Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores and Michigan State University that includes new residential, commercial and possible hotel space.

The projects mark a major move by Henry Ford to transform itself into a destination for health care and a major expansion of private equity billionaire GoresÂ’ investment in Detroit. If the full vision materializes, the scale of the redevelopment would rival plans for the $1.5 billion District Detroit and Dan GilbertÂ’s downtown projects in the re-shaping of an entire section of the city.
    The existing hospital would continue to operate, but with fewer rooms and the building would likely house all or a portion of HFH employees currently working at One Ford Place.Most clinical care would be moved to the new hospital, which is expected to be completed in 2029 with a groundbreaking in 2024. The HFH and MSU research facility is expected to open in 2027 after a concurrent groundbreaking with the new hospital.
    The project is not expected to add beds to the hospital system, which has 877 beds at its New Center hospital.
    The redevelopment is a long-standing plan held by HFH management, largely developed under former CEO Wright Lassiter. Mark Barnhill, partner at Platinum Equity and leader of GoresÂ’ investments portfolio, told CrainÂ’s Lassiter and Gores created the vision for the new district on the back of a napkin at dinner at the Townsend Hotel in downtown Birmingham.
    Riney said the $2.2 billion health care portion of the project would be funded by capital investment and philanthropic fundraising. Some large donors are prepared to aid in the funding, he said.

Indeed a game changer for New Center and the surrounding area. I pass through here daily and was just wondering aloud this morning what HF was planning to do with all the empty land they had in the area, guess their ears were burning lol.

Having unfortunately visited the HF ER a couple times in the last year as a patient, I can say the new ER department is badly needed. Even better than the neighborhood improvement and ancillary development that's sure to materialize is having a brand new world class healthcare facility right in the heart of the city.

Based on some of the renderings, does this mean that they plan to demolish the HAP Insurance building along Grand Blvd for the new hospital?

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/henry-ford-health-partners-with-detroit-pistons-and-msu-on-2-5b-expansion/

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Based on some of the renderings, does this mean that they plan to demolish the HAP Insurance building along Grand Blvd for the new hospital?
    Yes, the HAP building will be torn down to make way for the new tower.

I spy two major parking structures - prolly wont have any street-level use which is a shame. Holden also spans over the Lodge. And 2 giant surface lots for 1 Ford Pl are being partially 'greened'. Time will tell.

Edit: looks like the research bldg garage has street activation on 3rd ave.
    Last edited by hybridy; February-09-23 at 10:58 AM.

Gores gets criticized by Pistons fans as an absentee owner who doesn't care about the team or the city but I see a guy who has invested heavily in both. Sure he made a couple of bad mistakes that really set the franchise back, first hiring Van Gundy and then, when attendance didn't improve when he moved downtown, deciding a quick fix star, Blake Griffin, was the answer. The full rebuild, not unlike the Tigers and Wings, is taking too long. However he has also done a lot of grass roots charitable work, everything from spending on food banks, playgrounds and courts, including 20 million in Rouge Park, to building the state-of-the art practice facility which is open to the public. Also the new arena used by Wayne State and the G League team. Now this investment with Henry Ford. Pretty impressive stuff.
    Last edited by 401don; February-09-23 at 01:08 PM.

The neighborhood design looks like a step in a great direction for the area, and it makes me want to see the new Amtrak hub be planned more ambitiously, like adding the element of local line sharing that rail line. This could be the central hub of a line that connects neighborhoods from Dearborn to Hamtramck through this burgeoning city center. Couple that with more residential density and it would be a pretty huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

I spy two major parking structures - prolly wont have any street-level use which is a shame. Holden also spans over the Lodge. And 2 giant surface lots for 1 Ford Pl are being partially 'greened'. Time will tell.

Edit: looks like the research bldg garage has street activation on 3rd ave.
    I hadn't seen that rendering.it shows that Lincoln between the Blvd and Holden will totally be removed and Trumbull re-routed to create a 3 way intersection at Baltimore.

It's strange, but I certainly won't be complaining if they build these new streets the same way they did the others with dedicated bike lanes and plenty of landscaping.

I wouldn’t put much stock in any of these renders other than understanding the location of each building. It’s a nice plan but much like when you see the plans for District Detroit it’s hard not to still be in awe with how much available land there is after a couple of billion is spent.

Lee Plaza isn’t that far down the boulevard……just saying….

Hope springs eternal.

More details and images about the HFH expansion, including the $1.8 billion hospital tower at 1 million square feet...

https://detroit.urbanize.city/post/2...M9xY8P7bV81GSE
    Last edited by Gistok; February-13-23 at 01:40 AM.

Here's a presentation given to the City Planning Commission. Nothing super new, but there's some more renderings and what not.

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...esentation.pdf

Name:  Screenshot 2023-06-16 124452.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-06-16 124505.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  93.9 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-06-16 124516.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  85.0 KB

While we're at it, can we pay HFHS to repave all the roads in the city like they did Milwaukee and Lincoln? I'm in LOVE with the layout of those streets.

I find the proposed design to be disjointed. Why not put the Phase 1 parking south/behind the new hospital tower instead of behind the Cancer Pavillion parking structure? And on the side by the Pistons complex, I can not make out what the building between the Lodge and Third Street is going to be. Is that the combo HFH and MSU building? And if they are going to convert the HFH office building on One Ford Place to apartments, they couldn't build a parking structure or underground parking for the residents? Also, in one rendering, there's a park in front of the Pistons complex and in another rendering it says TBD. Is that to mean "To Be Determined" or does that mean something else? Finally, where is all the residential HFH said they would build when they cleared out all of the area south of the current hospital? Well, I guess most is going to be at the old HFH office building and the new building directly north of it? So, all of those young doctors and nurses will have to walk several blocks and over a freeway to get to work? I mean walking is healthy, right?
    Last edited by royce; June-17-23 at 05:00 AM.

That first rendering, what's with all the green space between the new hospital tower and the Lodge service drive? Unless they're saving it for some future use that's not listed here, it just seems like a huge waste of space in an urban setting.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    That first rendering, what's with all the green space between the new hospital tower and the Lodge service drive? Unless they're saving it for some future use that's not listed here, it just seems like a huge waste of space in an urban setting.
    It's green and not a parking lot lol. Let's not get greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post

It means you're going to have to shuffle through some 500 ft of tree-lined alleys. Ugh!

Get yourself a gigantic milkshake to summon up the courage…

Setbacks from the street in urban environments reduces walkability, and New Center is a fairly walkable area. Again, hopefully that space is used more efficiently in a future development.

Gilbert and Bedrock joining in on the HFHS expansion!

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...t/70775819007/

Here's some screenshots from the CBO meeting last week, they give a pretty good visual of what's planned.
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125612.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  78.3 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125642.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  78.0 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125704.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  93.1 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125732.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  87.9 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125752.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  84.5 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125813.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  92.9 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125833.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  87.3 KBName:  Screenshot 2023-10-30 125938.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  81.6 KB

OK... I'm confused... only 162 new permanent jobs?

Are they moving the entire hospital to the new building? Because 1.2 million sq. ft. of space holds a lot of people...

Thanks Jon Wylie!

Are they moving the entire hospital to the new building? Because 1.2 million sq. ft. in a 21 story building... that space holds a lot of people...

I know a big part of the new building is going to be the ER, which is just moving from across the street. If you've been to the ER there recently it's a scary place. Beds lining the hallway, extreme overcrowding, it's bad.

Seems like the big focus will be giving patients the ample space and privacy they don't have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Are they moving the entire hospital to the new building? Because 1.2 million sq. ft. of space holds a lot of people...
    There are jobs listed for each part of the development. Sorry, I see you're just referring to the hospital expansion. It sounds like with the 16,000 current jobs listed most of it is moving.
    Last edited by 401don; October-30-23 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast