Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/educat...detroit-center

Looks like the final design has been approved. Good to see there is traction on this.

Yes... but unfortunately it has all the charm of a 1950s Gas Station road sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes... but unfortunately it has all the charm of a 1950s Gas Station road sign...
    Did anyone else notice the background skyline in the second rendering? If only

Also, the planned mixed-use building on the site of Hockeytown Cafe is included as a full rendering whereas the planned residential building on the same block at the UMIC is shown in scale only. And the planned office building and residential building on the parking lots in front of Comerica Park are not included either. I am not shocked by any of this, just wanted to share my observations out of grief and annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Did anyone else notice the background skyline in the second rendering? If only

Also, the planned mixed-use building on the site of Hockeytown Cafe is included as a full rendering whereas the planned residential building on the same block at the UMIC is shown in scale only. And the planned office building and residential building on the parking lots in front of Comerica Park are not included either. I am not shocked by any of this, just wanted to share my observations out of grief and annoyance.
    Clearly a rendering of District Detroit in 3024 haha.

I think what you may be seeing is the buildings that are being designed specifically by KPF. Stylistically the office building on Woodward, the arena hotel and the UMIC all fit the firms portfolio. I think the apartment buildings and the design of the office in front of Comerica were a notch or two down from the quality they usually produce.

I don't have access to Crain's to see the entire design and layout, but from the image that they first show, is that an image of the building from across Grand River and the DTE property?

Does anyone know the current timeframe for the incubator space and apartment building to begin construction? Nice to see this project finaaaaaaaaally get off the ground.

FYI - sounds like the HFH/MSU med building in New Center is tracking for a mid-June groundbreaking...

KPF finally has a page for this on their projects tab. I looked yesterday AM and I didn't see one. They've got full HD renderings and a short cinematic video with more angles:

https://www.kpf.com/project/universi...for-innovation

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    KPF finally has a page for this on their projects tab. I looked yesterday AM and I didn't see one. They've got full HD renderings and a short cinematic video with more angles:

https://www.kpf.com/project/universi...for-innovation
    Thanks for that info and link. I think this project will be an iconic addition to downtown.

Ilitch should just donate the rest of his parking lots to organizations and developers who will actually build on them. Activity has been non-stop on this site since it was handed over to U of M.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Ilitch should just donate the rest of his parking lots to organizations and developers who will actually build on them. Activity has been non-stop on this site since it was handed over to U of M.
    To be fair I would say it has been non-stop since the groundbreaking which was done right before they would have lost the 100 million the state was committing to the project. I think they still were dragging their feet even on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    To be fair I would say it has been non-stop since the groundbreaking which was done right before they would have lost the 100 million the state was committing to the project. I think they still were dragging their feet even on this project.
    "Dragging their feet"... that should be on their family coat of arms...

As we all know... they kept dragging their feet on so many projects... and the city final "grew a pair"... with the Eddystone procrastinations. Why do they work at a faster speed when it comes to new build, than it does for restorations?

And even then, they got held up by "pizza glass" for their facade to the new Little Caesar HQ next door to the Fox... and that project even took an extra 2 years.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-29-24 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't hate it lol I find it hard to really like anything now, it's all glass curtain crap. Give me a Guardian or Penobscot building over Hudson's tower any day.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I don't hate it lol I find it hard to really like anything now, it's all glass curtain crap. Give me a Guardian or Penobscot building over Hudson's tower any day.

Bulimia, I also feel the same about glass, glass, glass walls. I still think the WWI tank look of this building is a sort of homage to Detroit's "Arsenal of Democracy" rep. That’s just me, but I like it.

But, obviously, none of the more sculptural contemporary bldgs compare to the classic skyscrapers of Detroit.
    Last edited by canuck; April-02-24 at 12:00 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3