Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Detroit announces massive overhaul of its car towing system

Detroit announces massive overhaul of its car towing system
    Detroit announced a massive overhaul of its car towing system after a previous system known for its corruption, with several city officials and police officers convicted of crimes. Mayor Mike Duggan and Detroit police Chief James White announced the changes during Tuesday’s {Dec. 13} news conference.

Total slap in the face to be charged hundreds of dollars to get your car back after it's stolen. I went through that a few years back now, and the guy at the yard would only allow us to pay in cash so who knows how much he pocketed personally.

This is a move in the right direction.

Toad Away

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Total slap in the face to be charged hundreds of dollars to get your car back after it's stolen. I went through that a few years back now, and the guy at the yard would only allow us to pay in cash so who knows how much he pocketed personally.

This is a move in the right direction.
    My car was stolen last week and found just a few blocks away. The DPD officer that met me at the scene where we found it straight up told me "use your insurance or beg/borrow/steal to tow it straight to the repair shop otherwise we're going to tow it and they are going to rip you off on the cost just to get it out."

I already knew not to use the DPD tow, but to hear it straight from the officer's mouth just kind of made me laugh!

If I’m lucky, they will add another season of
    "Parking Wars" where the Detroit city pound staffers are yelled at for
    all the good reasons.

Makes one wonder. Who is worse? The auto thieves of the tow companies.

Oh yes! This has been going on for decades. A company called Boulevard Towing comes to mind. Ripping people off day and night. Profiting from forfeited cars.

We pay/ keep double auto towing service on our cars. The small monthly payment is nothing when you need that $150+ tow. The rip-off factor of these 'tow-lots' joints needed to end!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    My car was stolen last week and found just a few blocks away. The DPD officer that met me at the scene where we found it straight up told me "use your insurance or beg/borrow/steal to tow it straight to the repair shop otherwise we're going to tow it and they are going to rip you off on the cost just to get it out."...
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-16-22 at 03:56 PM.

Here is Steve Lehto's take, a local lawyer specializing in vehicle/lemon law. He's my go-to for general legal analysis [[taught trial practice at U of D for a few years even.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Makes one wonder. Who is worse? The auto thieves of the tow companies.
    I would say none of the above mentioned - The City of Detroit has allowed the rouge towing companies to run rampant for decades.