Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default North End project to replace blighted homes with apartments

North End project to replace blighted homes with apartments gets help from state

The project, led by Charles Dickerson, seeks to build a three-story apartment building with 29 units and a small office space in the North End neighborhood, a few blocks east of Woodward Avenue. Called The Beauton, the project would be a $7.1 million investment.

The development would be "transformational" for the North End, said Nevan Shokar, with the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. He said the city is "very excited" about the project.

Dickerson, a graduate of the Capital Impact Partners Equitable Development Initiative, will be working on his first infill project, with plans to do more in the future, according to an MSF memo regarding the possible grant. The program seeks to support developers of color in real estate careers by training people on program design and project financing.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...gic-fund-grant

I didn't know where the North End neighborhood was!

Name:  north end.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  138.4 KB

This neighborhood seems to be seeing a decent amount of projects. Certainly a sign of Detroit’s rebound.

This project is at Beaubien and Horton - hence “The Beauton.”
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-14-22 at 02:27 PM.

I hate to say it, but this new build looks like blight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I hate to say it, but this new build looks like blight.
    Pretty much all of them look like that these days - a box, with or without a balcony. Have you seen Brush Park lately?
    They are building thousands of these in the suburbs where I live, 20 miles outside Toronto, and they sell for 900k and up.

North End and Piety Hill are both seeing a great deal of "renovate and flip" homes hit the market, and for good reason. Sandwiched between New Center and Boston Edison/ Arden Park it's prime for redevelopment.

Every city owned lot in these areas should be for sale with the stipulation construction begins within a year on a new home or development. Infill, infill, infill.