Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This is some idea that's Horace Sheffield came up with. He probably didn't take into consideration that the afterwork crowd are not much in existence any longer being that many work remotely. He is probably focusing on drawing people from throughout the city to come down and support the club. I don't see anything wrong with drawing people living without the downtown area to support retail and venues. I don't have confidence in this venue . As I had said earlier there are few restaurants and businesses that are given grants whose owners never ram businesses before but were probably given favor to. These businesses occupy huge storefronts that could had been offered to retail or business that deliver better quality if products or services. I am not against any entrepreneurs getting a grant or a start. I believe each should start out small then grow into a better business delivering better quality of goods and services. Hudson's started with a much smaller footprint but as time and demands increased Hudson's footprint became larger. Also, Hudson's was a local retailer
    Literally EVERY "name" restaurant/club/hotel is founded with an investment group and a "famous person" attached to it. Very soon after establishement, the "famous person" whose stake is often less than 1%, divests him or herself from the business. Example: Jay-Z's stake in the Brooklyn Nets. You can't be ignorant to this. It repeats itself all over this country. This is just the latest and most local one.

All that said, that space is HUGE. Comedy clubs are tough as it is. Filling that space will be a challenge for anything, comedy or otherwise.
    Last edited by djtomt; November-19-22 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Literally EVERY "name" restaurant/club/hotel is founded with an investment group and a "famous person" attached to it. Very soon after establishement, the "famous person" whose stake is often less than 1%, divests him or herself from the business. Example: Jay-Z's stake in the Brooklyn Nets. You can't be ignorant to this. It repeats itself all over this country. This is just the latest and most local one.

All that said, that space is HUGE. Comedy clubs are tough as it is. Filling that space will be a challenge for anything, comedy or otherwise.
    Jay Zs buying into the Nets is a totally different scenario. He bought into a percentage of an already existing franchise that was already supported by fans. These fans will support the Nets regardless. Here is a club where a comedian is allowing his name to be use probably for a draw while his partner gets probably most of the money. Remember Tony Island owned by a rapper whose business the council president supported? The restaurant closed within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    If they're smart they'll set up a small stage on the one side of the space where the dining room was, and keep the games and bowling on the other side of the space. It'll work much better as a mixed bar/club space than just a comedy club. The few times I went there it was pretty busy, especially on the games side.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    If they're smart they'll set up a small stage on the one side of the space where the dining room was, and keep the games and bowling on the other side of the space. It'll work much better as a mixed bar/club space than just a comedy club. The few times I went there it was pretty busy, especially on the games side.
    Agree on this, I was really hoping someone would reopen the space as it was just with a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Dint know if Sheffield has business advisors that will suggest that great idea to him. His concept of useful space may nit be as clever as the owners of Punchbowl concept of useful spaces. I was surprised that Punchbowl didn't try to hold on during the pandemic. They were doing so good before it.