Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Post mortem for the detroit united artists

So a post mortem for the United Artists Detroit if you will...
    Lets go back to 1975...thanks to AAA Michigan the corporate entity that owned the whole building, theatre and all contents and occupied the entire office building prior to 1975. They wanted the place unusable and would have preferred the entire building and theatre demolished but didn't want to pay for it. They had already decided to move to Dearborn, and extracted all the cash and value out of the building. As John Lauter previously stated: 'I thought long about this. Everything of value left the theatre at a time when it was still good and usable. It would have turned to moist moldy garbage if left in place."
    In addition the design prohibited any viable use on stage more than movie screen depth due to the turn of Clifford Street to the north at Middle St. The theater WAS NEVER used for any stage presentations except for front of curtain bows. John Lauter and I saw the building intact when the organ was removed and helped on that project and again when the DSO recorded in the building. Starting in 1979, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra used the as a recording studio until 1983, when they said they couldn't take the lack of heat, rain falling through the ceiling or lack of electricity in the building. Electrical work lights strung through out and porta potties and bottled water equated to creature comforts.
    ***NOTE***This was LONG BEFORE Ilitch purchased the building and because the prior interests tied the title up in court battle after court battle it took years for the clear title to be awarded...I am not a blanket apologist for Olympia Inc but I wouldn't have put a cent into the building without a clear title.***REMEMBER Downtown and Detroit were very different between 1975 and 2010 . I am amazed the office building is still going to be converted to apartments and at least the Bagley theatre lobby and rotunda room apparently will be saved as they are under the east end office structure.
    I appreciate the burning desire for preservation...I really do. But most of the negative comments about this demolition are from people that are not in Detroit, or far to young to have experienced actually walking in to one of these theaters when they were operational prior to closing. Rejoice in what has been saved and remember folks like Chuck Forbes, Marion and Mile Ilitch and Dr. David DiChiera who created the theater district by their efforts.

Name:  ua exterior.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  14.5 KBName:  ua detroit sketch.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  14.5 KBName:  ua detroit rotunda.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  12.0 KBName:  ua detroit damage.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  10.4 KBName:  ua exterior.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  14.5 KBName:  ua detroit sketch.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  14.5 KBName:  ua detroit rotunda.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  12.0 KBName:  ua detroit damage.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  10.4 KB
    Last edited by detroitbob; October-04-22 at 09:37 PM.