Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The Freep version

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...y/69520262007/

On Tuesday, CEO Mary Barra sent out a note to the salaried workforce offering an apology of sorts for the timing of putting out a new policy late in the day Friday saying that employees would have to return to working in the office three days a week.

She stepped into a minefield when she started to view 35,000 employees as individuals,strong leadership would have just said ,pandemic is over with it is now time to return to the office,do not wish to? You last check will be sent to your home office.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    She stepped into a minefield when she started to view 35,000 employees as individuals,strong leadership would have just said ,pandemic is over with it is now time to return to the office,do not wish to? You last check will be sent to your home office.
    When you're frequently whining about your struggle to attract/retain talent in the media [[whether it's because of your toxic culture or because your offices are in undesirable locations), treating your talent "as individuals" should be a priority.

GM isn't Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    When you're frequently whining about your struggle to attract/retain talent in the media [[whether it's because of your toxic culture or because your offices are in undesirable locations), treating your talent "as individuals" should be a priority.

GM isn't Apple.
    It’s still a corporation that employs a large amount of people,there is no way they will ever be able to cater to the individual,you cannot think of 35,000 ways to appease everybody.

WFH may work for a smaller company but my experience recently when the city was WFH during the pandemic it was a shitstorm,nobody could lean over the desk and consult with somebody else and give you an answer,which required multiple call backs and screwed with my level of production,which in turn screwed with my customers level of production,which in turn screwed with their customers.

Its not about an individual sitting at home in their underwear at the computer it’s everything else that comes into play down the line.

We are individuals but when we enter the work force we become a part of the collective,in order for that to work there has to be rules across the board that apply to all and not single out a few.

If that is the case,a nudist should have the right to go to work necked as an individual,but they cannot because company policy says you have to be dressed.

That is the biggest issue today,the government is going on and talking about people as individuals,in the workplace,in schools,in the military and telling people to stand up as an individual and it is creating chaos in every institution.

It not that hard because we live in the land of opportunity,if you want to dictate the rules in the workplace then create your own business and workplace,outside of that if you are working for somebody you are subject to their rules and regulations.

I hired a guy the other day,$20 per hour,all he had to do was pull miles of cat5 wire,telephone wire etc from the rafters of an old bank that I am exposing the ceiling in for the industrial look.

He was making $10 before through the labor pool and had to ride his scooter across town to dig ditches or what ever other shit job they could come up with.

He was 54 years old living at home with his mother,the whole time he was working he was trying to tell me how to run my business more efficiently,the kicker was,I had to leave for 2 hours to go to a doctors appointment,he wanted me to take him all the way across town and drop him off and then pick him back up to complete the day after the appointment.

I asked him,why ?

He says because he does not want to sit there while I am gone,I told him you are making $20 an hour to sit there in the A/C,take a nap if you want.

He was not having it,being the nice guy that I am,I allowed him to sit inside the car on the ride back verses the trunk where I would have preferred to put him.

The first day he made $100 for less then 5 hours work,the second $50 for about 2 hours work I could have used him for at least the next 60 days but as an employee he did not want to be put out and I was supposed to adjust my business to suit him.

Moral of that story is as a business owner,you have to be an ass when it comes to employees,you have to set hard and fast rules and you cannot appease them all as individuals,because chaos follows.

Even with the restaurants I am an ass when it comes to employees,if they had their way they would be in the cell phone all day and ingoring customers,who are the ones that pay their salary.

So my company policy is,if I see you on the cell phone during working hours and it is not a family emergency,go home where you can spend all the time you want in your phone.

At the end of the day GM is no different,start allowing the crazies to run the asylum and and your bottom line will be effected.

As the business it is on you to provide the structure and rules that have to be followed,GM does not have a fear of losing talent they have a world wide base to draw from.

They are not building cars in India anymore,they are but not for the market there,it is export only,if they can design and build a cobalt there and ship it to another county,the same designers can design a F150 and have it built at a plant anywhere in the world at 1/4 of the labor costs.

In case one has not noticed all the manufacturers are setting up shop to the tune of billions in the southern states as they convert over to EVs,some times people are a little bit more hungry and a little less demanding they are the ones that will have the jobs when the dust settles.
    Last edited by Richard; September-29-22 at 08:56 PM.

I did WFH 100 percent for 14 months. It was OK at first but it got lonely and depressing.

Yes. Socialization was missed and where that was bad I'd long learned how to bypass the negatives. WFH got old - though I was/ am very thankful to have had part of my work converted to such and my use of online and virtual technology was greatly increased. Not all were so blessed.

I also missed getting dressed for work and wearing my favorite ensembles...... Although my dry-cleaning bill was near zero. Several dry-cleaners went out of business in the tri-county area owing to WFH!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    I did WFH 100 percent for 14 months. It was OK at first but it got lonely and depressing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-30-22 at 08:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3