Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I disagree. Depends on the care and situation. I had a surgery years ago based on techniques co-developed in Mexico. Went great. Then there are problems that can occur. IMO, the US remains top-notch in trauma care [putting you back together after a car accident for example].

It can even be argued that we lead in Trauma due to our culture which is research motivated re. that form of care, etc. Other countries not as much in some cases. Especially poorer nations.

Additionally, health care for the middle-class, though expensive is still accessible as we yet have a middle-class [last I checked] demanding and paying [via their premiums] for such offered. Looking at some countries we have medicine 'practiced' from the extremes of the haves vs. have nots - with very little in between. I have family in and from the Caribbeans and they kiss-the-ground of US re. our health care as too often unless you're very well off financially care is unapologetically bad, if even available.

I had a friend seriously injured in Italy, requiring highly skilled trauma care for a back injury. He was basically deposited at a local hospital engaged in that case, medieval options that his doctor locally per a phone call discouraged. Though in severe pain [and barey mobile] he got on the first plane heading home. Once arriving doctors confirmed that the procedures offered would have rendered him in far worse shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Healthcare in the states is garbage. Compares horribly to any public healthcare system in the developed countries of the world.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-15-22 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Facts like your father being 75 and being in perfect health therefore it is just out of shape people that have issues? Facts like the "vast VAST" majority of Type 2 diabetics not having any self control? Facts like that? Apparently being a jackass making wild assumptions about huge swaths of the population is now a "fact."
    Yes, in order to get type 2 diabetes you must glutton yourself, in order to glutton yourself you lack self control and any excuse that people have used is bullshit. Try thinking for once. Again I’m sorry your feelings are so easily hurt

^ Um, you can be thin and have diabetes. I've known some in that category. Including gestational diabetes some pregnant women [of varying weights] experience that usually abates after delivery of child.

However being overweight or obese, and diet does increase ones risks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-15-22 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Um, you can be thin and have diabetes. I've known some in that category. Including gestational diabetes some pregnant women [of varying weights] experience that usually abates after delivery of child.

However being overweight or obese, and diet does increase ones risks.
    90% if type 2 diabetes is linked to obesity.

^ Well I have a genetic disposition to diabetes per fam on both sides, so I am watching my weight/ exercise as I can -- thus my absence here lately.

My main issues is my tendency to all but inhale sweet drinks. LOL! Not a big pop drinker or candy eater but sugar consumption is also a problem on so many health levels.

I cannot give up my rice [starch converts to sugar], though brown is preferred and smaller portions.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-15-22 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Yes, in order to get type 2 diabetes you must glutton yourself, in order to glutton yourself you lack self control and any excuse that people have used is bullshit. Try thinking for once. Again I’m sorry your feelings are so easily hurt
    Oh just all gluttons eh. Must not have seen the links between diabetes and poverty. People who have little to no healthy food options and live in food desserts, but hey, they're just fat and lazy. And before you question the "facts" all info regarding that is from the American Diabetes Association. Almost as trusted as daddy I suppose when it comes to health information. Daddy must not have taught you empathy or the definition of what a "fact" is.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Oh just all gluttons eh. Must not have seen the links between diabetes and poverty. People who have little to no healthy food options and live in food desserts, but hey, they're just fat and lazy. And before you question the "facts" all info regarding that is from the American Diabetes Association. Almost as trusted as daddy I suppose when it comes to health information. Daddy must not have taught you empathy or the definition of what a "fact" is.
    That’s because the poor are in food stamps and buy over processed foods even though healthy whole foods are cheaper. And most people who live in food deserts live in extremely rural areas and are a small minority. Since the advent of deliverable foods via Amazon there’s no excuse to eat shit. Unless you’re a glutton. Southen you need to think my good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret's boy View Post
    This story is more for anyone planning to visit Ontario from Michigan. Canadian, not just Ontario, health care is crisis, with nurses fleeing hospitals in Windsor, London and Toronto for nursing jobs in Michigan, Ohio and New York. I would love to hear from the American forum on how health care in Michigan compares to Ontario and how we can fix it .VITAL SIGNS OF TROUBLE: Many Ontario nurses fleeing for U.S. jobs | Toronto Sun
    As one might expect from any Sun Media publication, this is over-wrought drivel.

To be clear, there are problems in Canadian Healthcare, as there have been for many years.

Just as there are in U.S. healthcare and healthcare in pretty much every other jurisdiction.

Some are a bit better on the whole, some a bit worse; most are similar but with slightly different areas of excellence and failure.

To be sure, nursing shortages and doctors shortages have been more acute as of late in Ontario and some other healthcare systems in Canada; this is also not unique to our province/country.

That doesn't make it ok; it requires attention and investment with some haste.

But The Sun manages [[as per its norm) to take a real problem and exaggerate it with hyperbole and make assertions for which no evidence except 3 anecdotes are provided.

Notwithstanding that, let's look at two quotes from the article:

First:

Right, so we don't have a number, at all in this story, nor do we have last year's number or 10 years ago number with which to compare it.

Second:

So here, we find not that nurses are fleeing due to lack of work, grossly low pay, or systemic failure, but because they can get a raise, a one-time check for $15,000USD and a lighter work load.

The Sun, as usual undermines its own arguments, one doesn't have to do much work on that front.

This article from CTV indicates a different problem, that Ontario has 26,000 qualified nurses who are currently not permitted to nurse [[international credentials not yet recognized)

Of those, 14000 are RNs.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/major-...ines-1.6015229

Yes, and no. Healthy foods are not always cheaper.

Brown rice, especially organic is higher than white standard shelf fair. Fresh fish is far higher than heavily-breaded, freezer-processed boxed fish. White bread is less than sprouted, or whole multi-grain breads. Gluten free is expensive, and the low salt, low sugar alternatives are much higher too.

Lean red meats certainly went up and that's not ending anytime soon!

Juice really gets me re. cost. I often make my own low-sugared ice teas to counter that. For example, non high fructose 100% juice can be 'triple' the cost of commercial drinks. If you go organic add more. We have to shop around to get the better foods [and Whole Foods is not top on our list and we're not poor]. I also buy foods in bulk [scoop-in-the-bin] and glass-jar store my grains/ dry goods which is cheaper than pre-prepackaged.

Yes, diets are horrid but alot of that speaks to the economics of the poor and the wheel-heeled consuming their 'expensive' hidden calorie foods as well as the obviously cheaper fare. Many people eating out often; over-rich gourmet. In addition to crap fast foods. Cooking helps control what you eat and content. The one benefit of the lock-downs is that I cooked more.

I was tempted a few times for the long fast-food drive thrus. Hah!

That’s because the poor are in food stamps and buy over processed foods even though healthy whole foods are cheaper. And most people who live in food deserts live in extremely rural areas and are a small minority. Since the advent of deliverable foods via Amazon there’s no excuse to eat shit. Unless you’re a glutton. Southen you need to think my good man.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-15-22 at 03:50 PM.

^ Yes, and no. Brown rice, especially organic is higher than white standard shelf fair. Fresh fish is far higher than heavily-breaded, freezer-processed boxed fish. White bread is less than sprouted, or multi-grain breads. Gluten free is higher and the low salt, low sugar items charge higher often.

Lean red meats certainly went up and that's not ending anytime soon!

Juice really get me in re. to cost. I often make my own low-sugared ice teas to counter that. For example non-high fructose juices can be triple the cost of commercial drinks. If you go organic add more costs. We have to shop around to get the better foods [and Whole Foods is not top on our list and we're not poor]. I also buy in bulk [scoop in the bin] and glass-jar store my grains/ dry goods that are cheaper if you buy them not pre-prepacked.

Yes, diets are horrid but alot of that speaks to lifestyles of the poor and the wheel-heeled consuming 'expensive' hidden calorie foods as well as the obviously cheaper fare. Many people do alot of eating out; over-rich gourmet in addition to crap fast foods. Cooking helps control what you eat and the content. The one benefit of the lock-downs is that I cooked more.

I was tempted a few times to get in the drive thrus of the fast-food joints. Hah!
    Oh I’m not even talking about that. I’m talking about how many peoples entire diet consists of fast food, cereal, frozen box lunches and soda.

^ Yes. Some of that IS tied to pricing of better foods. Management of costs is factor to and education - and SAYING 'no' to some of the junk offered at the stores and the fancy gourmet dining events.

^ Yes. Some of that IS tied to pricing of better foods. Management of costs is factor to and education - and SAYING 'no' to some of the junk offered at the stores and the fancy gourmet dining events.
    i think we can all agree that there’s no reason[[or excuse)to weigh 300 at 5’11

I'm not that size but there are many reasons why some are. I've known people with maladies that required them to take steroids and bloomed up in weight immensely.

And where do these holier than thou discriminations end? Is there "no reason [or excuse]" why everybody should not work out every day, eat low or no fat foods, not smoke or drink, avoid sugar and carbs, and on and on--all of which I happen to do.

Let's not forget that many people have mental and psychological challenges which lead to diseases such as obesity and addiction, not to mention lack of education and other reasons for poor choices. And I won't begin on the lack of psychological care in our health care system.

There are always going to be better or worse among us but we need to take care of all our family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm not that size but there are many reasons why some are. I've known people with maladies that required them to take steroids and bloomed up in weight immensely.

And where do these holier than thou discriminations end? Is there "no reason [or excuse]" why everybody should not work out every day, eat low or no fat foods, not smoke or drink, avoid sugar and carbs, and on and on--all of which I happen to do.

Let's not forget that many people have mental and psychological challenges which lead to diseases such as obesity and addiction, not to mention lack of education and other reasons for poor choices. And I won't begin on the lack of psychological care in our health care system.

There are always going to be better or worse among us but we need to take care of all our family.

What an incredible group of inaccurate, selfish and frankly stupid set of excuses. Honestly you should be ashamed at what you just wrote it would take a page to get through every incorrect thing you just said. Jesus Christ

I am not sure,when a friend of mine first started coming to the states from England his comment was there was an over abundance of overweight people.

Now it does not matter what country in the world one is in,there is a majority that are overweight,even countries where they eat fresh foods every day that contain no extra DNA,I think the reason there is so many overweight people in the world,is because they spend billions every year trying to lose it.

Billions just in excise equipment alone that is purchased then 3 weeks later it becomes a clothes rack.

I am 62 5.9 and weigh between 170 and 175 and have ever sense I was in high school,no change,no stem fast diet and can eat what ever I want when ever I want and never gain weight,why is that and how come they cannot take somebody like me and takk look s samples and figure it out,because if nobody is overweight there is no money in it.

I think there is a lot more to it then in the food or habits one eats,eating habits may have something to do with one’s overall health,but when you look at it world wide,it actually seems to have little to do with anything.

I do not drink soda/pop but I drink lots of coffee with sugar so I do not even see the correlation between soda and being overweight.

They say it is bad on your organs being overweight,but how do your organs know the difference,how do we not know they were actually designed for somebody to be 5’ 300 lbs?

If you think about it,nobody actually knew they were overweight until they invented the scale,I guess they just figured everybody was different and unique in their own way,until somebody became educated and saw a way to make money by telling people they were overweight and they had the cure.

It does not matter what country you go to there has been a nursing shortage for the last 50 years.

The distinction between healthcare systems in the countries and the same difference in the states with the city owned hospitals,poorly funded receives poor results.

NHS in the UK and every other country that has socialized medicine,you cannot tax the population enough to pay for it all and they are all the same,long wait times,number of hospitals per sq mile is minimal and even before COVID in the UK if you requested an ambulance it was 30 minutes to your house and by the time you got to the hospital it was another 30 minute wait in the parking lot before you could get inside.

It took the ambulance less then 6 minutes to get to my house and less then 10 to get to the hospital,and they had a choice of 4 within that same time frame.

My friend in the UK,his wife has leukemia,unless you are a trauma patient with a dire emergency,she has to book an appointment 6 months out if she is feeling bad.

The delay in care is the same thing we saw during Covid where woman’s breast cancer increased dramatically because they could not get in,so even though it is called free healthcare,by the time you get it,you are worse off.

Its hard to find good help - That saying has been around my whole adult life and I am sure that it was around long before me,all of these labor shortages have been around a long time,not sure why all of the sudden everybody is acting like sleeping beauty and just waking up and discovering all of this stuff,when it has been there all along.

A large part of Cubas GDP comes from their doctor rental business,they train some of the best doctors in South America,then they rent those doctors out to other countries because along with the long term nursing shortage there has always been a long term doctor shortage.
    Last edited by Richard; August-15-22 at 06:53 PM.

Yep! I concur. These factors are part of the issue.

...Let's not forget that many people have mental and psychological challenges which lead to diseases such as obesity and addiction, not to mention lack of education and other reasons for poor choices. And I won't begin on the lack of psychological care in our healthcare system.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-22 at 09:57 AM.

What an incredible group of inaccurate, selfish and frankly stupid set of excuses. Honestly you should be ashamed at what you just wrote it would take a page to get through every incorrect thing you just said. Jesus Christ
    To be unaware that one is unaware is not the same as being aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    To be unaware that one is unaware is not the same as being aware.
    People stare when you have no hair and walk around in just underwear.

Type 2 and obesity are coincidental.

The only real cause if it [[so far as we can tell) is HFCS. The rise from obscurity to mainstream of Type2 mirrors the rise in HFCS use. Your body cannot regulate the intake of HFCS like it can with sugar, so your blood sugar wildly swings up and down, completely out of control.

Price fixing of sugar along with massive welfare subsidies to corporate farmers for corn have produced this odd scenario. [[Mostly a result of Iowa having had the earliest presidential primary?).

Of course it happens that most obese people also guzzle a few liters of pop a day, which masks the likely cause/s.

There are supplements that can 1/2 cure Type 2, but your doctors aren't allowed to speak of them. For example, taking 3-4 capsules of SweetEze a day will reduce blood sugar numbers from 300 to 120 while simultaneously reducing one's need for supplemental insulin by half. I've witnessed this in all 5 of the Type 2 diabetics I have known in the last 10 years.

Diet makes a huge difference also. One can go insulin free with the right diet, but that's a tough ask. Laying off the sugars and starches in the evening goes a long way though, and is easy enough to do.
    https://www.amazon.com/Slender-Sweet...0649629&sr=8-3

It's insane how the amount of the FCA-Chrysler managerial staff are almost 40% being Ontario residents... and they can't drive at all.

Yes. Indeed you can be a thin, yet high HFCS consuming and end up type 2. It's crazy that the cheap-sweet high fructose corn syrup is found in tons of items we consume. Even cough syrup! I'm constantly reading labels to avoid it. If I have it will be from the rare indulgence of a small bottle of pop [or soda]. I'm not drinking juice that contains HFCS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Type 2 and obesity are coincidental.

The only real cause if it [so far as we can tell] is HFCS. The rise from obscurity to mainstream of Type2 mirrors the rise in HFCS use. Your body cannot regulate the intake of HFCS like it can with sugar, so your blood sugar wildly swings up and down, completely out of control...
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-22 at 09:37 AM.

Yeah, why have a nuanced look at things that incorporates the thinking and approach of medical professionals when you can just use your daddy as an example and label everyone as lazy slobs and gluttons. Did a fat man hurt you? There must be something deeper here to trigger your hate of anyone with a higher BMI than you deem appropriate.

Hah! I've seen that often. Almost like the more expensive the items the faster it serves the clothes. This is especially so for those ellipticals - see Craigslists for sale, barely used. You have to really tryout some equipment at the gym to see if it's for you. Long term. Especially the complex items.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...Billions just in excise equipment alone that is purchased then 3 weeks later it becomes a clothes rack.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-22 at 10:00 AM.

Hah! I've seen that often. Almost like the more expensive the items the faster it serves the clothes. This is especially so for those ellipticals - see Craigslists for sale, barely used. You have to really tryout some equipment at the gym to see if it's for you. Long term. Especially the complex items.

Remember the last line of the commercial, "and it folds flat for easy storage under your bed..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast