Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Ohio State won't be replacing its turf despite safety concerns.College football world blasts Ohio State's controversial move [[thecomeback.com)

Thanks, a heap Lions Defense.

BILLS 28
    LIONS 25

4-7

Eleven down six to go.

Our defense goofed. But it's a long try. Bobby Layne Curse kicked in.
    Last edited by Danny; November-25-22 at 12:23 PM.

Offensive coordinator cost them that game. Why would you throw long on 3rd down and 1 in the last minute? You want the extra downs with the 1st down to score a touchdown or make the field goal shorter and to kill the clock so the Bills can't do exactly what they did. There was some clever play calling throughout the game but then he turns around and does that?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Offensive coordinator cost them that game.
    I thought it was a great game. There were mistakes on both sides. The Lions were disciplined and committed few penalties. Lions' coach made a clock management error, and the missed throw to Chark was a bad call. However, the refs missed an egregious facemask penalty on Detroit's #23 [[Hughes) on 2nd & 7 with 10 seconds remaining in the fourth QTR when Josh Allen was given a first down. That play should have resulted in a 15-yard penalty. Probably the game would have gone to overtime in which the team that won the coin toss would have won IMHO.

Look at the film footage of Allen's last run. I tried to snip and sketch it but was unable to capture the screenshot from Yahoo TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Our defense goofed.
    Danny, the refs blew a facemask call on Josh Allen's last run. Look at the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Danny, the refs blew a facemask call on Josh Allen's last run. Look at the footage.
    And that's why our defense sucked. Can't cheat in Football.

Goff had two WRs wide open on that last play. And he should have made the throw he did attempt.

There's a lot of talk about "progress" and how good the Bills are, but the Wildcard isn't decided by moral victories. Really was hoping to see the Lions pul that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    There's a lot of talk about "progress" and how good the Bills are, but the Wildcard isn't decided by moral victories. Really was hoping to see the Lions pul that one out.
    Of course, we all were hoping for a win. Nevertheless, the progress is evident. The missed facemask penalty on Allen's final run was evident, too. The refs probably wanted the game to be over so they could have some Turkey. They just pretended not to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    And that's why our defense sucked. Can't cheat in Football.
    I'm not sure what you mean? The defense sucked because of a missed facemask penalty? The refs cheated? Please help me out here.

Lions will have plenty of draft picks in 2023, possibly including a second or third pick in the first round from LA Rams. I'm hoping they use their picks to bolster the defensive line. I hope they go with Goff at least a few more years as I seem to be one of the few who thinks he's a winning QB and a leader.

I'm with you on not drafting a QB this year. I think Goff plays out the final two years of his contract. I could see them drafting one in 2024, him sitting behind Goff, and taking over after that. I've said all along that they should follow the Chiefs roadmap, which was build out the rest of the team, then go get your hotshot young QB. Freeing up Goff's money at that point would let them re-sign guys like Okudah, Sewell, Jonah Jackson, and other players that they'll want as established veterans.

They'll have four picks in the first two rounds coming up. Hopefully they can end up with either Will Anderson or Jaylen Carter with LA's pick. Ideally, the first two rounds would yield a D-Lineman, Linebacker, Cornerback, and Offensive Guard.

No matter what, though, Alex Anzalone has got to go. He makes one highlight reel play per game, and somehow manages to use that to deflect the fact that he's a liability for nearly every other play.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I'm with you on not drafting a QB this year. I think Goff plays out the final two years of his contract. I could see them drafting one in 2024, him sitting behind Goff, and taking over after that. I've said all along that they should follow the Chiefs roadmap, which was build out the rest of the team, then go get your hotshot young QB.
    I am not disagreeing with your thinking but I will point out that multiple MVPs and Super Bowl winning QB talent on a rookie contract is not sitting in the draft every year waiting for the right team to pick him within the perfect timing of a build. If Brad Homes thinks that there is a QB that is even remotely close to the talent of Patrick Mahomes you draft him immediately. As far as the ‘when’ to draft that level talent? Never pass and say the timing wasn’t right.

I thought it was the other way around. But you're probably correct.
    Now that I think about it, you were right. They'll have 3 picks, their 2 and the Rams which should be a high pick since they're not having a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Now that I think about it, you were right. They'll have 3 picks, their 2 and the Rams which should be a high pick since they're not having a good year.
    I'm just hoping that the Lions don't fail at rebuilding like the Cleveland Browns did. At the time I didn't follow Cleveland's draft strategy. But IIRC they had a raft of high picks a few years ago, but the outcome was less than stellar. Now they look pathetic again with a serial molester at QB.

IMHO the Lions should surround Goff with talent, and be patient about drafting another play action QB, perhaps like J.J McCarthy in a few years.

The Browns are on their 8th general manager in like the last 15 years. And it's not like they've been situations where one steps down and the next one just continues on. They all want to put their mark on things, and end up undoing what the last guy did. You can't build a foundation with that model.

I think Holmes, so far, looks like the right guy for the job. He's made a few moves I bet he wishes he could have back [[Trinity Benson trade, the DT they drafted in the second round in 2021 whose name I can't remember) but he's hit well on his 1st round picks, and has found a lot of value in the later rounds, something that you never, ever saw here before. His next big test will come soon. Now that the foundational building period is hopefully wrapping up, you'd expect him to start bringing in the 'difference makers' through free agency or trades. The guys that can get them over the top. Hopefully when that time comes, he finds better options than the Trey Flowers and Justin Coleman's of the world.

After last night's loss to the Bills, I think Matt Patricia will be unemployed next year.

I think the Lions are gonna' defeat the Jaguars tomorrow.

I think that Matt Patricia will be coaching high school football next year. Bullying a bunch of zit-faced kids.

I think that Matt Patricia will be coaching high school football next year. Bullying a bunch of zit-faced kids.
    Matt Patricia was just one of many disliked former Lions coaches. There are some but not many remembered in a good way - none that I can think of are held in high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Matt Patricia was just one of many disliked former Lions coaches. There are some but not many remembered in a good way - none that I can think of are held in high regard.
    Slightly disagree. Wayne Fontes was beloved around here and so was Jim Caldwell. In Caldwell's case, he wasn't allowed to finish the job by inept GM Matt Quinn who canned him because it wasn't his choice to be HC before he got here. Seems crazy, but Caldwell has the highest winning % of any HC in Lions history with a 36-28 [[.563) record in his 4 years here. They went 11-5 in his first season, their best record since 12-4 in 91. The Lions made the playoffs 2 out of those 4 years, and just missed the 3rd. Quinn's mantra to JC was 9-7 isn't good enough which was a BS excuse to fire him. Did he make mistakes, especially in regard to game and clock management? Absolutely. But they had him on a leash shorter than other HCs who made the same mistakes. Well...They haven't even been able to equal that. Most people around the NFL know JC got screwed.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-04-22 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Most people around the NFL know JC got screwed.
    Agreed. And Quinn should be coaching junior varsity flag football in North Korea.

BTW: WAPO NFL analyst Jason La Canfora says good things about Jared Goff's leadership of the "Detroit Lions, who are poised to pick in the top five with a selection acquired from the Los Angeles Rams, are another interesting case. Detroit also holds its own first-round pick, giving the front office leverage and flexibility to take a blue-chip player at another position and still possibly get a top quarterback with that second pick. And current starter Jared Goff has been plenty functional under buzzy rookie offensive coordinator Ben Johnson as well."

The 2023 NFL draft could be filled with fireworks - The Washington Post

Well done LIONS.

LIONS 40
    JAGUAR 14

5-7

Twelve down, five to go.

Goff making touchdowns. Lions' offense making rush yards and make more field goals Lions made a 'fumblerooskis' against the Jags! Lions defense redeemed themselves.

What a cat fight! But the Lions took the commanding lead and never look back.

RESULT COMP ATT YDS TD INT SACK FUM RAT
    1. Jalen Hurts, QB PHI W 35-10 vs. TEN 29 39 380 3 0 2 0 130.3
    2. Geno Smith, QB SEA W 27-23 at LAR 28 39 367 3 1 4 1 116.1
    3. Jared Goff, QB DET W 40-14 vs. JAX 31 41 340 2 0 2 0 115.9

Poor Matthew Stafford has been so severely pummeled and sacked during his career that he's likely to have early-onset dementia. At least he got a Superbowl ring. I doubt that at this point he knows whether he's dreaming, playing football, or making stupid TV commercials. Sad...

This team has clearly turned a corner but has a couple more to turn.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast