Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

^ it has to do with accountability in this case,in this city code enforcement is an entity on its own and even the supervisor is exempt from tort including anybody under him and nobody can override their decisions.

Yes they flagged a commercial property that I was invested in for structural issues,I had a structural engineer and the mayor sent the building department out to verify there was no structural deficiency’s but code still said because they said do it was.

But I have over 1500 signatures from other residents that were flagged for structural issues that did not exist and had fines levied on them as a result of,they had to spend time and money to prove their case and most of those were ones that could least afford it.

The permitting aspect they switched online and am going through that now with a roof replacement and new build 30x35 garage with a future rental apartment on top.

That once I figured out how to navigate the site was a excellent process,you do not have to talk to anybody like the old days it took me about an hour to take pictures of documents and upload them and I printed out the approved permits the next day,where in the past it was a lot of trips and hours of time.

Most of the stuff like what is happening in Detroit with property tax assessments and disputing them is a nightmare to deal with ,sometimes I think by design as most will only deal with it 1 time.

The whole concept is local accountability to the actual taxpayer,people should not have to feel frustrated when it comes to city services.

In Detroits case there are some very dedicated and helpful employees with-in the system but the problem is they are not as a rule and behind the scenes and not easy accessible to the citizen that does not do business with the city on a regular basis.

I hope my current actions helps make the city a little better,as an example if somebody wants to open a restaurant,it takes them up to a year to get all the inspections and approvals.

They still have to cover the rent on the building in the meantime and what it is doing is favoring national franchises over the small independent potential startups,because they can afford the carrying costs.

We did the same thing with food trucks,when we started the process there was less then 100 food trucks in the city/region ,now there are over 500,that opened the door for 400 more people to become independent business owners,which increased the tax base and provided options to the residents.

People joke about food trucks but I have customers that are pulling in over $500k a year - with a food truck,that kind of revenue is a big impact on the community and the owners live,work and play locally.
    Last edited by Richard; June-28-22 at 12:12 PM.