Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by easycomeeasygo View Post
    Can someone, a news article, anyone please address the red gas can lying out front in the picture?
    Yes what's up with that gas can. I heard on the news yesterday, in the wake of the rekindling, arson investigators were on that site. There was a closed restaurant in my neighborhood that recently had a red gas can next to an open boarded up window. That was prior to the TJ&S fire and was reported. So there may be some arsonist free lancing out there leaving plastic gas cans as calling cards. But the investigators would know if that is the case and will work to solve the problem.

It was getting long in the tooth and that remodel will make them competitive with all the surrounding places.

Canuck, you might be right about the derivation of the word. In the 60s, the Snug had its own entrance located in the corner of the building where Second and Canfield meet. It was mainly an Ice Cream parlor, non--alcoholic. For the public it was separate from TJs [[though same owners). Staff likely moved between the two. Great place for high school kids and families.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Probably where the word snug in the restaurant’s name came from. In Ireland, whenever a pub is partitioned to host families or friends for more privacy, they are called snugs.

As a barely-able-to-enter-a-bar-at-18 youth, I entered TJ&S. My memory could be mistaken, but I recall a raucous, dark, packed with students place that scared my innocent self just a bit. Am I crazy [[about this)?

[[Many good memories since then of TJ&S, with almost universal affection for the people and place. Sad to see. Also many thanks to them for breaking the absurd liquor trusts down and getting microbrewing going when the winds were against.

^^ I got more of the impression of the mix of a Cracker Barrel and some type of coffee bar, kind of laid back.

Sir Mouch, yes, dark and raucous at the time w/pool tables and occasional fights. Enjoyed the real yellow traffic light that looked huge indoors. Three lights tall w/lights working.

The fire-devastated Traffic Jam restaurant borrows the Detroit Motto and promises to return.

Name:  trafficjam.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  127.1 KB

Let's put those words in Latin.

SPERAMVS MELIORA RESVRGET CINNERIBVS.

Gotta love that they're using the Morton Salt Girl too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The fire-devastated Traffic Jam restaurant borrows the Detroit Motto and promises to return.

Name:  trafficjam.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  127.1 KB

Made their own beer and, if I recall correctly, ice cream. All great stuff. What a strangely designed restaurant. I remember the one-person bathroom was an oddly sized square with wraparound mirrors. The patchwork aesthetic was just great.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Gotta love that they're using the Morton Salt Girl too.

The gas can is gone though.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The gas can is gone though.
    <chuckle> Thieves stealing from arsonists? What's the world coming to?

FUN FACT: The 41st Governor of Michigan, and Michigan Supreme Court Justice [[at the time) G. Mennen Williams, used to eat at TJ's, by himself, on early Friday evenings back in the late 70s and early 80s. I would see him there regularly on Fridays. Other diners left him alone, which was respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    <chuckle> Thieves stealing from arsonists? What's the world coming to?

Lol x 10. That is the burning question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2