Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Another Handout on the Backs of Taxpayers, Detroit's "Right to Counsel"

I feel like this went under the radar until the final moment, at least, when it comes to the general publics awareness. I'm on several local news sites daily and only heard this on Monday. Apparently the deadbeats have really been rallying for this though as their campaign got everyone on the council to vote yes.

I've been in court for eviction cases, they are usually open and shut. Little evidence needed other than what someone could easily attain by taking pictures and speaking for themselves. "Did you pay your rent? No? Ok, Pay within 30 days or get out. Next case".

Per the Det News:
    "The ordinance will provide $6 million in federal COVID relief funds and another $4 million from a philanthropic partner in its first year to fund court representation to those most in need. Advocates say more than $17 million is needed in the first year of the initiative."

Where will all those finds be coming from once the Covid money dried up? Think of what good could be done with $17 million dollars rather than paying lawyers to attempt to defend those already leaching off someone else's hard work.

When it comes down to it, follow the money. Who is benefiting most from this? The lawyers getting those city checks written to them of course. I wont be surprised to see a year from now that the $17 million turned into 25 million and a total of 10 cases were taken on.
    Last edited by K-slice; May-16-22 at 02:57 PM.