Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm surprised to see Houston on that list of cities losing black people.

Laat decade, behind Atlanta and Dallas, the Greater Houston area saw the greatest inward migration of black people in the country.

The other cities on their list check out though.
    I tend to agree with you. Hard to believe Houston is on the list. I have quite a few close friends that moved there in the last few years and they love it. Atlanta, Dallas, and Charlotte are where a lot of blacks are moving to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I tend to agree with you. Hard to believe Houston is on the list. I have quite a few close friends that moved there in the last few years and they love it. Atlanta, Dallas, and Charlotte are where a lot of blacks are moving to.
    Did your friends move into the city? Do they have a kids? Just wondering if it's a similar situation of people moving to the burbs. Houston still has problems with crime and schools.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Did your friends move into the city? Do they have a kids? Just wondering if it's a similar situation of people moving to the burbs. Houston still has problems with crime and schools.
    Houston is the 4th largest city in the country. It's a vast city area wise. Some moved to Sugarland, others to Katy and Missouri City. These cities are listed as being in Houston city limits, even though I view them as suburbs like Warren, and Oak Park here. Some have school age children, some have no children. At this point, none have experienced any problems with crime or the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's not exactly a similar situation.

Putting aside my skepticism of Houston proper losing a ton of black residents, Greater Houston saw the 4th largest growth of black people in the US from 2010 to 2019 [[with a gain of +181,273). If any black people fleed the city proper, they just moved to the suburbs.

Conversely, Metro Detroit saw the 4th largest decline of black people in the US from 2010 to 2019 [[with a loss of -34,349). In Detroit's case, they're not just moving to the suburbs, but leaving the state entirely in droves.

I'd have to concur. My family represents from the original migration of black people [several siblings together] from the near and far south at the latter end - late fifties - to Detroit. Contrast that with younger family members, cousins, etc who left; relocating in Virginia, Georgia, Cali and Texas mid 2000's.

There's a saying in Atlanta now: 'Please don't send NO more Detroiter's here!'

Heck! It's now so expensive to live in the ATL now - people move to other parts of Georgia - south and north!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ...Conversely, Metro Detroit saw the 4th largest decline of black people in the US from 2010 to 2019 [[with a loss of -34,349). In Detroit's case, they're not just moving to the suburbs, but leaving the state entirely in droves.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-02-22 at 09:48 AM.