Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My sister lives in the Upper Penisula. Once she opened her door and a 2 1/2 foot snake crawled into the house. Her back 40 acres is full of people with guns during hunting season. She and her husband don't want the hunters there, but you can't stop them. It's a swamp and they have been hunting back there longer than my sister has owned the property. Go back there in the wrong season and you fear you will be shot. There is nothing funny about being shot in your own back 40.

Oh yes, and they have bears.

My wife is afraid of bugs, bears, snakes, and basically anything that moves. She would fear for her life in the country!

Look out! A raccoon! There is only one thing to do!! Move to an obscure corner of Detroit where we can be safe!

Is crime so bad when you are living in it and taking precautions? Most likely not, unless you happen to get caught in a bad situation. Just like my sister might get caught, in her back 40.

Should you fear the city? Should you fear the country? Should you fear everything?
    Last edited by RickBeall; September-14-09 at 01:41 PM.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    My sister lives in the Upper Penisula. Once she opened her door and a 2 1/2 foot snake crawled into the house. Her back 40 acres is full of people with guns during hunting season. She and her husband don't want the hunters there, but you can't stop them. It's a swamp and they have been hunting back there longer than my sister has owned the property. Go back there in the wrong season and you fear you will be shot. There is nothing funny about being shot in your own back 40.

Oh yes, and they have bears.

My wife is afraid of bugs, bears, snakes, and basically anything that moves. She would fear for her life in the country!

Look out! A raccoon! There is only one thing to do!! Move to an obscure corner of Detroit where we can be safe!

Is crime so bad when you are living in it and taking precautions? Most likely not, unless you happen to get caught in a bad situation. Just like my sister might get caught, in her back 40.

Should you fear the city? Should you fear the country? Should you fear everything?
    What is your point? By any objective measure Detroit is not a very safe place. Property is not safe, life and limb are not safe[[statistically speaking)Detroit is a very stressful place to live. To condescend toward those that point this very obvious fact out by patronizing them[[us) about what they should fear is silly.

Much of what I read here is a willingness to acquiesce to a criminal element [[ leaving car unlocked)to minimize loss and vandalism. Perhaps a note to the offender to come to your door and you can give them twenty dollars is a good idea. Of course it might seem preposterous [[is is) but then so is leaving cars unlocked to prevent[[maybe) vandalism.

Maybe the best way for Detroiters to respond is the way I once read Frank Sinatra responded to those that criticized his smoking .." You die your way I'll die mine".... whixh is not to say I think anyone should or will die but rather perhaps minding on'e own business is the message.

No, you are just reading the coping strategies. You cope or you run away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ...when crime comes your way.

I understand Sumas' frustration with the police not showing for her stolen purse report a little more brightly this morning.

Had a wonderful time at Cliff Bells tonight, enjoying the Planet D Nonet with RJ Spangler and Buddy Smith.

Hung out hours longer than I wanted, because everything was so perfect.

I had to park two blocks further than normal, because of the Tiger game...and returned to my car to find the passenger window broken out, with the glove box and console ransacked.

They got nothing but maybe $4 worth of change. As far as I can remember, nothing else was available for them.

I left nothing out...and the console was even closed...Saturn has a rolling cover over the cup holders and change pocket.

So now I have to buy a window I cannot afford...because it will be cheaper than the deductible that I also wouldn't be able to pay...and if there were a claim there is NO doubt the insurance company would increase the rate.

No, I didn't make a report. I won't. I don't want to go through the hassle for nothing. I don't see a reason.

Do I want vengeance? Hell yes. That is merely human nature. Will I do anything about it? No. I pray I react well if I ever catch anyone doing that to anyone else ever again. I may have to collect the broken glass in a jar to remind myself to remain calm.

One block from Bookies, two from the Park and Cliff Bells...
    You can't afford a deductible, but you can afford to drink. Makes sense.

DetroitDad Guest

Coping? I disagree, it seems that there are plenty of Detroiters who are working hard to improve Detroit, either out of greed, love, or circumstance. We want a better urban environment close to work or family in Michigan, or want to help others and show loyalty, or are stuck here for one reason or another, or want to cash in on Detroit's gentrification.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    No, you are just reading the coping strategies. You cope or you run away.
    That is almost laughable. Detroit surely leads the way in "runaways".

Yeah, affording an insurance deductible should've been the first thing on my mind planning this evening.

Yanno, I really should've thought twice, or maybe three times, before even considering supporting local arts and establishments, you are absolutely right.

I just don't know how I MISSED that.

There is always somebody who needs to feel superior...on someone else's misfortune. I really hope that makes you feel the better human that you apparently are, Anthony.

Oh wait, I've still got my heart...

Cheers!

Gannon, you're parking on the street in Detroit, you leave stuff visible in your car and you don't anticipate a potential break-in? I'm not blaming the victim, the theft is obviously the fault of the the thief, but don't be naive.

You spend hours thinking about the vast network of conspiracies the government has cooked up but you don't consider that living and partying in Detroit might occasionally involve getting your shit gakked, with all that entails?

It sucks but that's part of the ambiance of city living. Other stuff makes up for it, for those who elect to live in the big city.

Det_ard,

Why don't you actually read the first post before writing nasty comments?

They got nothing but maybe $4 worth of change. As far as I can remember, nothing else was available for them.

I left nothing out...and the console was even closed...Saturn has a rolling cover over the cup holders and change pocket.

I don't know... if I'm in the situation where I'm living from paycheck to paycheck, I'm looking for ways NOT to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Det_ard,

Why don't you actually read the first post before writing nasty comments?
    And why don't you read all the comments so that you may avoid looking like a fool?

Update...I went looking for some tools to tear down a rack during my move, and realized I DID have a toolbox in the car.

Bright Yellow, medium sized. Filled with a twenty five plus year collection of tools.

If anyone sees a scumbag crackhead low-life carrying one around the near-westside, please shoot them on sight. Try not to get any blood on it.

Gannon did not say that it was on the front seat. How do you know that the thief didn't take it from the trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    And why don't you read all the comments so that you may avoid looking like a fool?

Because he says it was in the car, not in the trunk.

A trunk is part of a car. Regardless, why are you guys blaming him for what some asshole did?

I hope you did not have anything to do with it. Or you might feel guilty for your own crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    Because he says it was in the car, not in the trunk.

Gannon admits he had stuff out, why can't you?
    Update...I went looking for some tools to tear down a rack during my move, and realized I DID have a toolbox in the car.

Bright Yellow, medium sized. Filled with a twenty five plus year collection of tools.

If anyone sees a scumbag crackhead low-life carrying one around the near-westside, please shoot them on sight. Try not to get any blood on it.

So, I guess I did have stuff out, but the tint of the rears makes it nearly impossible to see...my guess is they broke in and discovered this treasure and ran, not realizing the computer bag was beneath it.

I'm an idiot. [[weird to feel an entire ice-cream dessert nodding in agreement...)

Not blaming him, just questioning his decision making.

So people need to empty their cars when they come into Detroit. What an awful place it is becoming.

But I do see your point. I don't park on the street in Detroit either.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Gannon admits he had stuff out, why can't you?

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    Not blaming him, just questioning his decision making.
    Same here. I've been in his shoes. I've learned.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01
    So people need to empty their cars when they come into Detroit. What an awful place it is becoming.
    If I have numerous valuables in my truck [[laptop, tools, electronics) I've opted to bypass an imprompto get-together in Detroit if I know I'll have to park on the street. I won't take the risk. When we plan in advance I'll pretty much empty out the truck, and that's a hassle because I usually keep a bunch of stuff in my truck. Sad but true.

I had the window of my $400 minivan smashed so they could steal 5 quarts of oil in a box on the backseat. I also had the rusty wheels stolen off a $10 bicycle chained to my front porch. My apartment was broken into, along with about 1/3 of the units in my building, and everything of value was stolen. I then left the Cass Corridor for southwest, got a pit bull, and the problems stopped. I didnt have any problems there or on the eastside near Harper and Morang. Now that i live in Toledo, we still return to the D'every weekend, and always enjoy ourselves, but i sure dont miss the bs crime.

Hate to blame the victim, but you just don't leave anything of
    value in your car, anytime, anywhere. And, you need to make
    a police report, even if it's inconvenient to go into the precinct to do so. Police response is based on the number of incidents in an area and they focus on trouble spots, so if you don't
    report it, the next guy to have a problem doesn't get the
    police attention either. Believe it or not, the police are making progress with response times, etc. Have faith and
    use common sense. Don't leave anything of value in your
    car, ever.

I've always emptied my car out of visible items when I'm going to Detroit, which is every day...but I do that in the suburbs now too.
    Look at the crime report for Birmingham-Bloomfield-Troy and you'll see it dominated by few violent crimes but lots of petty car break-ins ...mostly teenagers breaking into cars parked on the street for GPS units, cel phones, computers, anything folks leave in there.
    My brother's Bloomfield neighborhood has been hit hard by those crimes of opportunity...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3