Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    You're only looking at one time costs though. The goal would be to reduce the overall maintenance and reconstruction cost. Replacing the bridges as is would be cheaper for one time cost, but removing 5-6 bridges from the list that need maintenance over the long term will decrease the overall cost. Not to mention the social and economic benefits of removing the highway.
    Agreed, not all benefits can be monetized, or shown on a balance sheet. The Improvements made on Kercheval are a prime example of that. This has been THE case that is always made against mass transit. "It doesn't pay for itself so I don't want it".

Those new bike lanes, medians, and bus shelters generate $0 in revenue themselves, but if having them helps convince a couple people to buy a home or start a business in the neighborhood, then they've more than paid for themselves.

I see a lot on here that will greatly improve quality of life, increase property values, and attract new residents. Three things that NEED to be top priority with this cash.

^ but you still need to have a solid infrastructure to support the advance otherwise you are just putting lipstick on a pig.

I am seeing zero on the wish list when it comes to mass transit,which makes it appear as though the city is still choosing to remain auto eccentric over providing options,which is the exact opposite of what other cities are doing.

They spent millions creating bike lanes in the city I am in,but it remains one of the most dangerous cities to ride a bicycle in the country,they have switched to bike trails now and they are packed verses the actual bike lanes where you rarely see anybody brave enough to use them.

I kinda think the design is flawed more so then the intent.
    Last edited by Richard; February-08-22 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ but you still need to have a solid infrastructure to support the advance otherwise you are just putting lipstick on a pig.

I am seeing zero on the wish list when it comes to mass transit,which makes it appear as though the city is still choosing to remain auto eccentric over providing options,which is the exact opposite of what other cities are doing.

They spent millions creating bike lanes in the city I am in,but it remains one of the most dangerous cities to ride a bicycle in the country,they have switched to bike trails now and they are packed verses the actual bike lanes where you rarely see anybody brave enough to use them.

I kinda think the design is flawed more so then the intent.
    There are packed bike trails in Metro Detroit? If so I've somehow missed them as an avid cyclist... And I see the protected bikes lanes used frequently on Michigan and Cass so I'm not sure where that info comes from either.

We all agree that mass transit is a problem but you can't build a system with no one to run it, OR regional cooperation. Even for localized expansions, 375 removal is something to complete before running anything down Jefferson. Some private funds may materialize in the not too distant future for transit on MI Ave if Ford gets more tech to move into their MCS Campus. Maybe the Grand River work will include some provisions for future center running rail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2